Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Need some help with a head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 10:08 AM

Need some help with a head unit

I'm thinking about putting an aftermarket head-unit in my Z, but want to keep the factory speaker setup for now. Is there anyway I could do this? Maybe run the speaker off of the preamp outputs since each speaker has it's own amplification? Oh, it's a Bose tape deck (factory) right now. I want to keep the car as close to stock (appearance wise), and I don't want to have to tear the interior apart to rout speaker wire.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:29 AM

Read this. Maybe the mods here should think about posting this as a sticky. Or start a FAQ thread here.

As far a which H/U..... what are you looking for? Just a CD player?MP3? What kind of options?
If you don't want MP3 capability then a suggest the Alpine 7892. BY FAR the best H/U for the cash. (And I stress the BAY FAR!)

If you DO want MP3 capability then I suggest stepping up to the
Alpine 7894 Alpine is also coming out with some new ones that are even a better deal then these. Watch for them! But as of now, these are your best buys hands down
Old 02-10-2003, 06:47 PM

If you are going to just use factory speakers it wont matter... if you get a harness adapter that plugs in at walmart ($10) and has wires on the other end you splice into the harness of the H/U all you gotta do is match colors, and not only that with the stock amplifier, it runs on High level inputs. so if you did what i said above it would still use the stock amp on the speakers, i ran my system in my camaro like that for some time sounded ok but not like this : My Ride