Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

HELP! - RELAY - starter kill

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 04:52 PM

HELP! - RELAY - starter kill

Alright, so what did I do wrong?

Brent Franker's Starter Kill:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/starterkill.htm

So I got it all wired up using a standard 30A automotive relay (should that work?).

I know I have the starter wire because it wont start unless I disconnect them from the relay and touch them.

However, when connected to the relay I get nothing:

Ok, I have 12ga wire from pin 86 to ground.

Pin 85 is spliced into light blue pass. window up wire.

Pin 30 goes to theft deterant relay side of purple wire.

Starter side of purple wire to pin 87.

-----why wont this work? = (
---what are some common mistakes? could the relay be bad?

Please help me guys, I don't have much experience with electrical circuits besides sound systems.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Is the key on when you are trying this? With the ign in the off position, there is no 12v to raise the window.

If you are trying this with the ign in the on/start position then check for voltage at the window up wire. That's what I would do first for the troubleshooting
Old 04-18-2004, 08:42 AM

Thanks - got it all figured out - I began to suspect I had the wrong wire because I ripped open the window and saw that the light blue wire there was a little thicker. My light ble wire was deep in the taped up portion that exits the car. So before finally finding that small set of wires, I disconnected every little quick-connect wire harness I had there, and when the window still worked I just checked for voltage in every wire I could get my hands on...until I saw that light blue wire of course, I knew instantly that was it. Little electrical tape for all the wires i made small incisions in, and it's all good. I did learn what wires control locks, etc. tho...so that was interesting.

Thanks for your help Brent, and for a great starter kill.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent! Glad you got it all figured out.

One very important thing though... when you drop your car off somewhere for whatever reason and give them the keys, make sure they know the trick to get it started!

My paint/body guy had my car for a while about 1.5 years ago doing the yellow paint job and he became familiar with how to start the car. Well, about 6 months ago a rock hit the car and I needed him to fix it. Went to his shop, picked him up, went back to my house and I let him take the car back to the shop. Well, I took it out of gear and put on the parking brake and didn't shut the car off. My car is difficult to drive because of the clutch and he ended up stalling it about 3 blocks from my house. He said he knew there was "something" he had to do to get the car started back up but couldn't remember (a year later). He said after sitting there for about 15 minutes and fiddling with stuff it finally came to him and he was able to start the car again DOH!

So, just be sure to tell/show people how to start the car or you'll end up with phone calls wondering why it won't start
Old 04-19-2004, 12:22 PM

Yea...Im hoping one day a friend jokingly jumps in and tries to start her up - the confusion on their face would be awesome. However, they'd probably never dare try that because they know the consequences.....

Once again, thanks for sharing your kill switch with readers like me.