Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

sail panel speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 PM

sail panel speakers...

hey guys.. i got bored a little bit ago.. and decided to look at the impedence of my sail panel speakers and my subs in the back seat. and the sail panel speakers say that they're 4 ohm... the sub says it's 2 ohm.... so.. in reality.. you could find any aftermarket speakers to work back there... just thought i'd share this
Old 11-04-2003, 04:41 AM

Do you have the Monsoon system in your car? I know that the 3 Speaker Bose system in my 94 used a really wierd ohm rating, like 6 ohm or something. I tried replacing the factory speakers with 4 ohmers and they sounded like garbage. I finally got fed up, took it to Sound Advice(A local high end car audio place) and had them unhook the factory amps, Install a Pioneer Premiere Head Unit, run new wiring, and install some Pioneer REV speakers in there.

After that my system never sounded better.

I just wanted to make sure people with older camaros didnt get the idea they could pop in replacement speakers and be happy with them.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:18 AM

yes i do have the monsoon system. at least according to my radio and everything. but i think it's weird that the very rear speakers have 4 ohm impedence and the rest have 2 ohm
Old 11-04-2003, 10:21 PM

Re: sail panel speakers...

Originally posted by autoguy
hey guys.. i got bored a little bit ago.. and decided to look at the impedence of my sail panel speakers and my subs in the back seat. and the sail panel speakers say that they're 4 ohm... the sub says it's 2 ohm.... so.. in reality.. you could find any aftermarket speakers to work back there... just thought i'd share this
I wouldnt replace the factory subs with just any aftermarket speaker... They wouldnt put out near as much bass as even the factory ones... use my reccomendation of a 6.5 sub (either an RFP 4406 or a JL 6w0) to get more better bass. The back hatch speakers can be replaced with any decent 4 ohm 4 inch speaker...
Old 11-04-2003, 10:52 PM

Re: Re: sail panel speakers...

Originally posted by Rogue Leader
I wouldnt replace the factory subs with just any aftermarket speaker... They wouldnt put out near as much bass as even the factory ones... use my reccomendation of a 6.5 sub (either an RFP 4406 or a JL 6w0) to get more better bass. The back hatch speakers can be replaced with any decent 4 ohm 4 inch speaker...
oh.. i wasn't talking about the subs with any sub.. more the sail panel speakers. thanks for all ur help.. and i think i'm gonna go with your setup because it seems like a good deal. and prolly stick with alpine sail panels too.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: sail panel speakers...

Originally posted by autoguy
oh.. i wasn't talking about the subs with any sub.. more the sail panel speakers. thanks for all ur help.. and i think i'm gonna go with your setup because it seems like a good deal. and prolly stick with alpine sail panels too.
oh... where the subs are... thats called the Sail panels... the ones all the way in the back are the rear hatch speakers.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: sail panel speakers...

Originally posted by Rogue Leader
oh... where the subs are... thats called the Sail panels... the ones all the way in the back are the rear hatch speakers.

oops... call me an idiot :P still new to the camaro thing.. this is my first one LOL but thank you for the clarification... so.. since i've been chasing all you around with my "sail panel" speakers... the "rear hatch" speakers can be replaced with any aftermarket speaker? correct? that's a pretty good deal. but yea rogue leader.. i'm gonna prolly go with your setup. thanks for all your help.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:58 PM

I think im soon to kill my factory rear hatch speakers... luckily I have new ones all ready to go...