Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Are speakers supposed to push out, or pull in when it 'hits'?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 12:54 AM

Are speakers supposed to push out, or pull in when it 'hits'?

I've read both.

I always thought when the speaker hit the cone was supposed to fire 0utwards, but I read on another site it's supposed to pull the cone in towards the magnet, and 0utwards can damage it.

I'm actually doing the wiring in my '93 Ford F-250, not my Firebird, but the same principles apply.

How is THIS for stupid!

Site #1 says for my Front Right speaker:
+.....White/Green
-......Green/Orange

Site #2 says:
+.....White/Green,
-......Black/White

So, I look in the dash, at the wiring harness etc., and it shows that it's using what Site #2 says. However, in my door, it has Green/Orange, and Black/White, both the wires that are labeled "negative".

I'm getting the feeling trying to get all the speakers of this truck in phase is going to be a big pain in the ***.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:21 AM

If the entire system maintains what is known as "absolute phase" then the first motion of the speaker's cone when it is producing sound should be out. Then follwed by an inward motion. Whoever said that it moving out would damage it is full of crap.

To determine which color code is correct you can do what is known as the pop test. This is nothing more than quickly touching a battery to the speakers input tabs. When you touch the battery to the speaker's input tabs the cone will either jump out or pull back in depending on how the battery is oriented when you connect it. When you find the way of connecting the battery that makes the cone jump out note which connection is to the battery's +. That is the one that gets the + wire from the amp. In GM cars the input tabs on the factory speakers are labeled A & B. B is always the negative in GM vehicles.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:45 PM

Man I hate hearing 2 different things
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=235944

On all speakers its pull in, if they pull out that means your polarity is backwards(+ is on - and - is on +) It should be switched.
So on the 1.5V battery, when + is to + and - is to -, the speaker should push out, away from the magnet then correct? The speakers have a wide and narrow connecting tab. I want to say the narrow one is -, and has the black stripe on the wire.

The color of wires in my door is different than in my dash, how do I figure out what's + and what's -? I guess I can use a continuity tester. D'oh!

Last edited by Dave88LX; 05-01-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Dave88LX
So on the 1.5V battery, when + is to + and - is to -, the speaker should pull IN, towards the magnet then correct?
No, just the opposite. It should jump out.

Originally posted by Dave88LX
The speakers have a wide and narrow connecting tab. I want to say the narrow one is -, and has the black stripe on the wire.
Yes, the narrow one is the negative.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:55 PM

LOL you caught me before I edited.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:25 PM

it's a truck.. just run the 3 feet of new wire :P
Old 05-05-2004, 11:26 AM

If you can't get to the speakers to see them what you can do is hook those speakers up and have just those two on. Then listen to it and then flip the phase on one of the speakers and listen to it again. One of the two ways should lose a lot of the bass and midbass and things should sound weird. Sort of like it's a mono signal and there isn't a definate location to different sounds.

Just a basic idea for it's hard to describe since it just sounds weird to me but that's the basic idea of what happens. Hopefully you can do the battery test though for that's the quickest and easiest way.