Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Viper 5000 alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 PM

Viper 5000 alarm?

Anybody have this system in there camaro, just curious if its a good alarm, and is the install easy?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:20 PM

Re: Viper 5000 alarm?

I have it installed in my Yukon. I think that Viper systems are the best of the best. This is one of several I have had over the years. The dealer installed mine for like $50.00. They can do in 1-1.5 hours what it would take me 4-5. I value my time.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by jdhudson
I have it installed in my Yukon. I think that Viper systems are the best of the best. This is one of several I have had over the years. The dealer installed mine for like $50.00. They can do in 1-1.5 hours what it would take me 4-5. I value my time.
if i can find a place to install that system for that price ill get it done to, what did you pay for your 5000?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:21 PM

Seems like it was around $250 installed, I elected to not install the starter kill this time which saved about $50.00. Some claim Clifford is better (both and several more owned by Directed Electromics) but I've never had a problem with Viper.

Go to http://www.directed.com/contact/locator.asp
Old 02-04-2006, 05:28 PM

You may want to take a look at Clifford systems. They now own Viper (or maybe the other way around). I have a Clifford G5 in my convertable- excellent protection. I opted for the Clifford since it came with a motion sensor to allow me to leave the top down and it will alarm and disable the car if anyone reaches inside the car. In my case, anyone with a pocket-knife can cut my top and they're in, so the alarm has paid for itself numerous times- leave the top down to show people there's nothing in the car to take ant it warns them not to even try! It includes a warn-away zone along with the full alarm, both of which are fully adjustable for sensitivity. The siren installed with the system is L O U D and will make any thief very uncomfortable should he decide to stay inside the car for any time. I had the system installed while the car still had dealer plates on it and have considered it an excellent investment. If you turn the sensitivity up in the motion sensor, it will even sacre away the frigin stray cats to keep them off the car!

The system has infinate expandability and the system seems very high quality, including the remote. I've had it for nearly 3 years now and could not be happier- would buy again. It seemed a little pricy compared to others, but well worth it.

Allen
Old 02-05-2006, 12:02 PM

how much did you pay for it... i have a vert and i always wondered if there was a barrier alarm since i have a vert
Old 02-05-2006, 10:32 PM

Yeah DEI owns Viper, Clifford, Avital etc. All good stuff, mainly the Viper and Clifford though. I'll be going with a Viper XV-791 2-way w/ LCD ($180 with Best Buy discount, reg. $499 )and a motion sensor under the center console for when my t-tops are off. I printed out the wiring code for the Camaro and it looks like it may be a tad bit of fun. Lock and unlock use relays, and unlock also needs a 1.5k resistor. There's separate left and right door triggers which needs to be diode isolated, VATS bypass (for remote start if so desired) and 5-wire locks. Basically, its a pain in the ***. I could easily see install reaching $150+ for labor and parts not including the alarm/remote start. If anyone is willing to charge less, go for it and take advantage of them barring they do a good job. Installing it is going to take me forever...
Old 02-05-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
how much did you pay for it... i have a vert and i always wondered if there was a barrier alarm since i have a vert
Paid about $400 installed. Good investment since I can leave the top down and not worry. Another option (I don't use) is the Blackjack- a car-jacking deterrant. The Clifford G5 has worked VERY well, but it is only as good as the installer you use.

If you go to www.clifford.com and do some research, then ask questions at the shop, you'll get a good feel of how well the installer knows the system.

I was one of the 1st cars the shop had ever done with the G5 system. They admitted this, but were willing to work with me since they wanted to install and tweak the system for their own training. I was willing to work with them, and it led to a good training experience for both- they learned the system well and I discovered the limits of the system. So far, I have been very happy with the system. I like the fact that it is VERY adjustable and I can tweak it for my own needs. They gave me the tech book that comes with the system that is not generally given to the consumer that addresses the finer details of the system (including full wiring diagrams). It is more than most of the average users will ever use, but I like knowing how the guts of the system works since I'm a twidget by trade.

Best summary is that I like the system as a whole and would buy it again given the option. I looked at others on the market (including all of the DEI brands) and Clifford seemed to offer the best bang-for-the-buck. A little pricey but it really does come down to you get what you pay for. I doubt you could go wrong with a DEI product though today.

Allen
Old 02-06-2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
Lock and unlock use relays,
Only unlock needs relays, lock is a straight negative trigger.

and unlock also needs a 1.5k resistor.
There is no resistor required for unlock on the camaro. The 2006 Cobalt in your signature would need a 1.5K resistor though so maybe that's what you were looking up.

and 5-wire locks.
The two 5-wire setups are only required for unlock. Wire the blue wire from the 791's door lock harness to the relay for the driver's door, and the blue (-) 2nd unlock output wire from the 791 to the relay for the passenger door. This way when you hit the unlock button once it will unlock the driver door, hit it a second time and it will unlock the passenger door.

I could easily see install reaching $150+ for labor and parts not including the alarm/remote start. If anyone is willing to charge less, go for it and take advantage of them barring they do a good job.
You are right on that. Also, if you want hatch pop there's another relay. Domelight supervision...another relay. It gets interesting.

Last edited by stroked383z28; 02-06-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:15 AM

stroked383, you're right I was looking at the Cobalt document for part of it. I have both the camaro and cobalt together. My mistake. You're post is 100% correct looking over the wiring document right now.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:26 PM

I just didn't want you to get in there and get discouraged thinking you had to do stuff that you actually didn't have to. Anyway, ebay is one of the cheapest places I've found to buy alarms/remote starts. Just pick out a system that you like and then you can add a DEI 508D motion sensor to just about any of them.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Yeah DEI owns Viper, Clifford, Avital etc. All good stuff, mainly the Viper and Clifford though. I'll be going with a Viper XV-791 2-way w/ LCD ($180 with Best Buy discount, reg. $499 )and a motion sensor under the center console for when my t-tops are off. I printed out the wiring code for the Camaro and it looks like it may be a tad bit of fun. Lock and unlock use relays, and unlock also needs a 1.5k resistor. There's separate left and right door triggers which needs to be diode isolated, VATS bypass (for remote start if so desired) and 5-wire locks. Basically, its a pain in the ***. I could easily see install reaching $150+ for labor and parts not including the alarm/remote start. If anyone is willing to charge less, go for it and take advantage of them barring they do a good job. Installing it is going to take me forever...
can you email me the wire print out? i have a 96z28 also, that would be a great help. And another question, if your having problems with your factory alarm, does the viper alarm bypass the factory system complety?

Last edited by chasmanz28; 02-07-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 PM

The viper alarm is completely seperate from any kind of factory alarm. However, it does not disable the factory alarm. Only the factory key fob can arm/disarm the factory alarm. You will have to have to disable the factory alarm through programming. To do this you will:

1) Turn the igntion on then off
2) Remove the radio fuse only (not the acc/radio fuse)
3) Turn the key to the accessory position. You will hear two chirps from the door buzzer.
4) Press the unlock switch on the door. This will give you 1-4 chirps depending on the program step. Continue pressing the unlock button until you get the desired number of chirps.

1 chirp - security off
2 chirps - remote only
3 chirps - factory setting
4 chirps - passive arming

5) Turn the ignition off.
6) Put the radio fuse back in.

If you go here https://www.directwholesale.net/diag...ms.asp?link=DW you can find the wiring diagram.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by stroked383z28
The viper alarm is completely seperate from any kind of factory alarm. However, it does not disable the factory alarm. Only the factory key fob can arm/disarm the factory alarm. You will have to have to disable the factory alarm through programming. To do this you will:

1) Turn the igntion on then off
2) Remove the radio fuse only (not the acc/radio fuse)
3) Turn the key to the accessory position. You will hear two chirps from the door buzzer.
4) Press the unlock switch on the door. This will give you 1-4 chirps depending on the program step. Continue pressing the unlock button until you get the desired number of chirps.

1 chirp - security off
2 chirps - remote only
3 chirps - factory setting
4 chirps - passive arming

5) Turn the ignition off.
6) Put the radio fuse back in.

If you go here https://www.directwholesale.net/diag...ms.asp?link=DW you can find the wiring diagram.
thanks for the help, so if i want to get rid of the factory alarm for good i do these steps, or are the above things you mention only temp disable, the reason why i want to make sure is im having problems with my factory alarm and want to bypass it all together. for some reason when it gets cold outside my alarm goes crazy, have a hard time starting sometimes or i have to reprogramm the fabs all the time
Old 02-07-2006, 08:01 PM

If you follow those steps it will disable the alarm for good. You can always go back later if you want to turn it back on, but unless you do that it will remain disabled.