Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

viper alarm,"maybe needs reprogrammed???"

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 AM

viper alarm,"maybe needs reprogrammed???"

hi,
i just purchased a 91 rs camaro. and it has a viper alarm system. i have found the box, but i really dont know to much about alarm systems, anyways here is my problem, when i hook up the battery the alarm will stay off until you put the key in the ignition,and try to start the car, at this time it will go off,and continue to go off and on every 15-20 sec. until i unhook the battery, my keyless remote doesnt seem to phase it a bit when i push the buttons on it. i would have thought me putting the key in the ignition would have turned it off. it looks to have been professionally installed, all the parking lights and warning lights all work with it,and mounted nicely. could it be that my key fob is out of sinc with the alarm? is there a standard way to reprogram my remote to the system for the viper system? i dont have any info on the alarm,except the numbers on the box. any help would be greatly appreciated, i think the car sat a little bit before i bought it, but i will actually use the alarm if i can get it figured out. again thanks,and sorry for the long post. p.s. if there is any troubleshooting sites you guys know of that would also be great appreciated as well, thanks again.
phil

p.s. the alarm will go off just by closing the hood,or opening the door as well,
Old 02-27-2009, 12:40 AM

does anyone know how to reprogram these remotes?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 AM

in the owner's guide for a 560xv, it says to re-sync the remote simply press the lock button several times within range of the vehicle. The alarm will automatically re-sync and respond to the transmitters normally.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM

thanks for the reply. i tried that though. and nothing. i did however figure out that, the alarm stops going off as long as the door is closed,as soon as you open it, it goes off till you close it. but the remote doesnt seem to be responding to the brain box at all. thanks for the reply.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 PM

is your key fob a DEI remote or do you have a GM one? if its a GM one your doors will lock and unlock but it is an entirely sepparate system from the DEI Viper. If its a DEI and still works the door locks, there is something wrong with the wiring or the brain.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 AM

thanks for the reply, its the key fob for the viper system.it has a light on it,and it lights up when you hit the button, but nothing seems to work. i have just unhooked it right now.i am selling the car,so i will let the next owner have it looked at if they want to keep it. thanks for your time though.