Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

(96 Z28) Looking to replace stock speakers/head-unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 AM

Question (96 Z28) Looking to replace stock speakers/head-unit

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some Kenwood speakers and a head-unit to replace the stock Bose system in my 1996 Z28.

When I got my car used, the front speakers were shot so my father and I bought some cheap ones to hold their place, but the sound is god awful (I've heard you can't really mix speaker types with this delco radio). Ironically enough, the cheap front speakers sound the best out of all of the speakers in the car.

Anyways, I am looking to buy Kenwood equipment for my car and have it installed by Best Buy/Geek Squad. I have a few questions...

1. Can I replace all of the speakers in the car? I know the front ones can be replaced. I also know the rear-seat speakers are supposed to be bass-only, but I was thinking that if I replace them it'll give me better sound all-around.

2. Can I replace the speaker in the back? I'm not looking to replace the entire black...amplifier thing (not really sure what it's called) but just the speaker itself. The sound that comes out of that sounds like it's out of my dads 1969 Camaro. Will I even need/be able to use the rear speaker after replacing my head-unit and speakers with the ones below?

I'm looking to get this head-unit here.

And I'm looking to buy these speakers here.

Any advice or help or answers?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by TheGreenZ28; 08-18-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Re: (96 Z28) Looking to replace stock speakers/head-unit

I don't know enough to help directly, but I do know three things you should know:
1. There are lots of threads here with the information you're looking for. Try a search.
2. If your car has the Bose system, make sure to include that in your search. It changes everything.
3. Don't go to Geek Squad unless you have money coming out your ears and would like to remedy that. They're usually barely capable of the task and they charge 3x what's appropriate. Don't go to Duke's either, if you have those in your area.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Re: (96 Z28) Looking to replace stock speakers/head-unit

Old thread, I know.

There are 6 speakers in the coupe's. Doors and middles can be replaced with any 6.5" or 6.75" speakers. The rears are 4".

I know a friend that had 6x9's in the rear so anything from that size smaller should fit.

It'd be best to run new speaker wire if replacing the speakers. The stock wiring is funky.

That head unit will work just fine. The speakers have paper woofers, don't know if they're coated with anything. The door speakers [I]can[I] see some moisture so I'd rather go with poly or some other material that won't be affected by water. If they're coated on the back side then not an issue.