Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

need help picking an amp!!!

Old 07-28-2002, 08:35 PM

Post need help picking an amp!!!

well, i had a PPI PC2350 lined up (1400X1 rms) for my subs but lost and now need a hand picking an amp! i have heard great things about the Mmats amps and Orion HCCA amps. i hear that the JL and PPI amps are decent, but not in the same class as the other two. what are some GREAT amps that are out there? what are you guys running for some serious power in your cars? im looking to power (possibly) 2 Adire audio Brahma 10's in a millhouse box and need some SERIOUS juice.
brian
Old 07-29-2002, 01:12 AM

kicker kx1200.1 1200w x1 at 4 ohms (probably more like 1500 watts)
Old 07-29-2002, 06:28 AM

thanks for the suggestion. what do they ususally cost?
brian
Old 07-29-2002, 11:53 AM

this is my kind of question.

U.S. AMPS

www.usamps.com

oh baby, they know how to make a friggin amp ill tell you that. each one is handcrafted in florida.

check out the site.... they make some rediculous amps

the one i have is a
1000rmsx2 @ 2ohm
2000rmsx1 @ 1ohm

and that is what they are rated at 12 volts....... they underrate their amps and you are running a gm car, ... "steady" 13.6 vols.... so... that much more power due to the voltage of the car to begin with, you are looking at somewhere in the ballpark of a 2500rms amp.... with a signal to noise ratio of about 85 db's... incredible for a resistance of 1 ohm... they are rated at 110 db's at 4 ohms.

so yeah, us rocks... they have an incredible amount of protection schemas to keep the amp from hurting itself.... and also whats called "smart amp" technology, that keeps track of so much stuff its stupid... you have to take it to a dealer to get the info read however..... most have remote bass gains and also, if the amp is still in warranty and something happens to it....... you get a new amp since they have no repair facility onsite.... this is because stuff RARELY goes wrong with them.

U.S. is the premier amplifier company... they are the best in the buisness.

------------------
1994 Camaro Z28 Patriot Red
Mods: MSD Wires, K&N Filter, LOUDMOUTH, AVS TailCovers, CAMARO insert
Stereo:
HU: Clarion DRX7675z
Signal: Audio Control 2XS
Full Range: Infinity Kappa Components, Audio Art Amps
Subs: 2 Rockford Fosgate Power DVC 12's, U.S. Amps US 400 (old school rev. 4)
Power Wires: Scosche
Signal Wires: KnuKonceptz

E.T: 14.09 @ 94.73
Let off @ 1100'
Old 07-29-2002, 01:36 PM

USAmps are very nice, so are the Kicker series, an older HCCA...

....I'd look for a Kicker ZR1000. You can find them on Ebay for $300-$400. Awesome amps....

Shon

------------------
2000 Mercury Cougar Special Edition
----------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/bustatail.geo/smith.html
Old 07-29-2002, 05:30 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lynxis:

U.S. is the premier amplifier company... they are the best in the buisness.

</font>
Oh really, have you forgot about Linear power, Brax, Helix, McIntosh.... and about a dozen other companies that are at least on par or better than US Amps.

They are great products, but "the best in the business"... sorry, NO.

------------------
Soundillusions.net
The ultimate in caraudio.

Sony, Arc Audio, Infinity, Adire Audio, A/D/S
Old 07-29-2002, 09:09 PM

rthompson, what do you recommend as the top 12 amps??
brian
Old 07-30-2002, 08:27 AM

i think when you consider a "great product", you have to consider more than just the product. you have to consider consumer avalability, reliability, satisfaction, value, etc etc etc. all of which go into making a "great product"... not just the components of the amp but the backing you have behind it counts enourmously as well.

no i have not forgotten about linear power, macintosh, etc, but how commercially avaiable to the public are they? how reliable and valuable are they? do you have confidence that, if something were to happen to your "great product", you would be able to get your beloved "great product" fixed or repaired correctly and with expedient service.

yes, i still think U.S. is the best in the amplifier buisness because they provide "the best product"
--------------------
edited to help with SPECulation (sorry, couldnt help myself)
--------------------

USA-2000 and USA-2000X
Two Channel Class AB Amplifier
Total Power Output: 2000 Watts RMS
THD at Rated Power: &lt;0.006%
Stereo Separation: &gt;98dB
Signal/Noise Ratio: 105dBA
Frequency Response: 5Hz-50KHz
Fuse Rating: 300 Amps
Dimensions: (Including Terminals)

62mm / 2.44in High
229mm / 9.0in Wide
654mm / 25.75in Long

Weight: 7.26kg / 16.00lb
Variable 24dB Low-Pass Active Crossover

USA-2000 Only
One Ohm Stable
250 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
330 Watts x 2 into 3 Ohms
500 Watts x 2 into 2 Ohms
1000 Watts x 2 into 1 Ohms
1000 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms
1328 Watts Bridged into 3 Ohms
2000 Watts Bridged into 2 Ohms
Available in Black or Chrome

USA-2000X Only
Two Ohm Stable
500 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
660 Watts x 2 into 3 Ohms
1000 Watts x 2 into 2 Ohms
2000 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms
Available in Black or Chrome

=================================

Universal Features

24dB Electronic Crossover
USA and X series amplifiers feature a high quality full-butterworth crossover. The USA-200 and USA-400 have a fixed crossover at 90Hz high and low pass filter with a preamplifier output to enable them to be used with another amplifier. The 150 thru 2000 models have a variable 50Hz to 500Hz low-pass crossover.

Remote Bass Gain
Selected units equipped with a variable crossover feature a Remote Bass Gain (RBG) control and cable that comes with the amplifier. A single RBG can be used with multiple amplifiers to universally match their input gains.

Subsonic Filters
Larger USA and X models have a 36Hz 12dB high pass filter option that saves amplifier power for audible frequencies.

Clear Bottom Plate
U.S.Amps proudly display our hand-crafted attention to detail with a clear inspection panel on every model. Our guts are a thing of beauty.

Detachable Logo
The adhesive-backed U.S.Amps logo is left loose in the box to aid with mounting creativity.

Built-In Noise Cancellation
All U.S.Amps are input-isolated to prevent ground loops and associated system noise.

Unregulated UltraFET Power
U.S.Amps' unregulated UltraFET power supplies are resistant to low-voltage damage and actually increase in power when the engine is running.

Dynamic Headroom
With great power comes great fidelity! Our heavy gauge transformers provide extra "oomph" when needed, even when the amplifier is bridged at it's maximum load.

Smart Amp Technology
SAT is an exclusive U.S.Amps technology that continuously monitors amplifier functions to insure proper connection, supply voltage, and operating temperature. In the event of a fault condition SAT will trigger a protection circuit to immediately shut down the amplifier. Computerized SAT, available on the USA-600 and larger models, stores amplifier data tracks specific faults by type and frequency for computer download and display. Never before has such a comprehensive analysis tool been offered on a car amp!

these specs not only show how much power and accuracy US boasts, but also the versatility that each amplifier has incorporated into it.

[This message has been edited by Lynxis (edited July 30, 2002).]
Old 07-30-2002, 05:07 PM

My vote goes to memphis audio amps awesome power for not alot of money or space and they dont get hot either
http://www.woofersetc.com/showitem.taf?item_ID=898

I would check them out this amp pounds my 2 infinity kappa 12s

------------------
96 WS6 TA
Stock with bolt-ons
8# ATI blower with twin high flow intercoolers FLP headers offroad pipes with cutout MSD BTM 24# SVO injectors autolite 104 plugs centerforce clutch PRO . 5.0 shifter MAC lower control arms MAC panhardbar Autometer gauges boost, fuel pressure, & 5" moster tach and shiftlight 100 octane race fuel @ $3.79 a gallon here in Vegas Stock computer timing P0400 code
450 rwhp & 478 tq = no traction on the street or the track = )
http://www.geocities.com/ramair96ws6/Blown__96_WS6_TA.html?1001110463977
Old 07-30-2002, 05:15 PM

i am not impressed, look at the list of features that the Rockford amps have and the literature they put out, does that mean they are among the elite? (again i am not saying us amps are bad, just stating that the list of the features are EASILY matched by other brands)

That Smart Amp technology looks very similar to the system that Arc has on their amps... really here it is just as easy for me to get my Arc amp repaired... the only thing that US Amps has over Arc for me is a really high output amp, but other than that nothing....

You still have yet to convince me that they are the best out there.

------------------
Soundillusions.net

Old 07-30-2002, 08:22 PM

i am so torn here guys!! id like to get some BIG power to SLAM these brahmas, so i am leaning toward the US 2000X and orion XTRPRO 2400......but those kicker amps, memphis amps, phoenix gold amps, even that JBL amp looks good (short money). i have a question, if i get DVC subs can i run 2 amps to each sub, i.e. one to each voice coil? if i can i may have to try the JBL amp......here is the link to the subs i will be using in a dual 10 milhouse box....
http://www.adireaudio.com/car_audio/...hma_series.htm
what route would you go if you were me???
brian
Old 07-30-2002, 09:54 PM

RockFordFosgate.

check my sig for audio pics

------------------
93Z28 A4, MAC headers, 3.73's, 3" cut out, K&N FIPK, Power Chip, TBB. My Z
Old 07-30-2002, 10:23 PM

well, you really can't beat the power of the JBL amp for the price. if you are getting a pair of Brahmas, it will be a BIG strain on the electrical system to have 2 per sub, that is about 5000 watts of power with 4 of those amps. I would just recommend one per sub. Since there are a bunch of good amps that are 1 or 4 ohm optimized and the Brahma is a dual 2 ohm sub, it is really up to you. If the remote gain is important to you i would suggest the Arc 1500DR, it is rated at 1000 watts, but it has a lot of great options. The Cadence A7HC also has the remote gain and it is a bit cheaper, and will put out a little more power.... Like i said before you just can't beat the JBL 1200.1 for the price, no fancy add ons, just good clean power.

Just wanted to say that the Brahma 10 has been known to be burped reliably with 3000 watts, but IMO 1200 watts per sub is about right two 1200.1's per Brahma is a lot more power than any sub i can think of (except the GZ Plutonium) should take for daily use... when you exceed the power rating by that much you are asking for trouble IMO.

------------------
Soundillusions.net

Old 07-31-2002, 07:43 AM

Talking

Rockford Power DVC's can take that much power day in and day out.

As far as the amp debate goes, every person has their own opinion.

As far as subwoofer amplifiers go, there is no match for U.S. U.S. Started out hand making every single piece of their amps, putting them together and selling them individually to competition customers back in the late 80's early 90's. They still do this today for a large amount of the iasca and usac competitors out there today.

Some of these amps, like the one i have, has external fuse ratings of 300 amps and internal fuses that consist of 10 GUAGE POWER WIRES...... no fuses, just 10 guage wire as the fuse... if the wire melts... you blew your fuse....

these amps are serious, and every piece of knowledge goes into each amplifier. u.s. is the inovator of almost every form of new technology in the industry today. Inovations in digital and class T technology all came from U.S. labs in florida. These guys know how to do power, and do it with such precision it is mind boggling.

I remember going to a show a couple years back and one of the U.S. amps reps was there. He was putting on a demonstration with a car battery and one of their amplifiers... the usa 200 to be exact.... he had a welding torch hooked to a modified output on the amp, and was welding steel together with the thing... now thats power.

As far as accuracy goes, the first us amps technologies were used in E-MRI devices and cat scans to amplify the signal being scanned over the body of the patient to increase 10 fold the accuracy and speed of the imaging process. More and more advances have been made since even then.

i dont know, even though i have a U.S. doesnt exactly mean i am biased. Why do you think i bought the amp? Ive been at this for years and i know what the best amplifier i have ever seen was. So, i saved my money and bought it. I still feel proud as hell every time i hear/feel it do its job.

------------------
1994 Camaro Z28 Patriot Red
Mods: MSD Wires, K&N Filter, LOUDMOUTH, AVS TailCovers, CAMARO insert
Stereo:
HU: Clarion DRX7675z
Signal: Audio Control 2XS
Full Range: Infinity Kappa Components, Audio Art Amps
Subs: 2 Rockford Fosgate Power DVC 12's, U.S. Amps US 400 (old school rev. 4)
Power Wires: Scosche
Signal Wires: KnuKonceptz

E.T: 14.09 @ 94.73
Let off @ 1100'
Old 07-31-2002, 10:14 AM

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. i still don't see anything that you listed in the specs that doesn't have an equivilant type of technology on other brands... they just call it different things. As long as people realixe that it is just YOUR OPINION.... hell if i were so inclined i would say that JL Audio was the best of any (even tho i don't really feel that way), and i could name all the technology that they have that supports my view, some that (my gosh) even US Amps doesn't have.

Long story short, i still don't see anything that US Amps offers that makes it better than a lot of other really high end amps... different maybe, but better... definatly not.

------------------
Soundillusions.net

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help picking an amp!!!