Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Will 5th gen be a dissappointment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 03:05 PM

z284ever, who told you or what has made you think GM is cutting corners on a 5th Gen Camaro?? As far as I know, an I know a bit more than most, there is no info to support this. There is no info on any Camaro development at all. I guess they are cutting some serious corners because the car is not even being made!

The dissapointment for me is driving by the Chevy dealer and not seeing a new Camaro in the showroom!

Like with any car "IF" GM brings back a 5th Gen Camaro it will not satisfy everyone, there will be gripes about everything from wheel selection to feel of door handles, but to me IF it comes back I'll just be so glad it did that if it stays true to its roots will be enough for me.

Reguardless of what anyone feels, likes or dislikes about the current F-body the car had some gripes and there is lots of room for improvement. Many of those improvements may distance the car from a hard core performer that it is now to a more friendly car like the Mustang. That may dissapoint some but not me because to just have the car will be enough. IF it were to return it would be one of the greatest return stories in all of American auto history!
Old 04-17-2003, 03:10 PM

things that would **** me off:

1) ancient rear suspension like the 4th gen...IRS or nothin IMO

2) if they dont shave at least 8" off of the over all length by hacking off those rediculous overhangs

3) high curb weight; methinks a goal of 3200 ish is reasonable

4) keep the plastic! hail damage sucks
Old 04-17-2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
You have a good point if Chevrolet intends Camaro to be a volume car again...

With the likelihood of Camaro being piggybacked with several other cars on a shared platform, I am hoping we do NOT get a "Chevrolet Mustang", so to speak.

Make a realistic business case for a not-so-high volume affordable performance coupe, and the forumla still works.

Let the upcoming Monte Carlo SS be the coupe in the Chevy lineup that goes after more volume.

I'm not suggesting the make Camaro into a niche car... but I really don't want it to be watered down to try to be everything to everyone.
Agreed! Let the Monte Carlo be the car for the masses. The main attraction to Camaros, at least in my eyes, has always been performance. Why go against what Camaro has stood for during its 35 previous years of existence?

Getting back to the original question, my biggest fear for the 5th gen would be if it compromised itself in order to appeal to everyone. F-bodies in general have never been a car for everyone, and I like that myself. Soft engines and mini-van seats don't belong in a Camaro. A watered down and underpowered 5th gen would be enough to keep me up at night. Thankfully, I don't think the General will do that to us.

-Mike
Old 04-17-2003, 04:36 PM

What will dissapoint me? Lack of a cheap V8...pure and simple. This was the formula for success for almost every other generation, and sorely lacking on the 4th gens. A base coupe with a V8 is where its at, for so many. I didn't need a Z, but I had to have an 8...so I had to pay for it along with all the other Z goodies I don't necessarily want/need.

My dream 5th gen lineup (which I see as being realistic) would be this...

1) Base/RS coupe - 3500 V6, 200hp, or maybe the upcoming 230hp 3900? RS as an apperance package. OPTIONAL "small" LS1...whether it be smaller in horsepower only, or in horses and size...should be around 300hp flat

2) Z28...you HAVE TO HAVE a Z28...there is no question about it. I'd say 340hp from a 5.7 LS1 would be perfect...

3) SS with 6.0 litre or LS6, and the sky is the limit...

I would buy an RS with the small LS1, if I had the choice. Price it at $25,000 with t-tops in today's dollars, bring it out in '06-'07 (so the Grand Am is paid for, and is still a good daily driver), and where do I sign up?

BTW, I'd love to petition for an IROC package on the Z, but I know I'm not that lucky But think about how cool an IROC package would be...take the SS suspension/wheels and throw it on a Z, and call it an IROC....mmmm....
Old 04-17-2003, 06:02 PM

That 302 has my name written all over it, big bore small stroke = fun. I do think the RS needs a v8, it's always had the option until fourth gens. My first car was a thirdgen rs with a v8.. Was it fast? No...did it have a lot of torque? yep, good gas... yep.. insurrance rates I could afford, best first car ever? No doubt... I plan on making a decent living but lets face it, most of my money is gonna go to my family and things we need. I'm not going to be able to spend $30,000 on a car thats just insane. So I'm all for a mild aluminum small block option that doesnt get all the goodies a z28 will get. (better wheels, suspension, performance oriented rear end gearing etc.) I just need a small block and a stick. No cup holders please
Old 04-17-2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by 99SilverSS
z284ever, who told you or what has made you think GM is cutting corners on a 5th Gen Camaro?? As far as I know, an I know a bit more than most, there is no info to support this. There is no info on any Camaro development at all.
I have my sources too.....and that's the impression I get. If you have contradicting info...I'd like to compare notes.

There are certain parameters that GM realises that the Camaro must conform to....that is RWD and V8. Everything else sounds like it may be a bean counters dream.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Jason E
What will dissapoint me? Lack of a cheap V8...pure and simple. This was the formula for success for almost every other generation, and sorely lacking on the 4th gens. A base coupe with a V8 is where its at, for so many. I didn't need a Z, but I had to have an 8...so I had to pay for it along with all the other Z goodies I don't necessarily want/need.

My dream 5th gen lineup (which I see as being realistic) would be this...

1) Base/RS coupe - 3500 V6, 200hp, or maybe the upcoming 230hp 3900? RS as an apperance package. OPTIONAL "small" LS1...whether it be smaller in horsepower only, or in horses and size...should be around 300hp flat

2) Z28...you HAVE TO HAVE a Z28...there is no question about it. I'd say 340hp from a 5.7 LS1 would be perfect...

3) SS with 6.0 litre or LS6, and the sky is the limit...

I would buy an RS with the small LS1, if I had the choice. Price it at $25,000 with t-tops in today's dollars, bring it out in '06-'07 (so the Grand Am is paid for, and is still a good daily driver), and where do I sign up?

BTW, I'd love to petition for an IROC package on the Z, but I know I'm not that lucky But think about how cool an IROC package would be...take the SS suspension/wheels and throw it on a Z, and call it an IROC....mmmm....
Old 04-17-2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by formula79
1) I think you will see parts that are cost consicious...but get the mission done which is being better than Mustang. It doesn't need a suspension that will let it hang on a skidpad with with a Vette.

Well as far as Mustang goes....there are alot of rumors flying around.

The showcar had it's suspension lifted directly off the DEW98.
The production car however,(those with IRS), is confirmed to have the new Control Blade rear Suspension. This will be a very slick multi-link piece. It will have great dynamics, light weight, compact and be cost effective. It should certainly give GM something to shoot for.

What will be up front is abit murkier. I've heard McPherson struts...or perhaps something more sophisticated from DEW.

At any rate....Mustang will not be the handling slouch it previously was. Let's hope Camaro surpasses it.

As far as Vette goes....RP himself has said that Camaro should have performance approaching Vette.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever

As far as Vette goes....RP himself has said that Camaro should have performance approaching Vette.
Let's hope the price doesn't approach Corvette.

The biggest disppointment to me would be being priced out of the 5th gen. market.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by WERM

The biggest disppointment to me would be being priced out of the 5th gen. market.

Or.....the worst scenario possible.........chintzy car; $38K price tag.

Sound familiar.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Banned

Re: 5th gen info

Originally posted by 5thGen
I'm a new member here, a little info about me. I am a designer with my own company in Chicago, affiliated with a coachbuilder in Florida. I am working on a design proposal for a 5th Gen Camaro. Here are a couple of details,

based off a modified CTS platform utilizing IRS.
LS1 powered, RWD.
roughly 3000 lbs, and 340 hp (in SS trim)
6 speed manual

Base model with 3800 series V6, and 230hp

Z28/RS Model optional engine de-stroked LS1 to 302 cubes, making 300 hp

I am trying to get some renderings put into a good format, when I have something of a good quality and size, I'll post it all in a new topic.

Oh yeah, I was proposing the interior size to be roughly the same size as a BMW 3 Series coupe, and retro styling with cues from 67-69 models.

I just wanted to post a few messages here to get a feel of the board before I start posting pics.
1. The Sigma platform has one key deficiency - the cowl is far too high for a 2+2 coupe, far higher than the X-car Nova on which the original Camaro was based. Reengineering the firewall would be an expensive operation, and failure to do so would turn the interior of a low roofed F5 into an oppressive bunker.

2. The CTS is also too heavy to use as a base for the Camaro. The base car is 3600lbs, and the CTSv actually gained 250lbs with the addition of the LS6. On might have expected a weight decrease with the simple, lightweight OHV V8. However, the drivetrain components in the original CTS were underbuilt for a high powered application, thus the weight building 'band aid' modifications. It would be expensive to shave 500lbs from the Sigma, and it might not be possible.

3. Destroking the LS-1 would be another pointless and expensive operation. To get the "magical" 302 displacement you'd have to design shorter rods than even the 4.8 liter V8. Creating another corporate engine variation is undesirable in the modern age of emmision certification, especially a smaller displacement V8 for sentiments reasons. If you want 300hp, you might as well just throw in the 5.3 liter from the Trailblazer EXT/SSR and turn the induction and exhast.

In the end, your Sigma platform Z28 would be heavier, less powerful and far slower than the upcoming GTO. The interior would be smaller, but there again that fits your goal of matching the slightly cramped accomodations of the three series.

With the probable arrival of a CTS coupe, your theory will certainly be applied, if in a different form. That car won't be 3000lbs, and it obviously won't be a Camaro either.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:35 PM

Re: Re: 5th gen info

Originally posted by redzed

3. Destroking the LS-1 would be another pointless and expensive operation. To get the "magical" 302 displacement you'd have to design shorter rods than even the 4.8 liter V8. Creating another corporate engine variation is undesirable in the modern age of emmision certification, especially a smaller displacement V8 for sentiments reasons. If you want 300hp, you might as well just throw in the 5.3 liter from the Trailblazer EXT/SSR and turn the induction and exhast.

Here is another point which has been nawing at me. It would be hard to find a bigger Z/28 fan than me. But the thought of spending money to convert a 6.0 liter engine into a 5.0 liter engine seems pointless and counterproductive. I'd take the 6.0!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:52 PM

Or.....the worst scenario possible.........chintzy car; $38K price tag.

Sound familiar.
Not really...
Old 04-17-2003, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: 5th gen info

Here is another point which has been nawing at me. It would be hard to find a bigger Z/28 fan than me. But the thought of spending money to convert a 6.0 liter engine into a 5.0 liter engine seems pointless and counterproductive. I'd take the 6.0!
Wasn't the Z28 originally a limited production car like the Bullit was? Why should it be the volume performance model then if we are basing this on the first gen (which IMO is dumb because the first gen was only 3 years).? I am just raising points...I like the Z28 as much as anyone. Supposedly all Mustang's but the Cobra will have a solid axle.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:55 PM

IMO, if there are still the same clueless people in there as the 4th Gen by then doing the decision making, managing, designing, advertising, and work, we might get the same results, unless they get some people in there that actually know how to handle the car and listen to the enthusiasts then act on it. The cars history has to be taken into consideration in every aspect of the work being done. Look at the 1st 3 Gens and see the things that made them a success.

The car needs to be incredibly cool and desirable again. Something that makes people look or say wow while still looking like a Camaro and having some obvious cues. It needs to look different from everything else on the road and not be plain either. Designations need to be handled correctly again. The Z28 needs to be returned to where it was by either: 1. Being the top model again, or 2. Taking the place of the 1LE by being a limited car that is better performing than the SS but strictly an enthusiast car, almost no compromises. There should be some kind of mid-level V8, the RS will do fine there. Prices need to be reasonable. There needs to be no stupid technical designs made, such as an engine in the dash, less interior room, a dash that is too high and generic/boring, not seeing the hood, a windshield that is too raked, your passenger knowing where your converter is, and dimensions that need to be reduced. (not nesissarily width, that could be increased ) The exterior needs to be flashy and something almost no1 could say is not nice. No more designs that look like it came from space, (or from Chrysler) panel gaps, plastic looking body, nasty looking rims, complete roundness, or over the top or controversial styling. The car needs options, such as more choice for looks and engine/handling levels. It also needs strong parts stock, strong engine, rear, transmission, and chassis. And lets leave overpriced options or help from SLP for some1 else or another car.

Last edited by IZ28; 04-18-2003 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Will 5th gen be a dissappointment?