Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

I need a new stereo. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM

I need a new stereo. Any suggestions?

Ok! This is my first time posting here, so please, be kind
I just got my first car last night (early birthday present) and its a 1995 Camaro. Now, me being the luxery car lover that I am, this car is going to get tons of upgrades. (First I gotta get a job though :x) But the first upgrade i need to make, it a stereo upgrade. (Unless someone can tell me how to convert all my cds to cassettes)
Right now its got a cute little cassette player, but I want a boss cd player. (well as boss as a cd player can get for the budget of a 15 y/o girl.) Anyways, Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for cheap but durable stereos. Im not interested in any of that goofy sirius XM radio or ipod hook up stuff, I just need something sweet and simple.
Thanks much!
-S
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Re: I need a new stereo. Any suggestions?

I've been super satisfied with JVC's. Of the last 4 radios I bought 3 were JVC's and 1 was Pioneer.

Go to Crutchfield and look at their head units. If you buy a 129.99 head unit you get the dash kit and the wiring harness free which is the same price or cheaper than buying a 99 dollar radio and buying the dash kit and harness separately and you get a better radio.

The reason I bought a Pioneer the last time is that the JVC's stying was to flashy or something but they have all the bells and whistles you're looking for.

Do you have the Bose system? I had the Bose system and stripped it out and rewired everything. The only factory wires I'm using are the constant, ignition, and ground at the head unit. Everything else has been replaced and rewired. Now I'm running four 6.5" Pioneers and two 12" Rockford Fosgates in a sealed box run off of a Lightning Audio 300 watt amp. It's not the loudest I've heard, but I've had nothing complements, it's clear as a bell at 75 mph on the interstate with the T-Tops out, and have less then 700 bucks in it.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:32 PM

ALMOST all the new head units have ipod hookups, you may also want to consider geting one with bluetooth so you can wirelessy use it with a smart phone. Believe me, you might as well get all the features up frontbecause you may want them down the road. All the big brands are much better than factory, JVC, pinoneer, kenwood, etc., just pick what you like. It is also a big mprovemnt to replace the speakers and add a sub. Crutchfield can make selecting a system and installing it yourself very simple.

Plus saVE all the factory junk so if you sale the car later you can keep your nice stuff.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM

NO KENWOOD! ! Pioneer is the best get some buyers guides and read. No Kenwood!