Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

custom fiberglass work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 11:13 PM

custom fiberglass work?

what are these jobs going for in your area... out here they go by the job but some places even pull by the hour. just curious what can be expented on the range for similar setups.

for this example lets say from the rear seat back to the tail lights with no moving parts. in my area they want anywhere from $3-5,000 and that's before paint and without equipment.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:09 AM

Re: custom fiberglass work?

That sounds about right.

My shop does a ton of custom work, all of it by the job. We actually end up making less money on a big job like that than we would if we spent the time pumping out starter after starter after starter.

The guy at my shop who does most of the custom work at my shop will spend about 20-25 hours on finishing alone. I'd imagine most shops would do the same.

Right now we have a Supra in our shop that's got about 3500$ in work paid for, and it's been in the garage for about a year and a half. Everything just has to be done right.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:50 PM

I agree, I just started glassing and the sanding and pre-paint work is a pain. I'm 85% done with my newst project (you'll be real interested in this "kandied"). A rear seat enclosure for 4-12's with a custom console, pics will be up sun. Making my molds and ring placement was fairly easy but it's this dang sanding thats giving me headaches. But since it's going in my 86 Z28, you'll prolly like it.

I'm trying to drum up some business for my interior company, but I have realized that I'll have to charge by the job too. Each coat of resin takes at least two hours to fully cure and I've gone through 10 quarts of resin already, so the bill could be major and I'd have no customers. If your doing this for yourself, charge by the job and estimate what your labor will be. A friend of mine is selling a glass/mdf box for 6 10's and he wants $350 and thats unpainted!!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:27 PM

yeah but out this way just a rear 4th/3rd gen glassed enclosre to hold say 2/3 subs and an amp or two is up around 3-4000.

slightly more in deed. i know it's alot of work as i've done some with my car from the hood to other little areas but i just don't have the room at the current time and to be honest don't have enough experience with it to build what i really want. i've considered the fact of having someone else build the setup itself for me based on my input but it's been very hard to find anyone willing to be around a reasonable area which is why i wanted to see what many of you thought on the subject.

i appreciate the replies.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:36 PM

NO, NO, NO WAIT!!!!!

I've seen you take your car a long way over the years and believe me, you can can glass it yourself. I knew nothing about glassing until 5 months ago and now I can build ANYTHING out of fiberglass. All my knowledge has come from the internet and also the "installer challenge" at this years Nopi show. 3-4K for a box? I'm glad to know that, so I guess my enlclosure is worht alot. I just sent another buddy here a pic of the boxes until I update tommorow, but I think I'll throw those two pics up now. check my page in about 10 minutes, never mind, I'll be back with the link.

I cant stress this enough, it's worth doing yourself. BRB
Old 12-03-2004, 11:53 PM

I hope this works

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_293_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_294_full.jpg
Old 12-13-2004, 09:20 AM

Hey Kandied!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you sre still checking this thread.

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/239349/8

scroll down to the bottom of the page. It's not that hard to do homie, My painting skills need a lil help, but remember this is my first attempt. Is this what you were talking about for $3000, I would charge about $1000 for my box if i were to do it again.

I've used about $200 worth of resin already, but it's soooo worth it. i plan to kill the freakin nopi show next year.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:29 PM

I'm the same way. About 2 years ago I just was bored and picked up $40 of fiberglass/resin off an ebay auction and started fooling around. Kept playing around. Kept playing around. Now I use different resins and cloths for different effects and I've spent the past 6 months working with Carbon Fiber doing both work by hand and with a vacuum setup for ultra-light-weight parts. The learning curve is very reasonable for composites. You spend 25% of the time learning 75% of the concepts. Then you spend the next 75% of the time doing fine details. It's all in the final prep work really, but from what I've seen on your car (and an inspiration to me you've been) I bet you can do it. Start with like $50-$60 in base materials and do some simple stuff and then work up from there before investing the $3000+ in a custom job that you probably could do yourself.

Also there is a huge difference in cost depending on how the base structure was made. Making an MDF box and glassing it is a lot cheaper then making the whole box from pure fiberglass. Some things like stangkilla's are much harder to do (awesome job dude!) espicially for symmetry. Lots of patience is needed, but doing the work yourself is both satisfying and rewarding. (and saves a lot of cash!)
Old 12-13-2004, 04:32 PM

here, here!!!

Geoff is totally right on the money. If you check my page now you'll see that I spent Sun. Painting the drivers side enclosure. Last year I would'nt have even thought that I could ever do this. Inspiration is a strong thing, esecially when you already have a little knowledge of cars and design. Uh, I might be off here, but "kandied" is'nt your car a "show" car? So you already have what it takes to know what will get points at the shows. Look, I just saved myself that $3k you were quoted, and i did it the right way. Thanks to a few people, "lownslocamaro", glassman's custom forum etc...

GO FOR IT MAN!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 01:09 AM

looks very good!

good advice.