Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Would a front license-plate destroy the looks of the Solstice?- pic inside!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:47 PM

Would a front license-plate destroy the looks of the Solstice?- pic inside!

Many states (like California) enforce a front license plate law and most manufacturers now build cars with that in mind. Unlike the 93-97 4th gen F-body which had a horrid front license plate adapter most new cars have a front license plate integrated into their design (like it or not).

Check out this front pic of the Solstice prototype testing and think how a front license plate would look on it- http://www.autoweek.com/images_conte...1Solstice3.jpg

Last edited by johnsocal; 08-28-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:54 PM

heh, that would suck, here comes another adapter.....mine is almost falling off.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:55 PM

License Plate

Yeah, most likely. I see no lines that could intergrate the license plate. But, you never know.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:53 AM

Lightbulb

For what it's worth, I haven't seen a front license plate 'fit' into a car's look since auto makers stopped building cars with a true front bumper. On the Solstice concept shown a front license plate will look particularly bad; it seems the design folks never take this into account, even though more times than not they're required.

Oh well...
Old 08-29-2003, 05:23 AM

Front license plates =

I am SO glad Michigan is not one of those wacky front-plate- required states...
Old 08-29-2003, 07:19 AM

Florida Resident here!!! Oh Yeah!! No front plate....or income tax either
Old 08-29-2003, 07:21 AM

Here in Ohio, front plates are required... I never put one on any of my Camaros, or my Corvette when I had them, though, because I think they look awful.

As for the Solstice, ya, good point... It almost looks like it would have to have a bracket over part of the grille.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
As for the Solstice, ya, good point... It almost looks like it would have to have a bracket over part of the grille.
Perhaps the grille is like on our Camaros- purely decoration. Not that that would make it look any less awful, but at least it wouldn't hinder cooling.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:52 AM

You don't need front liscense plates here in louisiana!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:25 AM

Front plates look bad on any car (or truck)

Haven't had a plate on either of my Camaros in IL for 2 years now and haven't even gotten a initial or second glance from the cops.

Maybe their too bury keeping an eye on the 'rice boys' and 2 lame 2 slow' crowd
Old 08-29-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by dream '94 Z28
Haven't had a plate on either of my Camaros in IL for 2 years now and haven't even gotten a initial or second glance from the cops.
For states that require it (such as mine, Ohio), this isn't something cops are looking for as reason to pull someone over or for a sole reason for citation. If you are pulled over for speeding though, for example, and give the officer attitude you are leaving yourself open for one more thing for him to write you up on.

Now, however, if your car is parked out on a public street and you have no front license plate (and cops with decidedly nothing better to do like mine in Fairfield), perhaps they will go around and leave a ticket on your car. I was lucky enough to get this $75 blessing. Yes, front license plates suck.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:26 AM

Even though front plates are required here in California I refuse to put them on my car since it would make it look like crap.

The front of the Solstice is beautiful and a front license plate would destroy its looks more then any car thats currently on the road.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:15 AM

Yes, I'm here in commiefornia. Never had a front plate on ANY of my cars.

Only times I got tickets were (1) At a traffic stop for about 75 on the twisty part of Sunset Blvd (my younger, stupider days) and (2) At LAX long-term parking.

When you're ordering your car, have them WRITE that you WILL NOT accept the car if they drill the front bumper for the plate frame. And if they do, don't take the car and get your deposit back. I've done it.

Knock wood, cross fingers . . . hope it doesn't get enforced more often.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:26 PM

I'm sure you'll agree the '04 Chrysler Sebrings with the front liscence plate look far worse than anything else out there.

The Chrysler has this massive front grille, and the liscence plate seemingly stuck almost smack in the middle of it.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:30 PM

Seems like it would be placed off-center between the grille and foglight on either side. Not pretty though.

Quick Reply: Would a front license-plate destroy the looks of the Solstice?- pic inside!