Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Stealth Box Not Loud Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 12:05 PM

Unhappy Stealth Box Not Loud Enough?

Alright guys, I've been toying with this for about a week now. I put in my stealthbox last weekend one day. I had the help of my friend who knows about installing system and he made it easy.

I'm not sure if I'm impressed with the results. I do have Alpine Midrange speakers that are pretty loud, but I can't even really tell much of a difference with the stealthbox in or out. My mid's hit pretty hard. I know the box is all the way there in the back, but I don't even have that divider in. I'm just trying to hear it and I'm only noticing a small difference.

Is this normal? My friends tell me it's only 1 - 10" so that's probably all I should have expected. I've tried with my windows up and all of that...but there jsut isn't a major difference. Is this what I should expect?

My system is Alpine Mid's...like I said. A Kenwood Headunit - it's older and getting on it's last leg...it's from the previous owner like the mids. A 10" Alpine Type - S with a JBL 300.1 Amp. I ran everything with lightning audio 4 gauge wiring. Can anyone help me figure this out?

I've also tuned the amp because when turned up too high it would cause a buzzing type of noise. But I have it basically all the way up with the bass all the way up on the HU.

Damn thing...maybe they have better results with people who don't already have midrange speakers.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-03-2003, 12:09 PM

Also, I didn't make the stealthbox myself, but I bought it from Subthump.com several months back.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:32 PM

you should MOST definately hear a difference. Once I added a JL Driver side Stealth box with a rockford hx2 10, you can hear me from quite the ways. I added a passenger side sub thump box with the identical sub on the right, the sound is unreal. You should be able to hear any sub over your midrange speakers, are you sure all the wiring is correct?? Something is not hooked up right, so go over everything again.

Did you check the recommended air space for the sub? Try putting some polyfill in your stealth box, it simulates a bit more airspace so it sounds a bit better.

What type of buzzing sound? Does it go with your engine? Did you run all your wires down one side of the car??
Old 07-03-2003, 02:53 PM

It might be the way you have the sub wired up. Is the sub a Dual voice coil sub? And if so, is it a 2ohm or 4ohm version. Even with a single 10" Alpine sub, you should not only hear the bass, but also feel it becuase if done correctly, it should shake the whole car. And if you had the passenger box in there too, it would even louder like 1999v6 was saying.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:10 PM

What's your exact model number for your sub?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:40 PM

not making fun or anything, if the sub is dvc, make sure both v/c are hooked up. I just rewired a friend's system and guess what his other "expert" friend did for him...wire only one v/c...which is why I suggest
Old 07-03-2003, 09:20 PM

First, yes my sub is the Dual Voice Coil version and I wired it right up the exact same way as in the diagram that came with the speaker.

I'm not sure exactly what polyfill is. Please explain that a little more...I was thinking about taking the sub out again and spraying some Rubberized Undercoating in there.

One kid actually said that it sounded like my sub was shot, and this was right as we finally got it working. Idk, it's definitely hitting if I am in the trunk. I'm not sure if it's just my mid ranges that are closer to me overpowering the sub. I just expected more I guess. Yesterday I disconnected it for an hour or two because I don' have my amp completely secured down yet...I want to mount it on the back panel in my trunk, so for now I just have it in the hatch shelf.

The wiring should be all right. I mean the sub is working and all. Maybe I can snap some pics of some of the stuff to let you "experts" examine it. The RCA's and the remote line are run on the passenger side, while the power wire is run down the driver side, up across the engine to the battery.

I'm not exactly sure what DVC's are...but I have two pairs of RCA's connected from the headunit to the Amp.

Hope this helps...

Mark
Old 07-03-2003, 09:21 PM

LOL that shirt is great.. im going to buy it for my friend who had someone install his stereo... now his dash lights dont work and his sunroof is broken
Old 07-03-2003, 10:00 PM

Tell us exactly how you have it wired and how all the settings are on the amp. Where do you have the low-pass set to? Maybe your lowpass is set too low....
Old 07-06-2003, 07:46 PM

I should be hitting fairly hard like everyone has said. What RCA output did you use? Is there a dedicated Sub out? If so is it on and turned up? Make sure you don't have a HPF on. What's your crossover set at? Have you tried dissconnecting the full range speakers and just playing with the sub to see if you can get good output?

Are you getting good power to the amp? Check it with a DMM.

I've done quite a few of those and they have always sounded great.

Please give us some more details on the wiring and we'll help out.