Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

my 1999 Camaro SS XM radio install experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Banned

my 1999 Camaro SS XM radio install experience

well i just got done installing my XM radio, took a few hours because i had no clue what i was doing when i went into it. here are my thoughts and suggestions on how others might want to do this.

the XM unit i chose was the Terk XM Commander, can be found on ebay for about $130 shipped but i found it at XMFanStore.com for slightly more, and XMFanStore.com is listed on the XMradio.com website as being an official place to buy XM supplies.

to use the Terk XM Commander's RCA jacks you will need a 2001+ monsoon headunit and the GM9-AUX adapter, which can be purchased at the same store as the XM Commander. this adapter plugs in between the stock cd changer harness and the headunit.

the camaro is ALMOST perfectly designed for this unit, it even has a perfect mounting position. the place you will want to mount this is where the LT1 body control module is mounted, on the passenger side behind the kick pannel. remove that long piece of body molding and reveal a cradle for your XM unit. you will have to pull out the plastic "tree" pushpins that hold the bottom plastic piece on the dash, then pull it down, slide the XM unit up and then down into the cradle. you will have to use a pair of dykes or pliers to cut the correct spots out of the cradle so that your wires will plug into the XM unit.

for power and RCA i ran it behind the glovebox and to the back of the headunit, plugged the RCA into the adapter and attached power to the stock harness power lines. tap into Pin 9 (Yellow) for the ACCY connector on the XM and Pin 10 (Orange) for the Bat+ connector. make sure you put it back far enough adn give enough slack as to not stretch or pinch any wires when you put the headunit back into its position. wrap the wire taps in electrical tape for good measure. once you got the power done and the RCA and adapter all hooked up put the headunit back in.

the ground i used was a stock ground about 4 inches above where you mount the XM unit, right in front of you (you'll see it).

to mount the antenna i mounted the magnetic antenna on top of the passenger side shock tower and ran the wire through the firewall using the huge grommit under the PCM. you will have to remove the PCM to get access to this grommit. this grommit pops through the firewall about 4 or 5 inches higher than the XM unit mounting spot.

for all the slack i just carefully tied it back into various spaces behind the glovebox. make sure when you close the glovebox it doesn't hit the excess wires. the excess antenna wire i wrapped VERY GENTLY and loosly tied it up with a wire tie, and pushed it back up torwards the grommit in that empty space.

i think thats it, test everything and then put the car back together.

i do not think putting the antenna under a stock metal hood will work, the metal will not let the XM signal pass through ... but the fiberglass SS hood lets the signal streight through. if you have a metal hood i'd mount the antenna on top of the dash or on the rear flappy thing that seperates the "trunk" from the cabin.

it took about 15-20 minuites for the XM unit to recognize all channels after i activated it online. if you activate it online its 5 bucks cheaper than if you do it on the phone.

i think thats the basics, i don't think i'm forgetting anything but i might be. i've been told "yes" and "no" about tapping into the stock headunit lines for power and for ACCY ... i figure the XM unit is pulling such a small amount of current it really doesn't matter. oh well, it works!

hope this helps someone.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Banned

Re: my 1999 Camaro SS XM radio install experience

pics of install:

(big) http://anasazi.sytes.net/ss/xmradio/dSCN0664.JPG
(small) http://anasazi.sytes.net/ss/xmradio/dSCN0664_small.JPG

(big) http://anasazi.sytes.net/ss/xmradio/dSCN0666.JPG
(small) http://anasazi.sytes.net/ss/xmradio/dSCN0666_small.JPG
Old 12-14-2004, 09:01 PM

Very nice. I installed my antenna inside the rear spoiler. I ran the wire the same way the 3rd brake light wire runs. It works well. I did have the antenna under the carpet on the back deck. It worked well until I got the back window tinted. Then I had nothing so I had to relocate it.

I do love the satellite radio. It would be hard to go back.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Banned

how did you open the spoiler up to put it in there? i'm thinking i might re-locate the antenna out of sight because it does get looks at the track when the hood is up and i'm away from my car ... which is exactly what i don't want.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:19 PM

I would move the antenna man. Im an installer and i would get fired if i did **** like that. Just put it in the spare tire area or something, not in the 200+ degree engine bay.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
I would move the antenna man. Im an installer and i would get fired if i did **** like that. Just put it in the spare tire area or something, not in the 200+ degree engine bay.
move the antenna to the spare tire area?

umm ...
Old 01-09-2005, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by anasazi
move the antenna to the spare tire area?

umm ...

yes...where most of us keep our nitrous bottles. I probably install 3-5 sat radio's a day and would NEVER put the antenna in the engine bay.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
The rear quarter panels are metal... no problems with reception doing this? I have an XM setup to put in my 96SS but not sure what the heck to do with the antenna. I'm glad I read this because I was just going to stick it on the outside... I'm glad to see there are other options
Old 01-16-2005, 09:42 PM

I tried mine inside the car and the signal dropped in and out. I recently installed it on top of the rear glass in the center. Works great and not that noticeable.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Brent94Z
The rear quarter panels are metal... no problems with reception doing this? I have an XM setup to put in my 96SS but not sure what the heck to do with the antenna. I'm glad I read this because I was just going to stick it on the outside... I'm glad to see there are other options
Any other opinions on mounting it inside by the spare tire? Any special hints for placement? I'm getting ready to do this and would like to do it right the first time.

Thanks!