Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

any help on my 84 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 10:36 PM

any help on my 84 vette?

Sorry this isn't a classic camaro question, but I only post on here about my camaro and now that my other car is getting old, I don't know where else to go for help! My registration to a vette forum should go through soon.....darn it.

Ok, just got an 84 corvette automatic. Here's the problems.

-When I drive down the freeway, the voltage reads around 12.5. If I turn on any electronics, (radio, headlights, turnsignals) the voltage will drop to like 11.5 and almost die. New battery and alternator, both were tested to be holding a charge and putting out a charge. So this means its a problem in the wiring between the battery and something electronic that is coneected to everything, right? Can anyone narrow that down any or do I just have to bite the bullet and take it to the shop?

-Also, twice after driving for a bit, then stopping to get gas or something, when I went to start the car, the dash lights and everything came on, but no click or turning of the motor. Then if I wait like 15 minutes or so, it will start up again. Is that related to the low battery or you think i might need a new starter?

-Also, on a cold start, the car sits at 900 rpm. After driving around town for a long time, it starts to fluxuate the idle at about 500-600 rpm. Once it just died on me. Do I just tighten the throttle cable to get it to sit a little higher or do I have to have it done at the shop in the computers?

-Does anyone know a lot about these cross-fire injection motors? Do you know if I just take off the intake manifold can it be switched out to a throttle body injection? I believe the motor in this car was a L38, what is the difference between this and an LT1 besides the throttle body injection and the crossfire injection?

-The guy I got it from says he installed a posi rearend. How can I tell if it is? When I jam on the pedal from a stop light, there is none-very little tire spin, but it seems like there is no power in the car at all. It seems like it revs up high, but the car doesnt go anywhere. If this was the tranny, wouldn't I smell something like when I had a clutch go out on the camaro? So could it be the posi rear end slowing the car down? Is there a way to wire in a way to turn it off?

-When I go to shut the car off, being used to my other cars, i sometimes give it a good rev before I turn the key off. In this car, if i accidently rev and shut it off, in about 8 seconds, a great bang! backfire comes out the tailpipe. It's a pretty cool trick, but what does it mean? Anything bad? If I don't rev and just shut it off, nothing happens.

-last one, i swear. Ok, he says there is a performance chip on there. If I am at a dead stop and am in "drive" and jam on the pedal, at WOT the first gear doesn't shift until 6,000rpm. Problem is the car starts boggin out at like 5,000rpm. The other gears after that are ok, they shift at a lower point. Any advice?

Thanks for any help I get you guys!!
Thanks again guys!!
Toby

Last edited by TK Projects; 01-15-2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:14 AM

Re: any help on my 84 vette?

Originally posted by TK Projects

-The guy I got it from says he installed a posi rearend. How can I tell if it is? When I jam on the pedal from a stop light, there is none-very little tire spin, but it seems like there is no power in the car at all. It seems like it revs up high, but the car doesnt go anywhere. If this was the tranny, wouldn't I smell something like when I had a clutch go out on the camaro? So could it be the posi rear end slowing the car down? Is there a way to wire in a way to turn it off?

--last one, i swear. Ok, he says there is a performance chip on there. If I am at a dead stop and am in "drive" and jam on the pedal, at WOT the first gear doesn't shift until 60rpm. Problem is the car starts boggin out at like 50rpm. The other gears after that are ok, they shift at a lower point. Any advice?

Thanks for any help I get you guys!!
Thanks again guys!!
Toby
All Corvettes had factory installed posi after a certain year, 68 or 71, something like that. As far as it revving, but not moving, could be worn out clutches. Wouldn't smell like manual clutches cause it's inside the tranny. TV cable could also be misadjusted, which might also cause high shift points and slipping.

The Cease Fire intake system was never a power house, so the lack of power and 5,000 rpm ceiling might be normal.

If batt and alternator are good, disconnect battery and check the amount of resistance between output stud of alternator and battery + cable with a multimeter. Should be low (1 ohm or less). If it's high, then you have a bad connection in between. Also check to make sure that there is 12 volts being fed from the key switch to the alternator. On 70's alternators this excite voltage went to terminal #2, no idea where it goes on an 84 alternator. Without this voltage coming from the key switch, the alternator never charges. I've seen the fuse blow on a mid 80's Z28 that caused system not to charge.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:52 PM

Re: any help on my 84 vette?

Originally posted by TK Projects

-Also, on a cold start, the car sits at 9,000 rpm. After driving around town for a long time, it starts to fluxuate the idle at about 5,000-6,000 rpm. Once it just died on me. Do I just tighten the throttle cable to get it to sit a little higher or do I have to have it done at the shop in the computers?

-last one, i swear. Ok, he says there is a performance chip on there. If I am at a dead stop and am in "drive" and jam on the pedal, at WOT the first gear doesn't shift until 60rpm. Problem is the car starts boggin out at like 50rpm. The other gears after that are ok, they shift at a lower point. Any advice?
wow, 9k rpm idle? no wonder it dies...I don't think you want teh idle to be any higher

And a shift at 60RPM? Must be something new...dang those corvettes sure defy logic, don't they?

(just giving you a good natured ribbing)
Old 01-21-2003, 09:54 PM

www.corvetteactioncenter.com

what ever questoin you have about vettes i can be answered there.