Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why I hate the new Mustang....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 12:33 PM

I cannot beleve somebody had something fairly negative about Ford!

I just think the new mustang is about the silliest thing I have ever seen.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:01 PM

Is there one new styling directing in the Mustang? I mean in the F4 it was the more roucded look...in the C5 it was the same (evolution to rounded look) plus the wider rear track. The Mustang picks and grabs at the past with no forward direction...IMO that is a VERY bad thing.

It didn't evolve it regressed...
Old 02-08-2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by formula79
Is there one new styling directing in the Mustang? I mean in the F4 it was the more roucded look...in the C5 it was the same (evolution to rounded look) plus the wider rear track.
Yeah, but a lot of people didn't like the 4th gen. You can only have the Camaro or Mustang styling evolve so much until the car doesn't look like a Camaro or Mustang anymore.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:36 PM

It didn't evolve it regressed...
Oh bologna. The look might be "retro", and borrow "styling cues" from old Mustangs, but everything else in the car is new, upgraded, and/or improved.

The fact that you don't care for it is a given, and I have no issues with that, as has been stated, looks are subjective.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:02 PM

Just look at these 2 pictures. I found the closest mustang to the current concept and that is the late 60's Shelby's. Can you honestly tell me that it is an exact copy? Yes, there's obvious cues but there are certain things that set the new mustang apart from the old.

Late 60's Shelby (side shot)
http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/1.../Full%20Vw.jpg

2005 Concept (side shot)
http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtcon...pConcept01.jpg

Late 60's Shelby (Left side front profile)
http://popularmechanics.com/automoti.../tb_9806AUCCAA

2005 Concept (same side fron profile)
http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtcon...pConcept06.jpg

Exact copy huh? I can post more pictures from various angles if you guys would like. The most basic shapes are there, but the 2005 is distinctly modern in every other way.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:17 PM

2005 (Back shot)

http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtcon...pConcept02.jpg

67 Shelby (back shot)
http://popularmechanics.com/automoti.../tb_9806AUCCAD

2005 (front shot)
http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtcon...pConcept15.jpg

67 Shelby (front shot)
http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/1...t/Gt500_7b.jpg

Carbon copy? The most basic similarties doesn't make one a carbon copy.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:28 PM

I don't think it matters... the people who don't like it wouldn't have no matter what it looked like.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:34 PM

I'm just going to come out and say it. THE MUSTANG LOOKS MODERN.

Just like the 911 analogy....a brand new 911 has a resemblance to '63 model. But park it next to any car...and there is no doubt that it is a completely modern car.
Agreed.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:05 PM

Rice-eating-5.0/proud pony.

("MOST")These guys are pissed that the F-body isnt being produced anymore.Anyone with a sound mind will know that the 05 MUSTANG is modern esspecially with the links that were posted.Its kinda like saying I got a bigger d!ick then you do,Does it matter NO,Will some jackass want to prove it?YES.Just because he has an opinion.

One thing is certain the 2005 Mustang will sell,And sell it will.This thread isnt going to change 200+,000 peoples minds.So I think this thread is considered closed.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:51 AM

I don't know that it's so much that they are peeved over losing F-bods as it is that we just have different POVs. Some - yes - unfortunately, but far from everyone IMO.

I don't mind discussing how people view the car differently, but I won't argue about it. It purely subjective, and there is no way to prove one is right and the other is wrong.

I will say this much, I have drawn some conclusions about a few posters over this topic lately, that relate strongly with what Bob Cosby said about "FWIW...it must suck to hate an automobile." I think some (not many, but some) who come here are just very short-sighted about what others may want in a ponycar, and what a "ponycar" really is for that matter. It is foolish to knock on a car that is doing so well and etting so much attention, especially in the current market.
*cough* truck *cough* SUV *cough* recession *cough*
Like was said, it's a d@mn shame some people can't just appreciate a car for what it is, regardless of "who made it" or "what it's name is". Leaves me wondering how these people judge other people or even their own friends...

Honestly, I'm kinda fizzled out on the whole thing for a while. I just want to enjoy some of the other new cars that were debuted at NAIAS, but got drowned-out by this Mustang hype. I'm also about ready to find out some more on a potential Cougar on the DEW-performance platform. The latest 427 rumors, research some on the Shelby/Ford talks, and the BOSS 302 thing... There's just other issues I'm more interested in than reposting the same old same old about the '05 concepts.

To those who don't like the '05, great - don't buy it. But I don't think Ford will see sales below 200k units because you didn't buy one!
And I don't think this design is anything CLOSE to a dead-end street either.

Peace to you all, and be thankful that we CAN express our opinions freely, as we have done here. I'll probably keep reading, but I'm done posting on what the car does/does not look like.

Proud.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:28 PM

The fact that the fbody died has nothing to do with my dislike of the Mustang.

I dont like the Mustang because I dont want a retro Camaro. If you honestly believe in your heart that there are no plans for a new Camaro then fine, you can disagree with my reasoning all you want. However, going on how Guion, Doug, and RP talk there is something in the pipeline and I'll take their word over anyone else's word here any day of the week. If the Mustang makes a big splash and the General makes a retro Camaro, I wont buy it. If I wanted a damn first gen with fuel injection and creature comforts, I'd go build a pro-touring 69 Z28 RS. I dont. I want a car that makes people say "God damn that looks sharp." not "Damn that looks like a 67." And if you dont think it closely resembles a 67 then you're kidding yourself. Yes, there are cues in there from all the generations including recessed turn signals from the Fox body ( ), but the overall predominant theme in that car is straight from a 1967 Mustang. I dont want a FBody with cues from all generations grafted onto a 69 body. I want some cues from all the generations put on a body style that came from someone's mind and soul, not a picture.

And if that makes me dislike the Mustang, then so be-it.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by guess who
I got a bigger d!ick then you do,Does it matter NO,Will some jackass want to prove it?YES.
lol, Too much information?
Old 02-09-2003, 05:03 PM

I think the Porsche 911 analogy nails this thing on the head. You could always tell it was a 911 but you never considered it a retro styling theme. By some peoples definition on this board the 911 would HAVE to be considered retro (which is a joke). The 05 mustang is unmistakably a Mustang.

You could not say this for the 4th gen Camaro at all. People didn't know what it was (ie Sebring, Jaguar?). To me it had lost some identity.

I think the 5th gen has to have many cues from the past to identify this car. That's what Camaro needs in order to sell 200,000+ again...identity. You can only accomplish this with cues from the past.

If GM wants to build a modern futuristic rwd V8 please don't call it a Camaro...because in essence it won't be.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by SFERRV6
I think the Porsche 911 analogy nails this thing on the head. You could always tell it was a 911 but you never considered it a retro styling theme. By some peoples definition on this board the 911 would HAVE to be considered retro (which is a joke). The 05 mustang is unmistakably a Mustang.

You could not say this for the 4th gen Camaro at all. People didn't know what it was (ie Sebring, Jaguar?). To me it had lost some identity.

I think the 5th gen has to have many cues from the past to identify this car. That's what Camaro needs in order to sell 200,000+ again...identity. You can only accomplish this with cues from the past.

If GM wants to build a modern futuristic rwd V8 please don't call it a Camaro...because in essence it won't be.
I have already stated my thoughts on the whole 911 analogy so i won't do that again, but these two cases have very little in common.

The key word is design "cues" not design replication. The 5th gen will have to have cues that link it to a Camaro, but that doesn't have to mean something as literal as copied headlights or grill or shape. A fresh modern design with certain elements that link the car to it's lineage, but NOT a modern replica of a perticular year Camaro.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SFERRV6
Until the arrival of the water-cooled 996, the Porsche 911 wasn't "retro," it was just the same car with 3-decades of modifications. I alway though of it as a "work in progress." Here's a car that didn't have power steering until 1989 and used mechanical valve lifters until 1994.

The Mustang, in contrast, has been many cars over the last 40 years, with the nameplate remaining the only unchanging factor. While the 2005 is unmistakeable as a Mustang, it is also unmistakeable as a modern replica of a 1967.

Last edited by redzed; 02-09-2003 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Why I hate the new Mustang....