Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Advice... Tv screen, flip out

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 02:05 PM

Advice... Tv screen, flip out

I was wondering if you guys with tv screen could give me a little advice on what screens are really nice, i want the kind that go into the headunit space and flip out the screen, i need one witha radio tuner and i have a cd changer so cd player is not neccisary, i thought about putting a ps2 in the glovebox b/c then i would have a dvd player and ps2 right there... what do you guys think... i want to keep it under a grand for the screen thanks
Old 06-12-2003, 04:10 PM

Look for an Alpine CVA-1003, that would work really good for your application.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:49 PM

you can check out my setup...it's in the sig. I've got a Pioneer setup. Just a word of advice, from my personal experience, stay away from touch screen...for a few reasons:
1. though they say that the screen is scratch proof...um no it's not
2. if you have any stupid friends, we all have at least one, all it takes is for one hard push on the screen to mess up the motor, guess what? not covered by the warranty
Old 06-12-2003, 08:18 PM

I would totally recommend the Pioneer Hu setup. Its really awesome and has features galore. I personally have an Alpine set up, but it 2 separate hu for the screen and dvd player. The Pioneer one is just one. Its really cool.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:19 PM

Alpine has a new one out... the new IVA-900 I believe... everything in one... but $$...

and personally... I'd NEVER buy a pioneer HU... I've seen too many friend's unit's fail...
Old 06-12-2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Alpine has a new one out... the new IVA-900 I believe... everything in one... but $$...

and personally... I'd NEVER buy a pioneer HU... I've seen too many friend's unit's fail...
what's wrong with Pioneer? I've had mine for many years now and hadn't had any problems...knock on wood
Old 06-13-2003, 06:56 AM

Well... I've seen atleast a dozen fail for multiple reasons... all within a year or 2 of being new... most are ones that close friends had... I've NEVER had any issue with my Alpine's.. heck I've still got the first one I've ever bought in my beater car.. and it works flawlessly.. and that's a CDE-7831. I've had about 6 more since.

But as a small list of what we determined to fail:

Reciever poriton of the radio, no stations would come in at all, just static
CD Drive motor on 3 different units
CD LAzer motor on 2 other units
RCA Outputs on 2 units
Faceplate failures (Buttons not working, display's self-destructing, etc)

And these are only the one's I'm remembering off the top of my head...
Old 06-13-2003, 10:03 AM

are you referring to just regual HU or the DVD setups?
Old 06-13-2003, 11:00 PM

i have the pionner 7inch with the build in dvd/cd player and i loved it and i got my x box in the trunk
Old 06-13-2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by blackz151
i have the pionner 7inch with the build in dvd/cd player and i loved it and i got my x box in the trunk
cool beans. got any pics? I went the expensive way, I've got a DVD change in the trunk and a AVM-P9000CD up front (7in cd player)
Old 06-15-2003, 02:13 PM

Ive had a Pioneer 7200, 9300 and the 7300dvd. All have worked flawlessly. They are the best HU's we sell at work and rarely come back with problems.

This is the only pic Ive managed to save of the screen when I had it.
http://www.indi-x.com/albums/album19/55_G.jpg

And my old 9300...
http://www.indi-x.com/albums/album19/radio2.jpg

Cant go wrong there.

Check www.thezeb.com, they have Pioneer units at decent prices.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:35 PM

Thanks guys.. i am looking around and im just really not sure what the best way to go is, if i put in a ps2, that seems like alot of work, all i would use is the dvd player, i think it would be just added weight, so i think im gonna go dor an all in one dvd setup, and probably stay away from the touch screens because of the warranty issue, Alpine and poineer seem like great choices, i haven't ruled out clarion either, they all make great products.. i would rather stand under a thousand so i guess i'll just look around and stick with those 3 brands... any other help would be great, thanks again guys
Old 06-15-2003, 07:20 PM

ok guys what about these? and if buy them, all i have to do is put it in and everything plays and i dont need anything else like a surround sound adapter or something to make the audio play on the dvd... thanks

1.http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/carau....asp?sku=13045 (factory reconditioned)

2.panasonic

3.Panasonic number two

4.Pioneer

OK please give me some feedback about these or other affordable systems at about a 1000 dollars or so... thanks
Old 06-15-2003, 07:29 PM

I have seen the pioneer one up front and its awesome. It has some really bad@ss backgrounds. You don't need anything extra but with the features and capabilities it has it'll make you wanna add extra goodies..

Not too familiar with the other ones. It kinda depends how far you wanna go.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:44 PM

Panasonic stuff is ok. But if you do plan on going with Pioneer, I highly suggest that you spend the money and get the AVM-P9000R master unit. This will have the 5.1 processing and pretty much all that you will need for a multimedia system. Plus it'll have all the cool graphics (which can be found on my sig ). Oh BTW, I would not buy from onlinecarstereo, customer service there suck!!! Also goes for ftforce.com, they suck doo doo also. But that's off the topic

Quick Reply: Advice... Tv screen, flip out