Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Now i wanna make a new box for my subs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:00 PM

Now i wanna make a new box for my subs

but i got a few questions......basically what i wanna do is lighten up the weight so im planning on just putting a flat piece of wood and cutting the 2 holes. My question is do i have to use special wood if so where can i get it? Do i have to make a box or can i do it the way i said? What can i use to cut the holes? Do the holes have to be exactly 12"(i got 12" subs) or do they have to be a little smaller? Any help or advice would really help me out. Thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 10:24 AM

Something that is SUPER EXTREMELY important with enclosure design is that you need to seperate the front of the speakers output from the rear of the speakers output. So the speaker should be mounted on something like a board, like you said.

It is usually best to TOTALLY seal the front from the rear, with the exception of the port tube (if any).

So if you're gonna use a piece of wood, do everything you can to ensure that there is no leakage from the back to the front. Now if your porting, obviously there will be a large leak, called the port, but that's part of the design.

The other thing you need to make sure you consider is air space. Every speaker operates best with a certain amount of air space depending on it's use. For example: My 12" subs like a 1.0 cubic foot sealed enclosure, but they like a 2.5-3 cubic foot porten enclosure. Not having enough or having too much airspace can result in reduced output AND/OR damage to the speaker.

So keep those things in mind and you should be ok.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:16 PM

i kinda understand what you're talking about but is there a website with pictures i can go to for better understanding?
Old 07-25-2003, 08:00 AM

JL Audio has some excellent technical info on their site www.jlaudio.com, look in the tutorials section.

MTX has some good tech info as well www.mtx.com

You'll have to find out from the manufacturer (or manual if you have it) for your sub to see what the recommended air space is for the use you intend. Usually sealed enclosures require less air space than ported ones. But sealed enclosures don't allow tuning to get the frequency peak of the system to where you want it like ported boxes do.

Last edited by LWillmann; 07-25-2003 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:39 PM

Making your own enclosure isn't really all that hard...but it's not as simple as just laying down a piece of board, cutting a couple holes, and dropping in a subwoofer. It takes some planning, math, and a little know-how...totally doable if you just take your time and draw and are willing to do the math.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:18 PM

Make a small sealed fiberglass box. It'll be lighter then using MDF....
Old 07-27-2003, 12:39 AM

Lightbulb

It's very easy if you have even a little bit of imagination or an IQ above 70.

BOX

I made like Nike and just did it.

design of BOX
Old 07-27-2003, 05:43 AM

firebird...this guy is having a hard enough time working with designing a wood box...and you want to introduce fiberglass into the equation?! NOT that you aren't right though.