Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Would you rather wait 5 or 10 more years for a new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 02:28 PM

Would you rather wait 5 or 10 more years for a new Camaro?

It seems that a lot of people want a new Camaro right now. They want to see the concept and put into production by 2005. But seeing as how that is nearly impossible, lets get on with the practical...

Would you rather see a new Camaro in 5 years? If so, the Camaro would have to be built off of an existing chassis, like the one the solstice is based off of or the sigma. In other words, it wouldn't have its OWN chassis that it always shared with the Firebird. Basicly we would just have the Camaro name on a car that is related to many other cars in GMs line-up...

Or would you rather wait 10 years for a new Camaro? This would allow time for Lutz and Co. to revamp other divisions to where they feel they should be. They would be able to take time in conceptoulizing the new Camaro, as it would be of higher priority by this time. I may be going out on a weak limb, but they may also be able to resurrect the F-body altogether. Who knows what kind of new strategies GM will have for building cars in a decade, but it will probably be better than their current one.

Personally, I think its a good thing that their saying they don't have any current plans for a new Camaro. I don't want a half-*ssed car spliced together from this chassis, that parts bin, then badged as a Camaro. GM has way too much else going on to have to rush a new Camaro into production. We should stop b*ching about how we got screwed out of the Camaro, its done, we can't change that, and it won't rush GM into building a new one.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:31 PM

I have no problem...by then my car will be paid off
Old 01-23-2003, 02:40 PM

That would be great, but I just dont see the Camaro ever having its own chassis again. It seems that from now on GM is going with flexible chassis that can be used on many cars. Which saves them more money. But I hope im wrong.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:49 PM

I serouisly doubt the Camaro will ever have it's own chassis again. It will be shared (maybe slightly modified) with another car.

IMO, there is no need for it to have it's own either.
Name me one beenfit to doing so.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:13 PM

Actually I don't really have the cash now anyway. In four years (2007) my youngest will be in college (hopefully on an athletic scholarship), my oldest will be finished with law school, and my 2002 Tahoe will be just about paid off!

I think I can wait that long.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:33 PM

Re: Would you rather wait 5 or 10 more years for a new Camaro?

Originally posted by Meccadeth

Would you rather see a new Camaro in 5 years? If so, the Camaro would have to be built off of an existing chassis, like the one the solstice is based off of or the sigma. In other words, it wouldn't have its OWN chassis that it always shared with the Firebird. Basicly we would just have the Camaro name on a car that is related to many other cars in GMs line-up...

I don't know what all this halabalou about Camaro needing to have it's OWN chassis is about. As if Camaro had not borrowed liberally from the General's parts bin it's whole life.

The first gen shared it's architecture with the '68 and up X-body. The 2nd gen was just a revision of the same architecture. 3rd gen was pretty new...but there is no denying it's rear suspension and sub-structure look suspiciously like the H-car (Vega, Monza, etc.).
The 4th gen evolved from the 3rd gen.

The last F-body had it's own, unique architecture alright.....BIG DEAL!! It was an outdated dinasour...nothing to brag about there.

I certainly want to see the next Camaro done right, (IN FACT, I DEMAND IT!), but I'd rather see Camaro "borrow" components from Sigma and Y-car (Corvette) than Nova and Vega .

Besides...what ever they build ithe Camaro on, will surely have enough revisions IMO, to justify calling it an F-body. At least as much or more so than the previous gens.

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-23-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:25 PM

Re: Re: Would you rather wait 5 or 10 more years for a new Camaro?

Originally posted by Z284ever
I don't know what all this halabalou about Camaro needing to have it's OWN chassis is about. As if Camaro had not borrowed liberally from the General's parts bin it's whole life.

The first gen shared it's architecture with the '68 and up X-body. The 2nd gen was just a revision of the same architecture. 3rd gen was pretty new...but there is no denying it's rear suspension and sub-structure look suspiciously like the H-car (Vega, Monza, etc.).
The 4th gen evolved from the 3rd gen.

The last F-body had it's own, unique architecture alright.....BIG DEAL!! It was an outdated dinasour...nothing to brag about there.

I certainly want to see the next Camaro done right, (IN FACT, I DEMAND IT!), but I'd rather see Camaro "borrow" components from Sigma and Y-car (Corvette) than Nova and Vega .

Besides...what ever they build ithe Camaro on, will surely have enough revisions IMO, to justify calling it an F-body. At least as much or more so than the previous gens.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:53 PM

I can wait 3 years more, but Gm needs to trow hints like "we are makin a Camaro" or someting like that
also I belive that the 5th gen doesn't need his own chassis
Old 01-24-2003, 02:33 AM

Re: Would you rather wait 5 or 10 more years for a new Camaro?

Originally posted by Meccadeth
GM has way too much else going on to have to rush a new Camaro into production. We should stop b*ching about how we got screwed out of the Camaro, its done, we can't change that, and it won't rush GM into building a new one.
I agree that they should not rush the Camaro. If it doesn't have it's own platform, that's alright. As long as the platform isn't the solstice platform!