Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

1 fuse from double distribution block keeps exploding!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 05:36 PM

Angry 1 fuse from double distribution block keeps exploding!!!

Not exploding, but strong enough to pop the glass each time. I just got a new 2.4 farad capacitor, and the 60 amp fuse to my Lanzar VHC turns red hot and bursts immediatly after flick the power switch on (made from a battery disconnect). Why is that amp drawing so much power? My 400 watt Jensen (yes I know it's crap but it was practically free from Worst Buy) works fine. Both amps worked 100% great till I installed that cap. I'm pretty sure I wired everything right too.

I already wasted 4 fuses trying to find the problem, and those junks are $5.00 for a pack of 2!!!
Old 04-05-2003, 02:51 AM

A small diagram of how you have things wired might help but from your explanation I'd say that there is a direct short somewhere. Double check your connections and make sure your power wire on that side of the block isn't shorting to something. If everything is fine there could be a short inside the amp. IS the fuse in the amp still good?

BTW, did you get a chance to take a pic of your sub box in the car yet?
Old 04-05-2003, 08:22 AM

From your description I'd say you have something wired wrong. If the fuse pops that fast you've probably got a dead short someplace in your wrirng.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:46 AM

I agree that a wiring diragram or at least description will make things much easier.

Did you charge the cap before connecting it?

If the fuse that is blowing is between the cap and the battery, then your cap might be pulling tons on juice to charge itself and blow the fuse.

It sounds like if it's not the cap attempting to charge, that you have a dead short somewhere.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:59 PM

Say, what is this "dead short" you cats speak of? I didn't have enought time today to look for any shorts and it's dark now, but I'll check in the morning. I wired it different from the instructions cuz they just sucked. Says there should be a cap for each amp, which I am not about to do. I have...

positive from battery--- to cap--- to fused power distrubution block--- to 2 amps

ground to cap--- to ground block--- to 2 amps

The cap is charged correctly too.

x7x7, I'll try to take pics tomorrow when I pull check my wiring.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:34 AM

A dead short is when a positive and a negative meet. Just another way of referring to a short. Although a dead short is usually a more extensive one.

A basic short could be a single strand from the positive touching the negative wire or connector on the amp, and a dead short would be like the whole positive cable touching the ground.

You might want to make sure you don't have just a conductor or two that's arcing over.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:32 PM

Question

The thing is, my amp works fine without the damn cap. Are there websites that show exactly how to wire a cap?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:09 PM

there's some general info here: http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/capacitr.htm

make sure you have the polarity right. From your description it sounds like you have it wired right. How did you charge it?

If it's only one side of the block that's blowing then there must be a short after the block on that side.