Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Need audio advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 07:16 PM

Lightbulb Need audio advice...

Ok I just got back from deployment and one of my amps started acting up.. in turn it blew out my passenger side sail panel speaker...I decided that 3 yearsis long enough for these old speakers and it was time to get new mids replace the amp I have diamond audio mids all around and they are powered by http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099388637267 This amp
What is a good choice to replace the 4 mids that will fit? i'm not worried about price so much and I want some speakers that can take a beating and sound good semi-loud, I don't compete but I want something I can CRANK up. I have a 6 fahrad cap on my sub amp should I have one on my Mid amp also? this is what the setup looks like:
Old 07-23-2006, 07:25 PM

Re: Need audio advice...

Your 6 farad cap only needs to be on your sub amp. The bass is what places the largest demand for current in your system so that is where it will do the most good. The closer to the sub amp you can get it the better.

I recently replaced my Boston Acoustics Rally Series components with Alpine Type-R components. While the Bostons are excellent speakers the Alpines totally blow them away with much better mid-bass performance.

Your speakers should have lasted much longer than they did. How did you go about setting your amp's gain? I'm guessing you have it set way too high and are sending a badly clipped signal to the speakers. This badly clipped signal is what overheats your speaker's voice coils which will cause them to fail prematurely.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:32 PM

haha i keep mixing it up with the german word for bicycle (fahrad), did the alpines fit nicely in the doors and sail panels? i fear it is too late to even mess with the amp's gain now, when i turn the stereo up gradually louder, the high end of the songs kinda muffle and then you can hear the mids kinda cut in and out and then lately it will totally cut out and all I hear is my sub. I think maybe the amp burned out on the inside or something. it's supposed to be fan cooled but i felt the amp and it still gets really really hot. its just the passenger side speakers too that sound weaker, i checked and replaced the rca cable and it still sounds kind of like a plastic bag is slightly buzzing in the speaker casing. I'm at the point where i would like to just start over with new amp and mids
Old 07-23-2006, 07:55 PM

I don't use rear speakers in my car. Click my sig to see photos and an explanation for why I had to make custom speaker baffles.

Connect your passenger (right side) speaker to the amp's driver (left side) speaker connection. If the speaker still cuts in and out you've ruled out the amp as the problem and narrowed it down to the speaker itself as the problem.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:25 PM

i did that in the parking lot, both passenger side speakers are not working well an d the channels are dead
i guess that means i need to replace them..
i dont use the rear speaker, its disconnected i just use the front 4...
I dont have all the time to make custom fits exactly but id like something that wont blow out easily and an amp that can handle those days where the music just never is loud enough...