Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

help with choosing a new deck

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 07:55 PM

help with choosing a new deck

i need to find a new cd player for my '98 because it just spits the discs out. i'm a newb, but the last deck i bought was Pioneer DEH-1600. i put that in my '92 buick regal and i've been satisfied with it ever since. great sound, never skipped, and the blue background at night is a cool touch. i'd like to avoid Dual and Sony and my limit is $130. i don't need anything real fancy, just something that sounds good, is quality built, and doesn't break the bank.

now my second question. i see this car will need an adapter for an aftermarket cd player. the car came with the 6-speaker system and monsoon cd player. would Best Buy be likely to have the mounting kit and antenna adapter? i had my buick's deck installed there, and it was about $50 and they did a good job. (i know nothing about installing this stuff) is installing a new deck in an f-body more difficult than normal cars?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:00 PM

Re: help with choosing a new deck

Yes it will need and adapter and yes best buy sells one. They sell everything you need to install it. The camaro is one of the easiest HU install ever. You pop the trim surronding the top vents all the way down te below the HVAC controls. Remove screws from factory HU. Pull it out and un hook wires. Take the aftermaket wireing harness and wire it up with your CD player by matching the wires on each ones intrustions ( like back left + to back left +). Put new HU into adapter and plug in harness to where u disconnected the old factory one and hook up antenna into hole. Screw in and replace the trim. Really easy. I can walk you thru the whole thing that was just a quick run thru. Now as for the HU. What features are a must for you if any? I am gonna give ya some suggestions from the best buy website as it seems thats where u will most likey buy it from. Go with the alpine ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134701297858) or the Pioneer (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134702498021) . They are both bottom of the line stuff. It is was me i would spend another little bit and get this one ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134702498186) Those are really the only choices to even consider from what best buy sells. I suggest spending the money and getting the better pioneer but thats just me. None of the other brands sold at BB are worth crap. Kenwood is only good in the exceleron series and they dont carry it.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:10 PM

i don't have an ipod or another mp3 player, so i don't need anything extra in terms of that, and i'm not planning on getting satellite radio. no touch screen or anything like that. just something that plays cds.

as for other stores, there's the walmart's, target's, etc. and there's also radioshack around here.

thanks.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:01 AM

Go to www.crutchfield.com its probally one fo the better known and most resepecable online car sterio places. Look around and get whatever suits you.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:53 AM

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OxUa9U3...0&I=130DEH2800

i'm liking this one quite a bit. a good midrange deck. of course i'll have to check out some more reviews.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM

Yeah thats not a bad unit at all. You can alwasy email those guys and tell them what you are looking for and a price range and they will make suggestions.