Which amp for this sub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 12:28 PM

Which amp for this sub?

Alright, I'm buying this sub right here:

http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_aud...rs/tempest.htm

What size amp do you guys think i need? Cheap ones would be nice
Old 01-12-2003, 02:00 PM

for a single Tempest a USAcoustics 2150 would be perfect, look at sounddomain.com.

Pretty much any amp between 400-500 watts will be great.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:00 PM

Hey Acid! That doesn't happen to be going into a ported box aimed for SPL does it? LOL!
Old 01-12-2003, 03:01 PM

A SPY!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:22 PM

to get full potential from that subwoofer i would exceed its power recomendations by 200Watts RMS. It said it handles 400 watts per a voice coil and im assuming that is RMS watts @ 4 ohms. That would mean it actually handles 800 watts RMS.
I would recomend getting an amp that is 2 ohm stable rated at 1x1000 watts RMS @ 2ohms.
I have a crunch p2250 that is rated at 2 x 250 watts @ 4 ohms but its also 2 ohm stable. so if i show it a 2ohm load its pushes 2 x500 watts @ 2ohms.

Since that sub is dual voice coil design, i would wire it in parallel creating a 2 ohm load, then bridge a mono sub amp into 2 ohms.

droping the ohm load on an AMP doubles its output, now take that same crunch amp putting out 2x 500 @ 2 ohms nad show it a 1 ohm load and you will get about 2 x 750 watts per channel, However its not a 1 ohm stable amp and will quickly fry it.

I got my crunch for $175 its rated at 250 watts times 2 channels at 4 ohms. I have it pushing 500 watts times 2 channels in 2 ohm mode. Thats the best way to get your bang for the buck.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by TriPinTaZ
Since that sub is dual voice coil design, i would wire it in parallel creating a 2 ohm load, then bridge a mono sub amp into 2 ohms.
Just to clarify something...you can't bridge a mono amp.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:48 PM

the tempest has dual 8 ohm voice coils so you should wire the coils in parallel for a 4ohm load. Go with an amp that puts out at least 600W RMS at 4 ohms. More power if you want more bass and less power if you don't really want it that loud, it's up to you.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:18 PM

Ok, i need you guys to explain some things. What exactly is an ohm? How would i wire it parallel? Some examples of amps that you suggest I use.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:23 PM

the tempest has dual 8 ohm voice coils so you should wire the coils in parallel for a 4ohm load.
You are correct and I am king of the world!!! LOL!!!

droping the ohm load on an AMP doubles its output, now take that same crunch amp putting out 2x 500 @ 2 ohms nad show it a 1 ohm load and you will get about 2 x 750 watts per channel, However its not a 1 ohm stable amp and will quickly fry it.
This is making no sense. LS1 is correct. You can't bridge a mono amp. And all the jumble about the crunch amp is not the way to go in this case. Don't even know why you mentioned it.......crunch = flea market. They are better then Pyramid or Rockwood........ so basically it's the best of the turds. But you know what they say, no matter how much you polish a turd, it still looks like s#it!

An ohm is a unit of measurement. It is the unit for resistance. If you have less resistance you allow more current to flow. And since P=V*I where P=power V=Voltage I=Current. When you double current, you double overall power. So when people want the most power out of their amp, they run at a low resistence (yes I know LS1, impedence. I trying to keep it simple ) Since the Tempest has dual 4 ohm voice coils, you would want to wire them in parallel to give you a 2 ohm load. To do this, you wire all the positives together and then wire all the negatives together. I recommended the JBL BP600.1 because it is one of the cheapest but still quality amps right now. It will give your Tempest roughly 650WRMS at full tilt.... which should be plenty in a big a$$ ported box like yours.

Last edited by firebirdude; 01-12-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by firebirdude
Sorry bro. You're thinking of the Shiva. The Tempest has Dual 4 ohm coils........
Nope, the tempest is dual 8 just like the shiva.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Temp...mary.PDF<br />

The JBL 600.1 would not be a good amp for a single tempest as it would only give it about 300W RMS.

Last edited by x7x7; 01-12-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:46 PM

That's what I said!!!! LOL! Just kidding around. You're right. I seen an Re of 3.5ohm and took off with it!!! Little did I know that was measured with voice coils already in parallel!! Although it clearly says that........ my eyes are getting old......lol

Sorry acid. The JBL BP600.1 would not be a good choice for that woofer. But the BP1200.1 would!!!! LOL The Shiva and the Tempest are meant to run in pairs. Are you sure you don't have enough room for two??? Maybe two Shivas??
Old 01-12-2003, 07:08 PM

I can only get 1 15 in there. 2 is too big and too much $ for me. I already have to buy an amp. so the JBL 1200.1?
Old 01-12-2003, 07:13 PM

What about 2 12" Shivas??? $250 shipped to your door from www.ampmanaudio.com

The 1200.1 will give you approx. 650WRMS to your Tempest....... it's just a shame to have an amp capable of 1300W and only be getting 650W...... see what I'm saying????
Old 01-12-2003, 11:52 PM

oh please forgive me ! i made an error, What i meant was bridge the amp into MONO mode. Or you can buy a MONO sub amp that is 2 ohm stable. But after reading further 2ohm stable is useless on this subwoofer unless you get a pair of subs.

As far as crunch being a turd, Fu** you. Its my turd and it pounds hard. JBL isnt much better if any anyhow. And I was using the crunch AMP as an example, I never said to go out and buy one, I was refering to the power he was going to need. How would you feel if i called your firebird a POS just because its not as fast as mine??? Get a little offended? Your ignorant.

Also I didnt read it too closely that it was already 3.5 ohms wired in parellel. That kinda sux, your gonna get half of the power potential from your amp with that.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:39 AM

Its my turd and it pounds hard.
LOL!!!!!!!! You said it! Not me!

JBL isnt much better if any anyhow.
JBL outputs the rated power.......... crunch doesn't......... simple as that. I speak from experience. I honestly didn't mean to offend......

Quick Reply: Which amp for this sub?