Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Double Din Android in 94 Camaro - Love it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 11:44 AM

Double Din Android in 94 Camaro - Love it!

I recently installed a "cheap Chinese" android touch screen in my son's Toyota and was very pleasantly surprised with the quality and features.
It's a double din touch screen Android tablet-radio. Out of the box everything worked, no surprises and it sounded awesome.

That got me thinking about how nice such a unit would be in the Camaro, how it could make the car so much more enjoyable, modern.
I did some searching and was shocked to find that we can now purchase a double din dash kit for our 93-96 Camaros.
I was skeptical. Because the dash trim around the radio is visually very noticeable I was concerned the color or texture might be off and make it look out of place.
I ordered one to see, I could always return it if it was garbage. To my surprise it was a great piece!

So I ordered another "cheap Chinese" radio.
The BIG NEWS: I didn't need to cut the dash structure (like the instructions say) to install the radio. Because there is nothing to it, it's a tablet-radio and it's only 2" deep. It doesn't protrude deep enough into the dash to interfere with anything.
Installation was simple. I trimmed the mounting brackets a bit with a cutoff wheel where needed because they protrude in farther than anything else and did interfere with the internal dash structure. Wiring it in was cake.
The only issue I had - there is a blue wire labeled "remote amplifier trigger" and I connected it to the trigger lead for my amp. When I powered the unit up the first time I had no amp. No voltage at the blue wire.
I did some digging, and no problem. Under the settings menu there is a section for sound. You have to turn on the "remote Amplifier control". I moved the slider to "on" and immediately had the amp power up.
I guess this is there to give you the option to turn off the amp, save your car battery and run a remote bluetooth speaker. Like if you are at a picnic, game, etc outdoors and want music from a remote speaker.
It would be nice if the default setting was on instead of off though.

I spent hours playing with it last night and getting all the apps and screens set up the way I want them. I'm really excited for spring to come so I can drive it!

Old 12-03-2022, 09:45 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Double Din Android in 94 Camaro - Love it!

OLD Fart rant follows: We have very different attitudes. I have struggled for decades to keep the original audio equipment working in my 98 TA, including the remote CD changer. I'm not sure your having a big touch screen is very safe for the rest of us on the road. Rant over ;-)
Old 12-04-2022, 09:42 AM

Re: Double Din Android in 94 Camaro - Love it!

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
OLD Fart rant follows: We have very different attitudes. I have struggled for decades to keep the original audio equipment working in my 98 TA, including the remote CD changer. I'm not sure your having a big touch screen is very safe for the rest of us on the road. Rant over ;-)
I was right there with you, old fart, until recently. I'm almost 50 and getting there myself. I'm definitely feeling the grumpy old man inside me become more dominant.
That being said.

Yes, the screen can be a distraction for many. I think what it boils down to is how you use it. I use technology to lessen the distractions.
I know myself pretty well. I like to talk to friends on the phone while I drive. I also like to use my GPS navigation and share travel information with other drivers. Where police are hiding, or there are hazards on the road for example. I like to always see the current speed limit displayed. Also, I really like listening to music. I use an application that I have an extensive playlist on and have instant access to nearly any song ever recorded.

Until last year when I drove my Camaro I had access to no music other than what was on the radio or what I had burned to a CD (which I gave up on years ago). I also had no safe or legal way to talk on the phone while driving, or to use my GPS travel app.
I found myself driving other cars that allowed my activities and avoiding the Camaro. I really missed the more modern technology in my other cars. All of them come factory equipped with feature rich touch screens.

That all changed last spring. I installed a little $11 bluetooth circuit board in the line output between the factory head unit and the aftermarket amp. It was an invisible mod to the eye, but it allowed me to get the audio from my cell phone onto my car speakers.
At least I had my music. I found myself diving the car more - I even took it on the 2022 Hot Rod Power Tour as a long hauler.
I was still unable to safely talk on the phone, or use my GPS travel app. But I did anyways. Driving a stick shifted car, juggling my cell phone between my hand and the passenger seat or console. Constantly looking over for it, where has it slid off to now? It sucked.

That all changes again, now. I now have hands free calling with voice dialing. I don't have to illegally hold a phone up to my ear. I can just talk.
Also, my GPS travel app is now on the larger fixed screen for me to easily see. I don't need to look over at the passenger seat to see what the little screen on the phone says anymore, if it hasn't slid onto the floor.
I can change the volume and track with fixed buttons on the radio instead of on the cell phone.
Much better. Much less distracting!

I suppose I could of gotten a suction-cup mount or similar and put the cell phone in it stuck to the windshield or dash. I really don't like those mounts though and it would of been a PITA reaching up there also to change the volume and track.

I did like having the look of the factory radio. And I still have it. Putting it back in is just a few screws and plugs that I can do in minutes if I want to for some reason.

Last edited by TraceZ; 12-04-2022 at 12:56 PM.