Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

red top

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:33 PM

red top

I need to get a new batt. Witch is the best to get. I was thinking maybe a red top. due to the new system and all. Any other idears? maybe a yellow top

Last edited by blackz151; 12-17-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:06 AM

Re: red top

Optima batteries are the biggest ripoff in car stereo IMO. The battery does 2 things for the car. It powers the electrical stuff when the engine is off and it starts the engine. Thats it. Once the engine is running the car's charging system provides all of the car's electrical needs. The battery becomes part of the load on the charging system just like the stereo, lights, fans, etc. Any good battery with plenty of CCA's will perform just as well as one of those over hyped and over priced Optima batteries. There are some that will say that they installed an Optima battery and it cured their dimming lights problem. This is BS. If the light dimming went away after installing the Optima battery it's only because the battery is trying to make up for the alternator's inability to deliver enough current on loud bass hits. That means that the battery is discharging when it's supposed to be charging. This will lead to premature battery death since it isn't being charged like it's supposed to. These people think that the battery cured the problem when in fact they replaced one problem with another.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:18 PM

Sure you could argue that their a "gimmick" and that their all hype...but can you really argue with a no questions asked warranty? Replace batteries all you want my friend...optima will replace them for free. BTW: I like optima's, turns a vehicle over like a charm and you can mount it in any direction you want...takes abuse as well.

Dave
Old 12-19-2004, 01:08 AM

I agree with s3gulit. I love my red top, it has been in my car for almost 4 years now and not a single problem.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Banned

i'm pretty sure my optima has a small nuclear reactor inside it. the last few days i've been waxing / detailing my car and leaving the radio on for 12 hours at a time a few days in a row and i went to start the car yesturday and it started instantly.

if you have the money its worth it if your going to listen to the radio while the car is off or similar.

redtop
Old 12-20-2004, 01:50 PM

I'm not going to say the RedTop is this magical battery that cures all electrical issues but it is damn reliable.

Besides, I bought it with a coupon that made it cheaper than most regular batteries.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by LS1 RULZ
Optima batteries are the biggest ripoff in car stereo IMO. The battery does 2 things for the car. It powers the electrical stuff when the engine is off and it starts the engine. Thats it. Once the engine is running the car's charging system provides all of the car's electrical needs. The battery becomes part of the load on the charging system just like the stereo, lights, fans, etc. Any good battery with plenty of CCA's will perform just as well as one of those over hyped and over priced Optima batteries. There are some that will say that they installed an Optima battery and it cured their dimming lights problem. This is BS. If the light dimming went away after installing the Optima battery it's only because the battery is trying to make up for the alternator's inability to deliver enough current on loud bass hits. That means that the battery is discharging when it's supposed to be charging. This will lead to premature battery death since it isn't being charged like it's supposed to. These people think that the battery cured the problem when in fact they replaced one problem with another.
Amen brother. I just went to Pep Boys and got a battery for like $63.00 with a 3 year warranty. 900 cca@32, 750 @0 I think. So what If Ive got to fork out another 75 bones after 3 years.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:19 AM

I got a yellow top, when I am eq'ing and doing other stuff like washing my car with the stereo on, I never have to worry about it. My car died on me a couple of times, then
I got sold a bad battery, and got about 50 off the yellow top because of the bad one, and it has done great for me.