Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Where's the market for F-Bodys ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 06:46 PM

Where's the market for F-Bodys ?

What do you guys think the market value of our cars is going to do now the F-bodys are no longer being built? I've seen late
third gen cars selling at the same price range early fourth gen cars are going for.How long do you guys think it will take before
2nd and 3rd gen cars bring the same money as 1st gen cars?
Old 12-07-2002, 06:51 PM

Re: Where's the market for F-Bodys ?

Originally posted by Fast-Formula
What do you guys think the market value of our cars is going to do now the F-bodys are no longer being built? I've seen late
third gen cars selling at the same price range early fourth gen cars are going for.How long do you guys think it will take before
2nd and 3rd gen cars bring the same money as 1st gen cars?
I'm seeing a lot of the '70-'73 model year Camaros selling for the same as the classic first gens. I think when the 5th gen comes out (if they do come out by 2009) that collectors will appreciate the 3rd gens more and we'll see a rise in value there.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:22 PM

From now on, any time there's an f-body anniversary I think the buzz will pick up and the value will rise higher than normal, then to more or less level off till the next anniv, but never decreasing substantially, always leveled off or going up. The first ones to skyrocket are the ones with sought-after motors and nostalgic designs, each with their own desirability, like the 70-73 era, SD455 T/A era, any 400 or 455, pre-Z28 hiatus Z28s (pre-'76, I believe), '69 camaro will *always* be a top-10 seller, 1st gen convertibles, etc. A lot of those are overlapping. Many years later when some of those mentioned become really rare and expensive, even the lower end ones will have risen to a high-price plateau. Thirdgen in general, even though it's on the rise already for 350's and special models, I don't think will get full respect for at least 15-20 more years when they become truly few and far between. the 1st design 4th gen camaros and 2nd design 4th gen firebirds (the 2 better looking halves, respectively) should rise to a commanding level as well, right around the same time 3rd gen skyrockets. My guess was in about 15-20 years, around 2020. the other half (2nd half 4th gen camaro & 1st half 4th gen firebird) which I consider to be the uglier two 4th gens, will be the last ones to pick up price, 30 years out. All this is just pure speculation, but I think it'll be overall close.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:47 PM

I think most cars now days only keep their value if they are some-what rare. LT4 cars will be worth alot in the future. 93 Indy pace cars will probable be the same. 1LE cars maybe also. Otherwise, I don't think they will ever be anything like the 1st gens.

JMO!
Old 12-07-2002, 10:12 PM

Unless you have an 1LE, an anniversary model or a trailer queen, judging by Camaro's history, it's going to be a long while before our cars are worth alot.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kizz
The 1st design 4th gen camaros and 2nd design 4th gen firebirds (the 2 better looking halves, respectively) should rise to a commanding level as well, right around the same time 3rd gen skyrockets. My guess was in about 15-20 years, around 2020. the other half (2nd half 4th gen camaro & 1st half 4th gen firebird) which I consider to be the uglier two 4th gens, will be the last ones to pick up price, 30 years out. All this is just pure speculation, but I think it'll be overall close.
Whoa, I think you're dead wrong. If you're talking about the distant future, pre LS1 T/As and post '98 Z28/SS models will be the fast movers. If anything, the sealed beam head light 3rd Gen. and 93-97 Camaros are going to appear more dated to the average collector. The exceptions to my prediction will be the SLP Firehawks and full-body kit Callaway Supernatural Camaros.

I also see Gen. 1 cars fading as time goes by, except for people who get excited by crate engines and other pre-emmisions testing era mods. Short of the handful of ZL1s, I don't see inordinate price appreciation among "all original" cars.
The other bright spots will be '70-73 F2s, and the pre-1991 T/A GTAs.

I get the feeling that the one thing everone is missing is the fact that the future will be alot kinder to the F4, but more selective of F3s. The '90s might end up being the real golden era of stock performance.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:11 AM
Banned

This car that car his car my car. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There were so many made in the last few years that it will be a while before they grow in value. But eventually there will be so few that you can name your price and get it. But we're talking decades.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:11 AM

As a person looking for a specific IROC-Z for a few years now, I can tell you that Third Gen prices, as the original poster said, are already going up alot. Some of them go for prices now you would think they might be selling for years from now. The low demand for the 4th Gens even during the times when they were brand new has me thinking the market won't be that good for them even in years. They are definetly good for speed and power stock though and if some1 might want that cheap years from now and maybe doesn't care about other things, they could be a good deal.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:00 PM

I've notice the price on 1st gens has skyrocketed! I think a lot of people are trying to capitalize on the death of the f-body. I'm in the market for a restorable 1st gen, but I'll probably wait at least six months for the prices to settle a little.