Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Would you take Chevelle as a substitite for Camaro?

Old 12-08-2002, 11:20 PM

If there is no new Camaro, then I will not buy another new GM. I'm already assuming there will be no new one, and I can save my pennies for after the GA is paid off...I will go TTA hunting and put one next to my 30th, and drive the GA til the wheels fall off...which should be a long time with the way I drive and take care of it!
Old 12-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Banned

Re: Would you take Chevelle as a substitite for Camaro?

Originally posted by Z284ever
If Chevy gets it's own version of GTO (Chevelle SS?), would you be happy with that instead of a new Camaro?
The GTO name is more modern and hip. "Chevelle" is great for 1960's nostalgia, but at its root the word is patronizing to women.

Chev.....

Short for Chevrolet

....elle

French for "her"

Did they have the meaning " Her Chevrolet in mind when they came up with the name? ("Chevelles for housewives, Impalas for their husbands?" Wow, they got that one wrong!)

It wouldn't mean that to me because I remember primer grey 1970's coupes with lots of bondo, driven by high schoolers with acne. I'm too young to remember pristine original examples of the beautiful '68-72 Chevelle. To me the name is about either a restored 396SS or an old beater - not an everydayl car on the street.

A Chevelle can't replace the Camaro, its just too late for this name.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:12 AM

Chevelle wont hit the youth market other than kids that already like the Camaro (ie me).

Oh well what does it matter, Im saving my pennies for my regular cab Silverado SS
Old 12-09-2002, 07:32 AM

Re: Re: Would you take Chevelle as a substitite for Camaro?

Originally posted by redzed
The GTO name is more modern and hip. "Chevelle" is great for 1960's nostalgia, but at its root the word is patronizing to women.

Chev.....

Short for Chevrolet

....elle

French for "her"

Did they have the meaning " Her Chevrolet in mind when they came up with the name? ("Chevelles for housewives, Impalas for their husbands?" Wow, they got that one wrong!)

It wouldn't mean that to me because I remember primer grey 1970's coupes with lots of bondo, driven by high schoolers with acne. I'm too young to remember pristine original examples of the beautiful '68-72 Chevelle. To me the name is about either a restored 396SS or an old beater - not an everydayl car on the street.

A Chevelle can't replace the Camaro, its just too late for this name.

Of course, GTO came out before Chevelle... so I guess that makes it more modern and 'hip'

Since 'elle' is a bad suffix, I guess 'ette' make the Corvette a woman's car too, right

Man, some of the stuff you come up with blows my mind.

Anyway, back to topic... I want a new Camaro, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't even look at a new Chevelle...
Old 12-09-2002, 12:57 PM

Where the heck did that B.S. come from? I thought Chevelle was derived from the name of a speedy animal (Gazelle)? But what do I know.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Would you take Chevelle as a substitite for Camaro?

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Of course, GTO came out before Chevelle... so I guess that makes it more modern and 'hip'
I'm gonna have to agree with the hipness on that one. Think about it, regardless of the age of the name, GTO sounds a whole lot more modern than Chevelle. Modern car names include a combination of letters and numbers or just letters like "GSX", "TSI" and "CLK". GTO fits right in there.

Chevelle is not a bad name, but it wont have the the upfront appeal of a sporty car's name that GTO will.

BTW, Doesnt GTO stand for Gran Turismo Obligata (lol, i forget the word, somethin Italian) ?
Old 12-09-2002, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by jrp4uc
Unless the rumored Monaro-based Chevelle will come in considerably cheaper (or you just don't like Pontiacs)
(Generally) whenever there are Chevy and Pontiac sister cars made together, the Chevy is considerably cheaper and sells more units.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:58 PM
PGR

Maybe the 5th gen will not be called a Camaro or Firebird. GM dropped the Blazer and Jimmy" names for Tahoe and Yukon. Sales are probably better as a result.

Camaro and Firebird names only have a good conotation for enthusiasts. The majority of the buying public have a bad image of thes cars (mostly undeserved).

Personnally, I like the name Tahoe better than Blazer. Maybe Chevy can come up with a better name for the 5th gen. Considering it will be a totally new design, maybe it deserves it.