Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

ppl that know ohms please inside,and also can i hook my wiring up to this??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 12:15 AM

ppl that know ohms please inside,and also can i hook my wiring up to this??

hi,
just wondering a few things,
i think i changed my mind,and am going to go with 1 10,0r 12, in the stealth inclosure,but the thing is,i have a 600 ti phoenix gold amp,that is rated at 600x1 @ 4ohms,now im sure it will go lower ohms,but i dont know the ratings on it,could you guys reccomend me a sub that will handel say 1000 watts rms?and sound good,and i have been looking at the rockford fosgate power hx2's,they say they will handle this much power,but they are dual 2 ohms,i think,im not good at this ohm stuff,how would i wire my amp to "1" sub for the most power from both?and should i get a dual voice coil sub,or just get a single voice coil?can someone break these ohms down for me,say like if i have a dual 4 ohms voice coil type r?? and my 600 ti amp,how would you guys wire that for the most power?these things confuse me,
and also,i seen that my car has a spot close to the battery where,the positive distributes itself,can i hook my amp wiring up there also,i will have a lighting cap,"rockford foasgate 1 farad" hooked up before my amp,so power draw shouldnt be anything to worry about right?thanks alot.
phil
Old 04-21-2003, 01:07 AM

the amp is fine. It's 2 ohm stable. Now I'm not sure what the rating would be at 2 ohms but usually power doubles when you drop the impedence...usually. What kind of stealth enclosure are you using? The only one I know is the stealth for the pass side that can fit a 12. With the power handling you are looking for in a sub, you might need a bigger enclosure than that because I don't think you even have .75 cubes out of that stealth box.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:16 PM

hi,thanks for responding,im not really sure,im pretty new with this stuff,i mean ive had systems before,but this is going to be the most complex one i am going to have,getting into the ohm things,and trying to find best possible setup for my application,i like loud bass,and more power will equal more bass right?or would it be more beneficail to go with a dual 12 setup,with less power?alot i need to learn,thanks for your paitence in trying to help me out here. when my system is done,i want a indash lcd screen,and a playstation 2 mounted somewhere,and have all that hooked up to my amps,which in return will hook up to my components and my sub/subs setup,i usually listen to rap,and to prolly make this easier,what setup would you go with?like 1 or 2 12's,how would you wire both setups for the most power,and which one will be the best for the music i like to listen to,thanks alot again.
phil
Old 04-21-2003, 01:14 PM

It says on the phoenix gold website that it's stable to 1ohm stereo, so 2 ohms bridged. Although it doesn't give a power rating it's probably somewhere around 1000W RMS.

As for which subs to go with it depends how much bass you want. I would definately recommend 12s if you listen to rap and like it loud. 1 12 would be ok but 2 12s would be a good bit louder. If it were me I'd go with 2 but that's just my taste.

So....if you want to go for 1 sub you have to wire it like this for max power:

buy a dual 4 ohm sub and wire both coils in parallel to the bridged amp. Both positives to the positive terminal on the amp's speaker output and both negatives to the negative terminal. This wil create a 2 ohm load.

If you decide on 2 subs I recommend you....

buy 2 dual 2 ohm subs and wire each sub in series and together in parallel this will give you a final load of 2 ohms, you can then connect this to the bridged amp. here's a diagram from the jl site showing how to wire it this way.... http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wir...C_Series_2.gif

BTW, don't forget the frontstage.

Last edited by x7x7; 04-21-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:01 PM

With 1000WRMS or more, I would go with a pair of 12"s. Do you have t-tops? Do you mind using the whole storage area in the back? Check out www.subthump.com Click on vehicle specific and then camaro/firebird. There are a couple of boxes that will allow you to have a pair of 12"s and STILL keep your t-top storage!

X7x7, you can't bridge that amp. It only has one channel. Just a note. I don't want to confuse pimpinphil any more then necessary.

If you decide to go with one 12", get a sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils. Then you could wire them in parallel for a final load of 1 ohm.

If you decide to go with two 12"s, get subs with dual 4 ohm voice coils. Then you can wire the coils together in parallel and then wire the subs together in parallel for a final load of 1 ohm.

IMPORTANT!!!= If your amp outputs the same power at 1 ohm as it does at 2 ohms you can buy either voice coil configuration. Dual 2 or dual 4.... one or two subs.... you could still get full power out of that amp.

My final opinion..... buy a pair of 12"s. Which ones? How much money are you looking to spend?
Old 04-21-2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by firebirdude
X7x7, you can't bridge that amp. It only has one channel. Just a note. I don't want to confuse pimpinphil any more then necessary.
I think you're mistaken. That is a 2 channel amp. Are we not talking about the Pheonix Gold Titanium 600.2?? I don't even think they make a 600 mono amp but they do have a 4 channel 600.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by x7x7
I think you're mistaken. That is a 2 channel amp. Are we not talking about the Pheonix Gold Titanium 600.2?? I don't even think they make a 600 mono amp but they do have a 4 channel 600.
You might be right. I didn't look up the amp. Pimpin said it was rated at 600x1 and I just assumed. My apologies.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:55 AM

hi,
thanks alot guys that was exactly what im looking for,and if i go with,since you guys said it would be benificial to go with 2 12's,thats prolly the way im going to go,i do have t-tops,however 270 dollars is a good bit of money for a box,"i think" plus 2-300 for the subs,i know a guy in town,that works with fiberglass alot,and we could prolly make up a decent fiberglass box,"he builds kit cars for a living",and if i did it that way,i could just stick like a piece of cardboard or something in front of it,to make like its the t-tops,and maybe it will come out so it would be the same thing???but anyways,i am thinking 250-350 for the subs total,yea its the 600 titanium amp,rated@ 300x2 or 600x1 @ 4 ohms,and i dont know the bridging or ohms features,im getting it off my friend,i think he still has the box,and paper work,hopefully,how about the rockford fosgate punch hx2 12 dual 2 ohms,says "500 watts rms,1000 peak,and .8 - 4.0 cubic feet inclosure,so if i build a fiberglass box,it should definitly be in that bracket,right?would these be some good subs for my application?thanks alot guys for your time,and help,it means alot to know there is some good ppl out there that will help others,even with some problems like this,thanks again.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:34 AM

Ok, you can kinda disregard my wiring descriptions from before. I thought you had a single channel amp. But I still think two 12"s would be the way to go. I own the Fosgate Punch HX2's. I like em'. They'd suite you nice. You would want the dual 4 ohm version. How much are you getting them for? Also check out the Elemental Designs K-series. Another great bang for the buck. If you need some specific recommendations on box size, lemme know.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by firebirdude
Ok, you can kinda disregard my wiring descriptions from before. I thought you had a single channel amp. But I still think two 12"s would be the way to go. I own the Fosgate Punch HX2's. I like em'. They'd suite you nice. You would want the dual 4 ohm version. How much are you getting them for? Also check out the Elemental Designs K-series. Another great bang for the buck. If you need some specific recommendations on box size, lemme know.
He needs dual 2 ohm not dual 4 ohm...

the amp is 1 ohm stereo stable so you can either put a 1 ohm load on each channel or a single 2 ohm load on the single channel when it's bridged....