Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Power distribution question (Attn: LS1 RULZ)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 02:58 PM

Exclamation Power distribution question (Attn: LS1 RULZ)

(LS1 RULZ - I know you have one of these amps so thought you might be of some help)
Another semi-noob question. Im gonna be running two amps, MTX 4244 4-channel amp and a MTX 6500D sub amp. Running 4ga main power wire. At distribution block an 8ga power wire will go to the 4244. My problem is with the 6500D. The manual recommends a 4ga power wire. I see 2 options. 1) Get a 4-position dist. block, have one 4ga input, one fused 8ga output and one non-fused 4ga output to the 6500D. Or 2) have one 4ga input, one fused 8ga output and put one of those stinger 4ga to 8ga reducer adapters on the 4ga power wire to the 6500D. This way it would be fused however am I defeating the whole purpose of using a 4ga if I reduce it with an 8ga adapter?? Thanks for help guys!
Old 12-10-2005, 07:35 PM

Re: Power distribution question (Attn: LS1 RULZ)

Two things go into determining what gage power cable to use. The amount of current drawn and the length of the cable used. If you run 4 awg from your battery to your D-block and then 8awg to your amp you'll be fine. Thats how mine is hooked up.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:12 PM

Thanks alot LS1 RULZ, I knew you had the answer. I kinda figured a short run of 8ga wouldnt be a problem but I wanted to make sure. Now if I can get my other post answered I'll be doing good. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:49 AM

I would be more worried about over-currenting the main-line with that setup. I don't know what the current draw combined for those amps are, nor the length of the main line, but I would defenetly make sure that it is sized properly.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:00 AM

I was a little worried about that too 97Formula, however I used the traditional wire size calculators and determined this setup to be ok with using a 4ga main line at approx. 15ft. Just need to fuse it with a 100-125a fuse.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:14 AM

Also LS1 RULZ, or anyone else for that matter, if I run two 4ohm single voice coil 10's off of this amp in parallel that will give me a 2ohm bridged load?? If so the manual says this amp cant handle that, I thought this was a very common wiring setup. What am I missing?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:37 AM

Two 4ohm loads in parallel yield a 2ohm final load. There is no "bridged load". Bridging is an amplifier function. You bridge amplifier channels together. Also known as "strapping". Speakers get connected in series, parallel or series/parallel.

If you have any doubts about the current draw and the size cable you need just look at this chart.

If you are using the MTX 6500D it most defintely can handle a 2ohm load. That is how I am running mine. The 6500D is a mono amp. It is not a bridged stereo amp.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:40 AM

I might have just answered my own question. The 6500D is a mono amp so it cant be bridged. My dilema is I have one MTX 10" DVC 4ohm and need to purchase one more for the box in my truck. I wasnt sure if I sure buy another DVC or just get a SVC and run each one of each mono channel. If I can get more out of this amp by getting another DVC and wiring them together some way I would rather do that. No sense in having this amp if Im not pushing it. Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:46 AM

Thanks again for helping this n00b out. Ive been reading on the net for hours but its confusing the heck out of me. I have found that chart that you posted many a times when I was searching for wire sizing suggestions. So I should just wire two 4ohm SVC subs in parallel to yield a 2ohm load and run that off of a single + and - on the 6500D and not try to "bridge" as you would do with a multichannel amp?? This will leave one + and - on the amp empty, right? If so this stuff is finally making some sense. Thanks a bunch for the help again, sometimes it just takes someone to break it down in laymans terms.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:54 AM

The 6500D has 2 sets of output connections but they are NOT 2 sets of amplifier channels. The output connections are connected in parallel internally. They are just there for convenience. It gives you 2 sets of connections rather than stacking more than one set of subs on one set of amplifier output connections.

What you need are 2 DVC subwoofers with dual 2ohm voice coils. You would then connect the dual VC's together in series to make each sub a 4ohm load. You would then connect the now 4ohm subs together in parallel to get your final 2ohm load. Or you can get two SVC subs with 4ohm VC's to get your 2ohm final load.

You do NOT want to connect a DVC sub in parallel with a SVC sub. Mixing and matching subwoofers together like that is never a good idea. Especially if they are going to be sharing a common enclosure.

Last edited by LS1 RULZ; 12-11-2005 at 12:19 PM.