Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Power Converter - Have questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Power Converter - Have questions

I'm thinking of Installing an A/C D/C converter in my car, I have and constantly run a laptop when I'm pulled over and it's annoying to have to stop everytime to charge it up.

First question is, for a laptop - what kind and power rating converter would you recommend?

Second question is - I desire to hardwire it instead of constantly plugging it into a cigarette lighter... I wanted to run a small wire to a switch, which would activate a relay, which would activate the converter... is this recommended? or would I really need a relay? If so, what ratings would you select the relay at?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:13 PM

i would use atleast a 175 watt inverter. The inverter shoudl already have a switch on it to turn it on and off.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:31 AM

if you really wanted to run a wire to so you cud turn it on and off from a switch... with most inverters(300w and up usually) you can take off a few screws to take off the plate with the on/off switch. cut the red wire so that you can attach your own 12v power source(be sure to put tape over the unused end of the wire so it doesnt short). you cud run the wire right from your fuse box. you cud run a wire from your acc. so that it wont go on with out your acc. on. if you wanted you cud use the rem. wire from your cd player so that the inverter cud only be on when your cd player is. wutever your power souce, run that to your toggle switch and then to the red wire going into the on/off switch on the inverter. u will need to keep the switch on the inverter kept on for your toggle switch to work. there will be plenty of vent holes that you can run the wire through on the inverter so you can re-assemble it completly only a little power is needed for the wire because it is only to turn on the relay in the inverter. i don't know if you wanted to go through that much work but it did it on all three of my inverters... it was pretty easy and if you ever wanted to use the inverter else where you can simple re-conect the red wires again and no harm done.... you wudn't need that much power for a labtop, but i you wanted a little extra power for other things, the best deal i found- watts per dollar - was 750w at walmart - i cant rember - mabey $50?