Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Post-amp install nightmare :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:29 PM

Post-amp install nightmare :(

Ok guys......on my 95 Z, why wont my CD player play UNLESS the GM solid blue wire , labeled as "power antenna" is plugged or spliced into the AMP turn on wire ?????????????

I figured the above out after I got my car back from the stereo shop. I had an Alpine 852 din-half GM unit in my car for about three years tapped into the factory BOSE junk. I finally had a stereo shop install my old trusty crusty AlpineMRVF400S and BAM, radio worked but when I got home , cd player wouldnt play. The spectrum analyzer was going , but no CD sound. Than I started messing around in the dash, pulled the radio out and noticed the factory GM solid blue wire(labeled "power antenna") just hanging there, patched it into the blue/white amp turn on and cd player fired right up.

Anyone know what is up with this. Anyone ever have the same problem?

Last edited by lastze4me; 06-22-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:36 AM

The power antenna wire in the dash also turns on the factory amps. If you're running these as well then that would be the reason. Hooking your head units amp turn on to the dash's power antenna, will turn the factory amp on, and give you sound.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:41 AM

Would disabling the factory amps and using just the internal amplifier in the head unit work somehow or do you need the stock amps until you replace the wiring???
Old 06-23-2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Hack95TA
Would disabling the factory amps and using just the internal amplifier in the head unit work somehow or do you need the stock amps until you replace the wiring???
My understanding is that if you're using the factory wiring you need ALL amps to turn on.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:55 PM

Re: Post-amp install nightmare :(

Originally posted by lastze4me
Than I started messing around in the dash, pulled the radio out and noticed the factory GM solid blue wire(labeled "power antenna") just hanging there, patched it into the blue/white amp turn on and cd player fired right up.

Does the antenna adapter (GM to Aftermarket Specification) take care of this problem automatically without having to splice the solid blue wire into the blue/white amp turn on? Or does the GM to Aftermarket wiring harness take care of this instead of having to cut the wires?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:08 PM

Thanks for all the replys, Im glad you guys know what im talking about. I just dont understand why the cd player wont "output" if the factory power antenna wire is un hooked. Ive bypassed the factory amps alltogether because when i un hook the amp -turn on lead from the actual amplifier, the stereo shuts down as it should.

By the way. where is the BOSE amp(it aint in the trunk where the spare is). Car is a 95 z, Bose 5 speaker.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by lastze4me
By the way. where is the BOSE amp(it aint in the trunk where the spare is). Car is a 95 z, Bose 5 speaker.
IIRC its passenger side, rear seat area, about shin height behind the B pillar.