Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Electric Door Locks Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Question Electric Door Locks Not Working

I have a 2000 Camaro 3.8L that has power windows and door locks. However the door locks do not work. Here lies the problem... i push the lock button and you can hear the "click" noise in the dash so i know the electric part is ok it doesn't move the lock though. I bought the car that way... also the driver side door isn't hooked up like if you open the door the lights attached to the rear view mirror dont light up and the head unit doesn't shut off but the window and lock buttons and side mirror button works... so i don't know if that has anything to do with the locks not working or not but if anyone has any idea how to fix it or where to start or even how to hook the door back up to the dome lights and acc. killer that would be awesome as well. also if i push the door lock button to lock the doors and manually lock the doors, go to the outside and unlock the passenger door(because the driver side isn't hooked up) and open it the alarm goes off. oh and the security feature will randomly not let me start my car. so if anyone can help me out that would be awesome thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 AM

Re: Electric Door Locks Not Working

I'd start with the door switch in the drivers door. it may not lock with that door open, and if the door is shut and the switch is bad, it may be either open or closed all the time. not too sure though
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM

well the switch is still good im not sure if there is a motor that can go bad that moves the lock or not i can manualy lock the doors but when i push the button it doesnt work you can hear the "click" sound not the door lock moving just like a relay click or something like that
Old 03-11-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by dougefresh
also if i push the door lock button to lock the doors and manually lock the doors, go to the outside and unlock the passenger door(because the driver side isn't hooked up) and open it the alarm goes off.

i'm not sure what you mean by (not hooked up.) does either door lock or unlock with the switch on the drivers door. try the switch on the passenger door as well. also i would guess that your door jamb switch near the hinges is bad. that would be why your light doesn't come on and your radio keeps running.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 AM

sorry for not being clear... the passenger side does not work as well but i thought it could be because of the driver side not working. by not being hooked i mean the door has power to the windows and locks and mirrors but when you open the door it doesnt turn the lights on and it doesnt turn off the radio and if the keys are in the ignition it doesnt chime like if you had left the lights on. im not sure if there is a wireing harness that went bad of if its a lose wire or something that is missing but i dont want to rip it apart and find out because i have no idea what i am doing or what im looking for i just know that if i push the lock button/ unlock button it doesnt work you can hear the relay getting power in the dash but thats it.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:34 AM

Alright. I would check the courtesy fuse in the fuse panel to the left of the gauge cluster. #8 fuse 20 amp. if that is good then try the door jamb switch as i said before. its not on the door, it's inside the door jamb. open the door and it will be a little button like thing sticking out on the front edge of the opening. sort of where your hood latch **** is. it could be stuck in, or bad, or unplugged. push on it and make sure it goes in, if not get a new one. to see if it's plugged in, take the left kick panel out and look. you should be able to take a paper clip and jump the terminals of the harness to see if everything works wiring wise. i'm not sure how the LS camaro's work, someone else could chime in, but i know my civic will not lock if the doors are open. this could be the problem, so start there. the chime doesn't go off and nothing shuts off when you open the door because the BCM thinks the door is still shut. (

Last edited by L.dookie; 03-12-2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: new info
Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 AM

just did some more light reading and it looks like it's going to either be the fuse or that jamb switch. there are 4 modes for the locks to work in, and there is a lockout prevention function as well. if need be i can tell you how to change it so the doors lock only when you push the button. but you will need to fix it first. check the switch on the passenger door as well. i know i'm flooding you with info, and i'm guessing you don't know a whole lot about working on cars yet, just trying to help.

Last edited by L.dookie; 03-12-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 PM

thanks guys for the help and you are correct i know very little about cars im trying to learn though i will check that in the morning thanks for the help guys!!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:39 AM

Any luck
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM

none i tried to fix the wires and did something wrong and now its all messed up like the headunit doesn't work windows locks nothing so its going to a garage and now someone hit me in a walmart parking lot and put a dent in the bumper and broke the corner of the spoiler know where i can find a stock bumper cheap???
Old 03-22-2011, 03:22 AM

wow... that sounds like a bad day. you could try ebay or a junk yard