Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

What high powered amp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 02:13 AM

Ok then....I will get a mono amp. I'm liking this one
Old 06-07-2003, 10:45 AM

get that amp here
Old 06-07-2003, 02:30 PM

please at least get a good mono block. Profile, boss, crunch and amps like those are all peak power amps meaning no good. Look on ebay for Xtant, Jl, JBL, Mmats, old rockford, orion, ppi, us amps. I buy amps off there all the time and get a really good deal. I bought two Xtant 1001dx amp for around 250 apiece. Each one puts out around 1500rms not peak. Jbl 600.1 will do over 600w/rms and can be had for less than 200. I've seen jbl 1200.1's go for around 200. Look for quality not flashy cases and big numbers on the case.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:26 PM

HAHAHAHAHA You guys just pointed out the same amp! hehehe

Don't buy from Crutchfield. They are a great company and have outstanding customer service.... but damn... their prices reflect it!

Profile is considered bottom of the barrel quality. I mentioned your best bangs for the buck. Those amps will output MORE then rated power and will withstand a beating a little more then..... profile. Yuk. And bt96 is right about the Audiobahn's. They aren't the best quality either.... although they are starting to get their act together with the Flame line... but still. I wouldn't buy any of their products due to the fact their older subs (such as the ones you pointed out) would fry with half their rated power.... It's been going on for years....

And
·Dual 4 Ohm ---- Dual? meaning 2 voice coils???
·2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation ---- That depends on how u wire it right?
this is correct. I recommend getting the dual 2 ohm version. Then you will want to wire the TWO voice coils (on each sub) together in series. For a load of 4 ohms. THEN wire the subs together in parallel, for a final load of 2 ohms. If you get the dual 4 ohm ones, you will want at 1 ohm stable amp. If you are looking for a qulaity pair of 12"s, check out these.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by bt96ss
I bought two Xtant 1001dx amp for around 250 apiece. Each one puts out around 1500rms not peak. Jbl 600.1 will do over 600w/rms and can be had for less than 200. I've seen jbl 1200.1's go for around 200.
Dang....How did u find those that cheap because i'm seeing things like $260 for a Kicker kx600.1 and such.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:21 PM

The 1200.1 goes for about $275 new. If he seen one for under $200, it was used. The 600.1 does go for under $200. I recommend going with one of these two.... they will give you the most power for your money.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:29 PM

Hey..... here's an amp someone pointed out. I think the price is good but does it sound like a nice lil' deal? And would I need some sorta capacitor with an amp like this?
Old 06-08-2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by 1KillerV6
Hey..... here's an amp someone pointed out. I think the price is good but does it sound like a nice lil' deal? And would I need some sorta capacitor with an amp like this?
That's it! And that seems like a decent price too. Do you have an amp on your mids and highs? If so, you will most likely have some headlight dimming issues. If no amp.... you still might. A cap will help your dimming, but it won't really solve the problem that exists. The solution? A high output alternator. You can find them all over the place. The trick is to get one that is high output AT IDLE. If it does not do this.... DO NOT buy it. I don't want you to waste your money like I did. E-mail my buddy Dominick over at Irragi Alternator. Tell him I sent you and he'll hook it up. ( dominick@tds.net ) He has several different models that are a direct bolt-on for the f-bodies. If a H/O alt. is a little out of your price range, maybe look in the phone book for a local alternator shop. Maybe they can rebuild yours to output more. If that's still too expensive....go with the cap. Either way, can't have your car driving around at night winking at everybody!
Old 06-08-2003, 10:55 PM

Here's the same amp off ebay for cheaper but I have a question bcause I have never used ebay. Eventually the time will run out to buy these amps and i'm not quite ready to buy it just yet. When the time has run out, those amp's will go away and that will prolly be the time I can buy one but there won't be any to buy. What am I suppose to do?
Old 06-08-2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by firebirdude
Do you have an amp on your mids and highs? If no amp.... you still might. A cap will help your dimming, but it won't really solve the problem that exists. The solution? A high output alternator. E-mail my buddy Dominick over at Irragi Alternator. Tell him I sent you and he'll hook it up. ( dominick@tds.net ) He has several different models that are a direct bolt-on for the f-bodies. If that's still too expensive....go with the cap.
No I don't have an amp on mids and highs. About how much would it cost to get a cheap high output alternator from ur buddy or anywhere? I'm thinking I would prolly go with a cap cuz its prolly cheaper. What are some good brands for caps?
Old 06-09-2003, 12:33 PM

There are always 1200.1's on Ebay. If that auction has ended before you are ready to buy, there will be more for that price. If not, go to www.ikesound.com . They sell on Ebay all the time. The seller goes by the name of Scala1. But I think if you order from their site, you get free shipping. A quality H/O alt. is gonna cost you a couple of hundred bucks. A cap... of the net, probably about $70 for 1 farad. But like I said, a H/O alt. will solve the problem not cover it up. Quality brands? I use Lightning Audio. They've been good to me.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:34 PM

Ok so I read somewhere that the amp needs to be on the low pass setting which makes sense. I had my amp on full so I switched it to low and it isn't as loud and the tone is different on low notes. Also when I had it on full and changed the bass on the head deck to almost nothing.....it wouldn't play loud....just like I would expect. Now that its on low pass if I turn down the bass....its still sorta loud. I don't like the way the bass sounds in low pass as much but I think I need to adjust some things. My amp is really cheap and my Audiobahn 10's are okay I think but could that be why it doesn't sound too great? I'm hoping that a JBL BP1200.1 amp and some good 12" subs will have a much better SQ.