Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

um we tar did

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 01:10 PM

um we tar did

Stupid ? The only thing I know about cars is how to go fast.But what the hell are crossovers?And how do you install them.Pic and diagrams will help thanxs
Old 12-15-2002, 02:09 PM

What a crossover does is simply divide the signal and send it to it's appropriate driver. Treble to the tweeters, midrange to the mid drivers and the bass to the woofers.

There are 2 types of crossovers. Passive and active. Passive crossovers are what come with the speakers when you buy them. They consist of capacitors and inductors and sometimes resistors. They work on speaker level (after the amplifier) signals. Active crossovers work on line level (before the amplifier) signals.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:10 PM

Most crossovers now a days are built into the HU or into an external amplifier. Sorry, I don't have any pics or diagrams to help you install one.

Basically what crossovers do is quite simple. The sound coming out of your speakers comes in different frequencies. The bass being the lower end and the voices being more towards the top end. A crossover will direct the specific frequences, lets say low frequencies or your bass in this case, to your desired speaker, preferably a subwoofer. This way that speaker will only play the selected range of frequencies you want.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:16 PM

Basically..................... a crossover is a piece of equipment that seperates the high frequencies from the midrange frequencies from the low frequencies. This way, your subs don't try to play 1kHz tones and the tweeters aren't trying to play a three six mafia bass line. There are several different types. An "Active" crossover is placed before your amp. (between CD player and amp) and a "Passive" crossover is placed after the amp. A good example of a passive crossover is "Bass Blockers". An active crossover would use RCA cables as inputs and outputs, where as a passive crossover would use the actual speaker wire going to speaker. For me to tell you exactly how to hook your crossover up, I would need to know what type it is. Got the brand and model number?
Old 12-15-2002, 04:20 PM

Well I just got new speakers w/ the tweeds built in.Since I'm only getting highs someone said I need crossovers.I have the $hitty factory system w/ 3 speakers.I replaced the head unit which worked great.So I decided to replace the speakes w/ mb-quart's.So now I only get highs.So what do i do with crossovers.How much r they and where do they go.I know I'm retarded when it comes to audio.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:55 PM

Ok... so...when you had an all factory system, you had no problems. Then you replaced the factory head unit, and had no problems. Now you replaced the speakers and are only hearing highs out of them? Hmmmm..... I don't think a crossover is what you need. How are the speakers hooked up? You are not using an amp, correct? What kind of highs are we talking about? I mean, is just the tweeter playing? Does the cone of the speaker even move when music is playing? Is it the same for all three speakers?
Old 12-15-2002, 05:59 PM

The speakers are hooked up the same as stock.No amp.And only the tweeter is playing.