Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Stock Deck with Subs? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 01:50 PM

Stock Deck with Subs? Possible?

I'm a newbie with the audio stuff........thanx for you patience.

Is it possible to run a stealth box (or 2) off of my stock deck? Are those subs powered or unpowered?
In an ideal situation I would like to have 2 subs in the hatch - both steath boxes - one on the driver's side and one on the pass. side.
Is that possible?
Also, if the subs were to need an amp - how big would it have to be, and could it be run off the stock deck? Where could I put it so it's out of site - out of mind?

Your help and advice is much appriciated.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:13 PM

Read this.
And I think they do make a powered stealthbox. I think I seen it in Crutchfield..... or maybe that wasn't for an F-body...... Either way... they are usually low quality. I suggest you check out subthump He makes both driver and passenger side stealth boxes. The size of the amp depend on the woofers you put in the boxes..... let me know what you decide and I would be happy to help!
Old 01-29-2003, 01:57 PM

With a stock system, you need a line output converter to get RCA preouts from the stock speaker wires. You can run the power wire from battery all the way back through the hole where the pcm wires are. The ground you can use anything metal back there, just scrape some paint off before you ground it. The remote turn on you can access from the inside the car fuse box.

I do have a line out converter for sale if you want it, it was like 20 or something like that, I'll sell it for 12 shipped.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:39 PM

Sure it can easily be done. But ive had it like that and know tons of people that have done it that way...... IT IS HORIBLE! Youll have good bass and tons of it but it will drown out your high and mids. With that ive concluded..... do it all or not at all. Dont just get subs!!!! Do it right the first time.... cuz if you get subs youll get the rest in time and it wont be as good as if you did it all at ounce. Also if you want to hook it up to a stock system you wont have much control of it (maybe a bass **** at the most). If you still want to just get subs i would reccomend a head unit and running the RCA's from the front. Your call though.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:16 AM

How Far You Want To Go?

I've got a powered tube in the back. Not totally stealth, but you can hide it better in your Gen4. I run it off speaker level splices. Fairly cheesy, but at 30 on the Kenwood deck, Malcom and Angus rock clearly.

But the sky's the limit. This "system" won't work over your Dynomax horn section. And at the drive in, snobs will sneer. But do you really want to go with an Eclipse head, MacIntosh amps and Focal subs? Opera nuts will politely applaud, but your accountant will scratch his head. Take it a piece at a time and get advice from a good local installer with a long list of happy Gen4 clients. Kind of like your under-hood setup.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:19 PM

Re: How Far You Want To Go?

Originally posted by billhrsn
But do you really want to go with an Eclipse head, MacIntosh amps and Focal subs? Opera nuts will politely applaud, but your accountant will scratch his head.
The reason your accountant will be scratching his head, is because he's wondering why the hell you have a computer trying to power your subs!!LOL!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:12 PM

Unhappy Oops!

I meant McIntosh. I'll just get my "a" out of this thread.

CUD (crawling under desk)