Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

my 6 month old infinity speakers blew, what I do wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 08:02 PM

my 6 month old infinity speakers blew, what I do wrong

I have always enjoyed these speakers, they are the 6.5 inch component speakers, they didn't really have any bass, which was dissapointing. I always kept the setting on my stereo set with the HPF and LPF on, to prevent any damage. Anytime there was any distortion I turned them down, since I wanted them to last, so Since the bass reeally sucked I turned off the filters and low and behold much better bass, so I pop in a cd with low bass, with volume turned down, well this proved fatal, as they now make all sorts of horrible noises. Are these types of speakers supposed to have the filters on, or do they just suck. The tweeters are fine, but the 6.5 inch bass is blown on both sides. Should the filters always be used on all small speakers, or are there some quality speakers that will last with some bass.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:55 PM

how much power are you running to them? It's always a good idea to use a HPF at about 80Hz or so (lower with better mids) on components, a must if you're running good power to them. Have you looked at the mids to see what's causing the noise? Maybe some of the surround has come unglued.

I have the same speakers up front and I am running 100W RMS to each side with great results. The HPF is set to about 80Hz.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:06 AM

I blew one of my Infinity Reference woofers a while back. I had it mounted in the plastic factory baffle board. Turns out that on long excursions the woofer cone was actually slamming into the back of the door's trim panel. I ended up making my own baffle boards that lowered the woofer 1/4" deeper into the door.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:45 AM

I've got a 60X4 RMS Alpine running on them, not bridged since I am running four speakers. Would you suggest me also set them at 80HZ? What about the LPS what should I set that thing at?
LS1 RULZ I haven't noticed it hitting my door panel but its something I'm gonna check on. There seems to be no damge to the speakers themselves, so I have no idea what is wrong, except they sound awefully bad
Old 08-31-2003, 10:13 AM

My spesakers had no apparent damage. The VC detached internally from the cone.

If you are not using a subwoofer there is no point of turning on your LPF (Low Pass Filter). This simply blocks the mids and treble from getting to the subwoofer.

I would still leave the HPF (High Pass Filter) on and set it around 80Hz. Removing the bass from the main speakers will help them to play more clearly and handle more power. However....read on.

When I had my Infinity speakers I found that they didn't handle loud midbass worth a damn. And that was with them high passed at 80Hz @ 18dB/octave. Thats why I switched to Boston Acoustics. With everything set the same the Bostons have not had the distortion problem like the Infinity speakers did. The Infinity tweets sound great but their mid-woofers suck.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:20 PM

thanks for the help guys, I do run a sub so all set it. Since those speakers suck with bass, I'll keep them at 80 HZ, hopefully I can get infinity to fix my broke ones, since I've found the reciept. They'll probably tell me its my fault or something, if they're any kind of good company they should fix or replace them.