Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Which box sounds better from Subthump,the T-top box or Milhouse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 12:35 PM

Which box sounds better from Subthump,the T-top box or Milhouse?

I have a 94 Formula with t-tops and want to keep a place to store them.Both the boxes look good,just wondering which one has a better sound.I have 2 JL Audio 10W0's i am going to use..

Also does the Milhouse box stay in place? and it looks like it uses the factory slots to set in and pivot,what if one of them is broke how will it stay?And does it rattle?

I like the idea of the milhouse cause it would be easier to pull out for the track,but if the other one sounds better then i would rather go that route..

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-21-2003, 01:14 PM

Re: Which box sounds better from Subthump,the T-top box or Milhouse?

I think the Milhouse would be best in your case. With 10s, there isn't going to be much difference in sound--the t-top box is really geared for a pair of 12s. With the milhouse, there is no rattling. The car maybe, but not the box. It stays put both forward and back. It does use the factory pivot slots. It's essential for them to be in good working condition--or you can get one from a salvage yard for 20 bux. It hits amazingly hard--even with a couple 10s like your W0's. It's also a very flexible setup. Especially for the track people that need to quickly eliminate weight. Hope that helps.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:57 PM

Thanks that answers alot..Is .65 enough for the 10w0's? i know they call for .50-.90..The box they are in now is .90 and they sound very good..Also don't JL's take a slightly smaller opening then most 10's? JL is 9.125" not sure what others are..

Steve

Last edited by xchief1320; 07-21-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:28 PM

Dude,

Honestly, if you have the smarts, build your own "Milhouse" Box. I did mine with carpet and it looks awesome. MDF is your friend!
You can do it a lot cheaper and modify it to YOUR specs.

Pure
Old 07-21-2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by xchief1320
Thanks that answers alot..Is .65 enough for the 10w0's? i know they call for .50-.90..The box they are in now is .90 and they sound very good..Also don't JL's take a slightly smaller opening then most 10's? JL is 9.125" not sure what others are..

Steve
I custom cut the holes to match the sub and I use a circle jig and router to do so. I don't use the half-*** jigsaw approach like the guy above.

Across the board though, mounting diameters are closer for 10s than 12s so no worry there. But the box is going to sound amazing. There are guys on this board that will tell you what a JL vantage box sounds like with even a w0 in it. Well, take that to the next level with two 10s in the Milhouse. I've had guys with flea market garbage subs be totally mezmorized by how much bass that box puts out. I've also had a couple guys take their milhouse and 10s back to their shop and tell me how the installers 'bout **** their pants when they heard it. No kidding.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:41 PM

sounds good man..yeah i could build one myself,or have it done local.but then i would have to deal with the BS..lol..
I like to support the small guy that is doing something cause he likes to do it,not because he wants to get rich..

What kind of wait is there to get one to Florida "32068"? i am weighing a few options on what i want to do next to the car..It's either a new box or a cam.."i have another car i race and tinker with so the Formula isn't a racecar to me"

Thanks for the great advice Megabass..

Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 08:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by megabass
[B]I don't use the half-*** jigsaw approach like the guy above.

What kind of idiot do you think I am? The holes for my 10" are perfect! My custom box is soooo air tight.

"If you want to do it right, DO IT YOURSELF!"

The Milhouse box is soooo overpriced, I was able to do it at 1/4 of the price.

Be a man, go to your parents home (unless you live in their basement), get on your hands and knees and beg them for their forgiveness for being such a wimp!

Pure
Old 07-22-2003, 08:48 AM

Normal lead time for a milhouse is 3-4 days prior to shipping.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Pure

Be a man, go to your parents home (unless you live in their basement), get on your hands and knees and beg them for their forgiveness for being such a wimp!

Pure [/B]
Dude is this the only line you have because if so you need to go to your parents and beg for a new one.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Pure
Dude,

Honestly, if you have the smarts, build your own "Milhouse" Box. I did mine with carpet and it looks awesome. MDF is your friend!
You can do it a lot cheaper and modify it to YOUR specs.

Pure
It's not just smarts you need to build a box, skill is another factor. When making a box like a Milhouse angles of cuts will start to come into play. I've been working with wood for years, heck, a while back I built a 1.6 cube box for testing in like 2 to 2.5 hours (after I had home depot cut it to my specs since I didn't have a saw then) and making just a regular rectanglar box isn't so bad. You add angles into the mix and it can get more complicated for some people. I know it got more complicated for me as a 15 or 16 year old trying to build a nice angled front speaker box for the back of a Bonneville!

Post pics of your box if you have so much faith in it. I'll post pics of mine if you'd like. Mines only built for testing and the home depot saw cuts aren't perfect but overall it's a nice little test box. Not custom fit by any means but what do you expect after working on it for a total of 3 hours. Oh, and I used a jigsaw Steve, soon to have a circle cutting jig and a router set up soon, just got to buy'em!

PS - I won't be able to post any pics up until after this weekend since I'll be helping my parents that are moving.

Last edited by Ted J; 08-01-2003 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by biff85ta
Dude is this the only line you have because if so you need to go to your parents and beg for a new one.
My thoughts exactly

Ted, what kind of router are you looking to get? Just don't get a craftsman. I've been thru 4 of them in less than 3 years (2 different models even). Now I have a 1-3/4HP Milwakee and it's sweet.

And you're right. There is a big difference between cutting and building rectangular boxs compared to boxes with angles and bevels. I rarely build rectangular boxes anymore because everyone wants one that fits the contours of their vehicle. Definately requires more thought and skill for those. Post pics when you get a chance
Old 08-02-2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by megabass
Ted, what kind of router are you looking to get? Just don't get a craftsman. I've been thru 4 of them in less than 3 years (2 different models even). Now I have a 1-3/4HP Milwakee and it's sweet.

And you're right. There is a big difference between cutting and building rectangular boxs compared to boxes with angles and bevels. I rarely build rectangular boxes anymore because everyone wants one that fits the contours of their vehicle. Definately requires more thought and skill for those. Post pics when you get a chance
Well, right now a Craftsman router. The reasoning though, I have a $60 to $70 Craftsman tool I bought from them I'm going to take back and tell them to give me a router instead. I was thinking of getting a $100 Craftsman for it would only be like $30 to $40 more. We will probably borrow our dads plunge Dewalt router for a bit and use that. As my dad would say, who's been doing working for years now, it never hurts to have more then one router. Those Milwakee's are nice though from what I hear. My dad use to have them big boy sazall at the job he use to work at and he said that thing rocked!

I don't know if I'll post pics of the box. I mean, it's just a test box. I would if Pure posted up pics though. I was just trying to ruffle his feathers a little but in a fun way. Not like in a 'internet bashing' sort of way.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:39 PM

Well if you can get credit for the craftsman tool, might as well stick with that. Getting a higher end one is best.

I was actually very pleased with the way my craftsman routers worked. Especially the fact that they have a light inside. My new one doesn't. But the durability just wasn't there. As you can imagine, I cut a lot of circles. The first router lost a magnet chip in the motor and started going bezerk. On the second one, the plastic spider pieces that hold the lower bearing busted out. And the third one, the pin that holds the shaft when you change bits broke off inside and caused major probs. But the new milwakee is built like a tank and has more HP too Now my table saw is acting up Shoulda bought that delta instead