CamaroZ28.Com Podcast Talk about the CamaroZ28.Com Podcast, our weekly online radio show.

Podcast #284 - Interview with the Fbodfather about the Camaro ZL1

Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Cool Podcast #284 - Interview with the Fbodfather about the Camaro ZL1

Podcast #284

RSS Feed

ITunes Music Store Link

Interview with the Fbodfather about the Camaro ZL1.

This episode features an interview with Scott "The Fbodfather" Settlemire on the all new 2012 Camaro ZL1. We ask Scott all the questions everyone is asking, like why ZL1? What not Z28? Scott gives us a lot of great info in this episode.

Voicemails and e-mails that we received this week will get moved to next weeks episode.

You can know hear our show on Stitcher Radio. Stitcher allows you to listen to your favorite shows directly from your iPhone, Android Phone, BlackBerry and Pre.
On-demand and on the go! Don%u2019t have Stitcher? Download it for free today at Stitcher.com.

You can now access our Message board through the Tapatalk app for the iPhone, and Android powered devices. http://bit.ly/dbipkw

Become a Facebook Fan of ours - http://bit.ly/9QMC3g.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter. Check us out at http://www.twitter.com/camaroz28com.

You can now listen to this podcast right from your cell phone at anytime. Just dial 650-644-1939 and our newest episode of our Podcast will be available for you to listen.

If you'd like to be in our Podcast by asking a question, or just making a comment, we have a phone number you can call now. It is (586)486-3182 or you can e-mail a question to both of us at webmasters@camaroz28.com. Also, if you enjoy the Podcast please fill out our survey at http://bit.ly/d3faWX
Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 PM

Re: Podcast #284 - Interview with the Fbodfather about the Camaro ZL1

Thanks for another great podcast! Its always fun listening to Scott. And thank you for having integrity. when you are asked not to post or talk about something until it is time you stick to it, not like some others... sometimes we get info and are asked not to talk about it yet, so we don't say a word. then when the news comes out, people will say "wow,guess what we just heard". we act like we didnt know. I am glad to see you guys have stayed true to yourselves! Keep up the good work!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Great interview this week. It's nice to hear the facts directly from the guy who knows. And it's great to have Chris and Jason here to bring it to us. If we're talking about a credible source of information, this is definitely the place to get it. I don't know if there is a rivalry between CZ28.com and Camaro5.com (and there probably is) but is it just me or is Camaro5 like the tabloids of the Camaro universe?? I'll admit that I frequent there just as much as here because it's nice to read what people have to say, even though sometimes ridiculous, it's nice to come here and get the true scoop. "Keep the Faith"
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Loving all of the support you guys are showing for smartphones. Thanks for introducing me to stitcher, going to download it now. This will be my first time listening to a cz28 podcast
Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Wow.. 0_o high end interview!

But

*hides*

You guys do, in a way, tell him what he wants to hear on ONLY one or two things out of the HUNDREDS of topics touched upon in this podcast. You DO speak the truth and this was a good interview, as always, and you have to respect your guest... but.

In regards to the comment "I haven't heard any Camaro owner say that they don't like the car." This can be seen as an enthusiast exposure bias. You guys are surrounded by enthusiasts, so who ever you ask will always produce the resounding "WE LOVE IT!" response.

I happen to be one of those guys who's on the fence about these 5th gens. Maybe skeptical. I DO love the feel of the car, and I would like to get one! Trust me I would! I could care less about the weight. But you guys know my gripes about the interior. It's not the layout as much as it is the material selection.. I am an honest person as well, so I had to find a tactful way of saying this so I won't be permabanned. (funny? maybe?) And if I wasn't interested, would I still listen? This is probably going to ruffle some feathers and I do not mean to offend anyone.

please don't ban me..

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 02-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
Wow.. 0_o high end interview!

But

You guys do, in a way, tell him what he wants to hear on ONLY one or two things out of the HUNDREDS of topics touched upon in this podcast. You DO speak the truth and this was a good interview, as always, and you have to respect your guest... but.

In regards to the comment "I haven't heard any Camaro owner say that they don't like the car." This can be seen as an enthusiast exposure bias. You guys are surrounded by enthusiasts, so who ever you ask will always produce the resounding "WE LOVE IT!" response.

I happen to be one of those guys who's on the fence about these 5th gens. Maybe skeptical. I DO love the feel of the car, and I would like to get one! Trust me I would! I could care less about the weight. But you guys know my gripes about the interior. It's not the layout as much as it is the material selection.. I am an honest person as well, so I had to find a tactful way of saying this so I won't be permabanned. (funny? maybe?) And if I wasn't interested, would I still listen? This is probably going to ruffle some feathers and I do not mean to offend anyone.

please don't ban me..
I do somewhat agree with you. I do not own a 5th gen, hopefully in the future I will. I've driven them quite a few times and I will say that, even though I am biased towards 3rd Gens, I will take and keep my 1992 over a 2010/11. It's really all in your preference of course. But as far as the materials used, I'm assuming you mean the interior. As a loyal GM consumer, we all know how somewhat "cheap" the interiors of their cars can feel: via Cavalier, Cobalt, Impala and even the Corvette. I must say they are finally coming into their own on interior design with cars like the Malibu and Cruz. And you can see the improvements in the the ZL1 and hopefully those nicer materials used will translate into the SS and LT/LS models in the future. I can't say they're not taking the right approach. As an engineer myself, I know how much time and research/testing it takes to really put out a great product, and I think we all realize that. But I must say that the strides are in the right direction and I'm still impressed with every new model they bring out and I still find that they put one of the best VALUES in a vehicle out there.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 PM

I'm taking credit for the backup camera mirror....I'll have to dig out my 2009 email to Fitz

Also, in Chicago I asked if we'd have a ZL1 ride & drive in Oshawa... The answer was "no". But I HAD to ask!

And KUDO's to C&J for another GREAT Podcast on the Best and Oldest TRUE Non-Profit Enthusiasts Forum!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 25th92rs
I do somewhat agree with you. I do not own a 5th gen, hopefully in the future I will. I've driven them quite a few times and I will say that, even though I am biased towards 3rd Gens, I will take and keep my 1992 over a 2010/11. It's really all in your preference of course. But as far as the materials used, I'm assuming you mean the interior. As a loyal GM consumer, we all know how somewhat "cheap" the interiors of their cars can feel: via Cavalier, Cobalt, Impala and even the Corvette. I must say they are finally coming into their own on interior design with cars like the Malibu and Cruz. And you can see the improvements in the the ZL1 and hopefully those nicer materials used will translate into the SS and LT/LS models in the future. I can't say they're not taking the right approach. As an engineer myself, I know how much time and research/testing it takes to really put out a great product, and I think we all realize that. But I must say that the strides are in the right direction and I'm still impressed with every new model they bring out and I still find that they put one of the best VALUES in a vehicle out there.
Agreed. And Interior materials. And a decent doesn't happen overnight, but the ascent should be a slight bit shorter (well underway.) I understand it's not going to happen over night. I'm just waiting to see the ZL1 in person (if I ever get to.)

And I've said since before the concept was even out; I'm going to wait a couple years before I get one so they can works some kinks out. And there are a couple things I don't agree with.. If I'm paying $30k + for a vehicle, the one part I spend the majority of my time looking at should be appealing to me and should meet my approval (inside.)

I'm not biased and I like to see new ideas and new designs. I'm just married to my 4th gen. I'm in WAY more than I can ever get back from it.

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 02-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM

The ZL 1 is great news and of course like I have stated before there is a Camaro for everyone's liking and price range. My concern will be the new standards that Scott touched on during the podcast. If these regulations are that strict. This may be the time to get your SS or ZL 1. I am not implying that there may be some technology in the future that may achieve that MPG rating, However Government mandates are just that. If you don't pay by the rules you get into trouble. I understand the current state of affairs and the dependence on Oil and all that. Will tomorrows Camaro be as strong or better than we have today. GM has listen to a great many people and came back with a better Camaro. I would hate to see the bar dropped like what happen in the mid 1970's. The market is here and GM has a strong run with the 5th Gen. Camaro. Hopefully they can continue on that course with future generations of the camaro.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by edklee
The ZL 1 is great news and of course like I have stated before there is a Camaro for everyone's liking and price range. My concern will be the new standards that Scott touched on during the podcast. If these regulations are that strict. This may be the time to get your SS or ZL 1. I am not implying that there may be some technology in the future that may achieve that MPG rating, However Government mandates are just that. If you don't pay by the rules you get into trouble. I understand the current state of affairs and the dependence on Oil and all that. Will tomorrows Camaro be as strong or better than we have today. GM has listen to a great many people and came back with a better Camaro. I would hate to see the bar dropped like what happen in the mid 1970's. The market is here and GM has a strong run with the 5th Gen. Camaro. Hopefully they can continue on that course with future generations of the camaro.
Keep in mind that there is a 5.5 liter engine being tested currently in race series like the ALMS in the GT2 Corvettes and they're pumping out 450HP, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe this is the small block of the future and will help with CAFE regulations. And also remember that CAFE regulations are numbers that need to be met collectively. So the mile-per-gallon numbers you hear is a regulation that consists of the AVERAGE mile-per-gallon across the entire product line. So, your compact cars can take up a majority of that if they're rockin out 50-60mpg or even the Volt at 55+ (some have said the Volt is over 100mpg) These regulations can help bring out the smaller cars getting supurb mileage numbers and then enable our beloved muscle cars to keep pounding out HP without too much risk on their performance.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:45 PM

Thumbs up Re: Podcast #284 - Interview with the Fbodfather about the Camaro ZL1

Keep in mind that there is a 5.5 liter engine being tested currently in race series like the ALMS in the GT2 Corvettes and they're pumping out 450HP, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe this is the small block of the future and will help with CAFE regulations. And also remember that CAFE regulations are numbers that need to be met collectively. So the mile-per-gallon numbers you hear is a regulation that consists of the AVERAGE mile-per-gallon across the entire product line. So, your compact cars can take up a majority of that if they're rockin out 50-60mpg or even the Volt at 55+ (some have said the Volt is over 100mpg) These regulations can help bring out the smaller cars getting supurb mileage numbers and then enable our beloved muscle cars to keep pounding out HP without too much risk on their performance.

That makes me feel better, I didn't realize that that is how they determined the CAFE regulations. Thanks 25th92rs for the Data and taking the time to explain this.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM

Man, I hope they don't kill the muscle car with this stuff.. If they resort to a "Hybrid" Camaro, Mustang and Challenger, we mind as well hang up the wrenches and the *********.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Great interview this week...
Absolutely a great podcast. It was over way too soon.

I don't know if there is a rivalry between CZ28.com and Camaro5.com (and there probably is) but is it just me or is Camaro5 like the tabloids of the Camaro universe??
There seems to be a different attitude regarding Camaro5 (and Camaro5 folks). LuvSSn and I noticed it at Carlisle, last year. Even if (when) I can swing a 5th-gen, I'll never loose my CZ28 soul.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by mudbone
There seems to be a different attitude regarding Camaro5 (and Camaro5 folks). LuvSSn and I noticed it at Carlisle, last year. Even if (when) I can swing a 5th-gen, I'll never loose my CZ28 soul.
I don't know if you mean it in this sense, but I know of a few 5th Gen owners that can't see outside past the 5th gens and almost won't acknowledge anything but.

Yes, the new Camaro's are great cars and I will own one eventually and be part of that owners club, but I love my 3rd gen along with the 1st, 2nd & 4th and I'll never lose that respect and brotherhood (or sisterhood for you female owners out there) for the entire family of Camaro's.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 AM

I don't know if you mean it in this sense, but I know of a few 5th Gen owners that can't see outside past the 5th gens and almost won't acknowledge anything but.
That is exactly what I meant. I don't really see that sentiment here on CZ28 and it is definitely not prevalent in the Virginia Camaro Club (where heritage is celebrated).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Podcast #284 - Interview with the Fbodfather about the Camaro ZL1