Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

When's the real ecotech coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 04:54 PM
slt

When's the real ecotech coming out?

So they've been running 1100hp drag racing ecotechs, they nonchalantly put together a 600hp ecotech to murder the old land speed record, when do we get to see the fruits of this?

I read an article today about the mopar stage three SRT that uses the evo VI turbo(largest stock turbo for the evo series) with a titanium turbine for better spool up. This factory backed thing is going to be a monster.

So with all of GM's R&D, when do we get some competition? It looks like the Saturn is getting a SC ecotech good for only 200 hp. Is the cobalt SS going to get a turbo and make some real power? How about the Soltice? Are we still 3 years out befor we see one of them with some power? These little 4 bangers will make 300-350hp at the wheels all day long. A 300hp turbo solstice would be unreal. With the CTS diff and a good trans, I'm sure 500hp turbo kits for $2500 - $3000 would come out and make it a Corvette killer for rigth around $30,000.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:59 PM

Re: When's the real ecotech coming out?

and make it a Corvette killer for rigth around $30,000. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats a big no no for sure. Can't do that in GM lol. I'd like to see the Cobalt SS not only come close to SRT-4 standards, but surpass it and add to the "American Revolution". You figure in 2005 when the Cobalt SS comes out, 210 HP like the Saturn Ion will be not all the impressive, especially for a forced induction car. I'm not saying GM needs to make a Evo or STI killer, because that'd most likely go to the 5th Gen Camaro but a SRT-4 killer for around 20k would be great.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:01 PM

Re: When's the real ecotech coming out?

Originally posted by slt
...With the CTS diff and a good trans, I'm sure 500hp turbo kits for $2500 - $3000 would come out and make it a Corvette killer for rigth around $30,000.
Does GM want a corvette killer? No.

Those little motors with Blowers and turbos cost more to certify(crash testing), than their NA couterparts. Also emissions are harder to control which puts the gov on GM's back.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:51 PM
slt

Originally posted by 91_z28_4me
Does GM want a corvette killer? No.

Those little motors with Blowers and turbos cost more to certify(crash testing), than their NA couterparts. Also emissions are harder to control which puts the gov on GM's back.
I wouldn't expect GM to bring out a factory soltice with more than 300hp keeping the Corvette rule in full effect. The aftermarket, however, will take it from there. Turbo kits are relatively cheap, $2-3K.

I don't understand how a turbo would effect crash testing. As far as emissions, 270 hp evos are making 300 wheel hp with a $200 chip and 3" exhaust, Cali legal. And thats with the 4g63 which is atleast 15 years old and a very simple ECU. I'm sure GM could handle that task.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by slt
I wouldn't expect GM to bring out a factory soltice with more than 300hp keeping the Corvette rule in full effect. The aftermarket, however, will take it from there. Turbo kits are relatively cheap, $2-3K.

I don't understand how a turbo would effect crash testing. As far as emissions, 270 hp evos are making 300 wheel hp with a $200 chip and 3" exhaust, Cali legal. And thats with the 4g63 which is atleast 15 years old and a very simple ECU. I'm sure GM could handle that task.
First I didn't say crash testing would be harder it would just cost more money. I say that because each part you add has to be taken into account for crash test certification, ie a NA and a FI version of a motor cause 2 different crash tests to be done.

On emissions: 1st turbos cool down the exhaust gasses making the emissions harder to achieve because the cat doesn't react as much with colder air.

On turbo they create more under hood heat and that can cause problems with cooling and certainly add to the complexity of assembly and repair work. Also turbos require new oil lines and many other parts that wouldn't have to be done for the NA version.

Superchargers are easier to certify for emissions and because they take up less displacement under the hood than turbo setups they are easier for the manufacture to put onto a car. But they will require separate crash testing, create more heat, and require other modifications in order to be put into the car.

Aftermarket kits are very simple to do because they don't have to take all of this into consideration. Simply put they don't cost as much to do. This is one of the main reason that most vehicles on the road don't carry forced induction, it simply costs to much.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:52 PM
slt

Turbos arn't that complicated. GM has more than enough resources to overcome the small hurdles in developing them. My point is that GM has done a lot of this development work already with all these side projects. A whole generation would see GM in a new way if they came out with a 250+ hp turbo car, especially if it were in a RWD platform. Overbuild it like the dodge boys did and it would be a winner, both in sales and image.