Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

biggest cam choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 03:14 PM
Banned

Question biggest cam choice

Well guys, looks like one of the lobes on the cam i got about a year ago is worn and was causing problems. i am going to replace it.....and i was wondering what is the biggest cam i can get with my mods. the one that was in there was supposed to be 234/244, .488/.510 or something very close to that (lost the spec card). the mods are in the sig below, but basically its a pontiac 400 with the edelbrock 72CC heads (no port work done, just out of the box), performer RPM intake and 750 speed-demon with hooker supercomps out thru dual dumps. i don't mind going wild, i use the car mainly to race it and fill in when one of the other cars is down. which usually isn't much at all. pontiac cams seems to be rather scarce where i have looked, so any links or specific cams would be appreciated. thanks.

------------------
96 WS.6 T/A, A4, Black w/ white 30th ann. stripes , polished chrome WS.6 rims, all options. Factory Ram Air w/K&N, AS&M 58MM TB, port Matched Intake, !TB, 160 Thermo, Fastchip custom tune,Aero AFPR, 30# SVO Injectors, Hooker Longtube Headers, Flowmaster 3" catback, Cutout, 3200 PI TC, Transgo Shift Kit, B&M Supercooler, LT4 Hotcam, 1.6 GMPP Rockers, springs etc., LT4KM, Hypertech Crank Pulley, Motive 3.73's, TA Cover, Nitrous Express #20920 Kit.

1980 T/A Metallic Blue Stock '73 400ci YN bottom end, Speed Demon 750 carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, K&N X-Stream Assembly, Edelbrock Performer RPM 72cc Heads, 1.5 roller tip rockers, Cam: custom grind hydraulic roller, dur. @.050 234/244, lift .488/.510, Hooker Supercomp Headers, dual 3" cutouts behind headers.
TH-350 Tranny, shift kit, Vig 3600 Stall converter, Hurst V-Matic. Richmond 3.90 Gears, ET Streets. 150 NOS Sniper coming soon!

1995 Eclipse GS-T, Auto, TurboXs BC, Brode Upper I/C pipe and MAS->Turbo pipe, TurboXs RBV-BOV, Blitz Timer, K&N FIPK, Autometer gauges.

http://www.fbody.com/members/rycekiller/eclipsesig.jpg
http://www.sffba.com/images/sigpics/badblack.jpg

[This message has been edited by BAD BLACK WS6 (edited June 10, 2002).]
Old 06-10-2002, 09:09 PM
Banned

Arrow

well, i can offer an opinion to myself. lol, how about the comp cams magnum CCA-51-240-4. its dur @.050 is 244/244 and lift is .501/.501. too much? sounds pretty wild to me. i can order it right out of summit.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:30 AM

I'll tell you who to contact, Larry at Lazer Cams, this guy is great, while i haven't had the need to buy one just yet, i have spoken to him a few times. He is quiet familiar with Pontiacs too.
Ace (Ken Brewer) at P.P.R. deals exlcuisively with him. I don't have Kens number or website around.

I seriously suggest going tight lash solid, or roller (if you can afford everything else)
E heads will take up to .550" lift i believe, maybe .575", but double check that.
my friend runs the CC305 cam, and i will admit (while not in favor of single pattern cams) it runs extreml strong.
hopefully that info works for you

http://www.lazercams.com/

also may want to try calling the Kauffmans at KRE, krepower.com
Old 06-11-2002, 05:17 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don 79 TA:
I'll tell you who to contact, Larry at Lazer Cams, this guy is great, while i haven't had the need to buy one just yet, i have spoken to him a few times. He is quiet familiar with Pontiacs too.
Ace (Ken Brewer) at P.P.R. deals exlcuisively with him. I don't have Kens number or website around.

</font>
Hey it is funny that you mention lazer cams. I have been looking for them lately because in 94 we had a 388 motor built and had a lazer cam installed. We switched to a 355 in 99 but in the mean time the cam card got lost and all I knew was the part number and a estimated lift (actually measured it with a dial guage with the cam in the motor). I found the cam and now I got the duration and lobe separation numbers. Thanks for the link you saved me a BIG hedache.

------------------
Wayne Best
Best Racing
67 rs Camaro
  • 355 cu in Chevy
  • 12.5:1 compression
  • 10.90s @ 120 mph

87 Formula 350 w/388cu.in. motor

www.geocities.com/best_racing
Old 06-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don 79 TA:

I seriously suggest going tight lash solid, or roller (if you can afford everything else)
E heads will take up to .550" lift i believe, maybe .575", but double check that.
my friend runs the CC305 cam, and i will admit (while not in favor of single pattern cams) it runs extreml strong.
hopefully that info works for you

also may want to try calling the Kauffmans at KRE, krepower.com
</font>

Hell yeah! i ordered the CC305 today from summit. Sounds like just what i was looking for. i didn't know they had that cam, it wasn't listed of course(what pontiac parts are). the guy said he had one, yes just one, on hand. so i changed from "let me get my order together" to "let me order it now". picked up some summit lifters for half price of the name brand lifters too. i got a guy on the phone who is a pontiac enthusiast, and he was very helpful. told me to ask for him whenever i call summit. so that worked out great that i saw this post and called on the availability today. Thanks for the recommendation, seems the lift on that cam is .525, which is below the max lift on my heads, of what i was just told is .540. car should sound and run insanely with this cam. hope i don't break anything though. can't imagine what it will do if i add a 125 shot of nitrous. i better just order my $225 cooling fan though, nitrous can come later. gotta be somewhat responsible.