Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Not impressed w/ Kicker RMB6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 AM

Angry Not impressed w/ Kicker RMB6

Hey guys.

Maybe I'm just retarded or set my expectations too high, but I installed a pair of Kicker RMB 6.5" midbass speakers to replace the stock Monsoons, and I don't think there is much of an improvement. I mean it's a little better, and I do mean LITTLE.

Did I hook them up wrong? They're 4 ohm speakers, and my amp is 75Wx2 at 12volts or 100Wx2 at 14.4volts (4 ohm for each). I have a built-in crossover in my headunit so the speakers are only playing 25-125Hz (125Hz lowpass on H.U. and 25Hz infrasonic filter on the amp).

These Kicker speakers are rated at 250W max, 125 RMS. That's pretty dang close to my two Pioneer 10" subs (350W max, 175 RMS) that I was using this amp for in my old car. Shouldn't they be at least comparable? I realize they can't hit low because the diaphragm is half the diameter, but even on higher frequencies, the speakers get maxed out so easily.

I had to have done something wrong. Is it because I'm using them as free-air subs without a box?

Thanks guys, I know someone will answer and I want to thank you all in advance.

Jim

P.S. Forgot to mention I changed the H.U.'s built-in crossover so all frequencies play and the speakers still get maxed out pretty quick.

Last edited by jchrisos; 10-08-2003 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:31 AM

Re: Not impressed w/ Kicker RMB6

Originally posted by jchrisos
Hey guys.

Maybe I'm just retarded or set my expectations too high, but I installed a pair of Kicker RMB 6.5" midbass speakers to replace the stock Monsoons, and I don't think there is much of an improvement. I mean it's a little better, and I do mean LITTLE.

Did I hook them up wrong? They're 4 ohm speakers, and my amp is 75Wx2 at 12volts or 100Wx2 at 14.4volts (4 ohm for each). I have a built-in crossover in my headunit so the speakers are only playing 25-125Hz (125Hz lowpass on H.U. and 25Hz infrasonic filter on the amp).

These Kicker speakers are rated at 250W max, 125 RMS. That's pretty dang close to my two Pioneer 10" subs (350W max, 175 RMS) that I was using this amp for in my old car. Shouldn't they be at least comparable? I realize they can't hit low because the diaphragm is half the diameter, but even on higher frequencies, the speakers get maxed out so easily.

I had to have done something wrong. Is it because I'm using them as free-air subs without a box?

Thanks guys, I know someone will answer and I want to thank you all in advance.

Jim

P.S. Forgot to mention I changed the H.U.'s built-in crossover so all frequencies play and the speakers still get maxed out pretty quick.
this is a stupid question for me to even ask but a shop around here did it to me...... you didnt use the stock wires or stock crossovers from the monsoon right? u ran new wires right to the amp right?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Not impressed w/ Kicker RMB6

Originally posted by CrAkD X 95TA
this is a stupid question for me to even ask but a shop around here did it to me...... you didnt use the stock wires or stock crossovers from the monsoon right? u ran new wires right to the amp right?
Totally valid question. I re-wired the rear subs that are in the sail panels. I have RCA wired going from the headunit to the amp in the trunk, and new speaker wired going from the amp to the subs.

I did, however, read last night that someone hooked up 4 ohm speakers to the stock amp and wired and it supposedly sounded fine though. I think I may try that.

Jim
Old 10-08-2003, 01:47 PM

well... first off you have them crossovered way too low... they're midbass speakers, not subwoofers... I run my midbass Audiobahn's starting at 80Hz up to about 1KHz... look at the Kicker specs on those speakers and I be you're way out of the frequency range of the speaker.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
I run my midbass Audiobahn's starting at 80Hz up to about 1KHz... look at the Kicker specs on those speakers and I be you're way out of the frequency range of the speaker.
I follow.... The frequency range of the speaker is 30Hz to 500Hz. But I'm sure 125Hz and below shouldn't be a problem for these kickers, no? These ratings seem more like a subwoofer to me.

You do make a great point about me only using a fraction of the total range of this speaker, which is something I'm going to have to fiddle with, but I was expecting more on the low end with the ratings the speaker has. Now as far as this thing getting maxed out so easily, is that because the amp is using all the available power on a small band as opposed to all the available power spread out more across a wider band? Because the RMS of the amp is lower than the RMS of the speaker, doesn't that mean the speakers shouldn't be maxing out??

Jim

Last edited by jchrisos; 10-08-2003 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:25 PM

First off, you keep calling them "subs" when infact they are not subwoofers. They are "midbass drivers" and they need to be treated as such. Should they be comparable to your Pioneer subs? Hell no. As you stated, they simply do not have the displacement to equal the output. Next, your crossover is set too low. You are trying to use them as a subwoofer. Good god, you set the subsonic at 25Hz?!!?!? How high does it go? I say set the subsonic at around 100Hz and the LP at 400Hz. I bet filtering out some of the bass will clean up your sound......
Old 10-08-2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by firebirdude
First off, you keep calling them "subs" when infact they are not subwoofers. They are "midbass drivers" and they need to be treated as such. Should they be comparable to your Pioneer subs? Hell no. As you stated, they simply do not have the displacement to equal the output. Next, your crossover is set too low. You are trying to use them as a subwoofer. Good god, you set the subsonic at 25Hz?!!?!? How high does it go? I say set the subsonic at around 100Hz and the LP at 400Hz. I bet filtering out some of the bass will clean up your sound......
The infrasonic (as kenwood calls it) is at 25Hz, and it's either on or off, and I keep it on.

Anyone know what frequencies are passed through to the sail panel speakers?
Old 10-08-2003, 07:43 PM

The infrasonic (as kenwood calls it) is at 25Hz, and it's either on or off, and I keep it on.
Then I recommend either installing the Harrison Labs X-over's ($15/pair) or installing an in-line cap between the amp and speakers.....AKA bass blockers.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:29 PM

Then I recommend either installing the Harrison Labs X-over's ($15/pair) or installing an in-line cap between the amp and speakers.....AKA bass blockers.
Yeah, I have the speakers playing full range now rather than 25-125 Hz and it sounds a bit better. Thanks for the reccommendation on the Harrisons.

What do you have in the door speakers? I want to replace those next.

Thanks

Jim
Old 10-08-2003, 10:40 PM

What do you have in the door speakers? I want to replace those next.
I'm currently running the Adire Audio Koda's. But I ran the Infinity Reference line for quite some time before these. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:09 PM

I'm currently running the Adire Audio Koda's. But I ran the Infinity Reference line for quite some time before these. Can't go wrong with either.
Wow, that's some serious stuff. A little too expensive for me, but I bet $350 is a bargain at double the price.

Any reccommendations for something in the $200 range?? Otherwise I think I may go for the Infinity Reference (6002si right?).

Jim
Old 10-08-2003, 11:44 PM

but I bet $350 is a bargain at double the price.
Indeed.

In the $200 range? If you can spare it, go with the Focal Polyglass line. If those are a little too much, they have a lower line called the Access line. Still a very nice set. Another one worth mentioning would be the Alpine Type-R's.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:11 AM

you can get some nasty MB Quart components on ebay for $200....I have MB quart in the rear and think their incredible im waiting to save up for the front ones.....
Old 10-11-2003, 09:32 PM

As mentioned before, no way will your rmb6's play base... i wouldnt play them under 60hz for sure. So cut them off around 70 or so. They are not full range speakers.. they are made to play midbase and thats it.

You could always get some kicker rs5's to go with that..the resolution series..you can get them real cheep at
etronics.com and they are pretty good for the cash!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:34 AM

Would you need X-overs for these?