Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM

Re: What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...

I don't see a point for Pontiac to exist any longer, so why would they bring it back?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ckt101
I'd like to see a division that doesn't need to have a full line-up, but just a few vehicles that concentrate on doing it right. I don't want to see a Pontiac minivan, or a Pontiac subcompact economy car, etc.
This was the only way I thought it could be saved. If it basically became a special edition.

One or two models in the lineup at a time. Maybe a fullsize sports sedan and a roadster for a few years, then the roadster dies and gets replaced with a performance coupe. Then the sedan goes away and becomes something else when the parts bin has something worthwhile.

I think they could have gotten away with it if those vehicles would be only one of two, maybe three rebadges, and they were inarguably superior to most of the other options. But even that probably wouldn't have made any money.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Not sure what you're trying to do being that is certainly not gonna happen.

Is this just a pointless "What If"???

Is this a effort to start a new internet rumor??

What's the issue of asking what someone would want Pontiac to be when these threads are chock full of answers to that very exact question, simply a search away?

Are you going to next ask "What if Plymouth comes back in 4 years...".

How about " What if Mercury comes back in 8...?"

Or Oldsmobile?

Or Saturn?

Studebaker?

How about a question about what we'd want if Hudson was coming back in 5 years?

Of course, there's going to be some gullible soul who's going to read your heading and damn near climax because he thinks by the way you chose your words that youare hiding some secret that Pontiac's coming back.

For the record, it is not.

And, again... I'm not sure what your purpose is.
You're ready to say "never?" As in, Pontiac is NEVER going to come back? I never say never. You might not want to either.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM

With 54 mpg CAFE coming, there is no need for Pontiac to return. 10 years from now, I doubt we will have Mustangs or Camaros - or if they are around - they will be extremely expensive cars. The future is cars like the Volt, Prius, C-Max, whether you like it or not.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
You're ready to say "never?" As in, Pontiac is NEVER going to come back? I never say never. You might not want to either.
Never? OK.

General Motors will NOT be bringing back the Pontiac Motor Division.

Reasons?

1. The cost of creating a whole new division.

2. The extra cost of marketing of a whole new division.

3. The lack of benefit for the expense of creating a whole new division.

4. The fact that the US car market is already crowded, meaning less market share for those divisions left.

5. more cost efficientcy in adding models to existing division.

6. The cost saved from not creating a whole new division is put towards making better cars in this highly competitive automotive enviroment.

7. The only reason GM didn't kill off Pontiac is because it cost them an arm and a leg to kill Oldsmobile... it was cheaper for them to attempt to save it (which the only halfheartedly did) than pay off dealers after killing it.

8. GM is first and formost a business, not a charity for those who still harbor hope that a division that's dead will return. If it doesn't make financial sense, doesn't have a payoff worth the cash investment and the diversion of human resources, it simply ain't going to happen.

So....

....as far as "never" goes.... sure. There may be some rich guy or investor who might somewhere along the line buy the "Pontiac" name from General Motors and use it on one or more shop modified new Chevrolets or Buicks.

If that's what you mean by never saying never, then of course you're correct. Some poor soul attempted to create 'Cudas out of current Dodge Challengers..... and is still, last I heard, dealing with legal issues... let alone getting a cars made. Someone else bought the Studebaker name and made a few Hummer look-alikes with that name.

However, someone (say a Chinese company wanting to get a foothold in the US) simply buying the Pontiac name and using it on their cars is the most likely scenario of Pontiac coming back as a division.

But beyond that, if you are attempting to convince anyone that General Motors is creating a new Pontiac division, then this would belong in the same catagory of that thread where someone claimed their "Good, dear, personal friend" told them that GM wasn't going to sell off Saab and they were just pretending.

There simply isn't going to be a new Pontiac Motor division at GM.

Not being negative or anything.

Just being truthful.

Plus, I've seen how people start internet rumors too many times.

CamaroZ28.com's "New and Future Vehicles" section has in the decade I've been coming here been well above that. You could always come here for straight news without absurd rumor starting.

Personally, I'd like to see it stay that way.

Last edited by guionM; 10-31-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Koz

If you told me that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...I'd make a mental note to bump this thread in 4 years and tell you that you were wrong.

Then again, I in 4 more years GM will probably have had 2 more CEOs and changed the upper staff 3 times. So perhaps they would reverse a decision that was made a few years in the past, despite that it was made with good reasoning and had good business results.

Last edited by Koz; 10-31-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:57 PM

There is just one name that needs to be mentioned in this entire thread. Bob Lutz.

When the EV1 came out then went away, people said it was a fad, it wouldn't happen again, etc.

Does the Chevrolet Volt matter today?

The one guy, the one person that never wanted Pontiac to go away was recently rehired by GM.

Do I really have to spell it out?

By the way, to address your issue on a "Chinese company buying the Pontiac name" - it was never available as being "for sale." As I said......the guy recently rehired, probably tried to buy it

Last edited by Josh452; 10-31-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 AM

Yup
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM

There is just one name that needs to be mentioned in this entire thread. Bob Lutz.

When the EV1 came out then went away, people said it was a fad, it wouldn't happen again, etc.

Does the Chevrolet Volt matter today?

The one guy, the one person that never wanted Pontiac to go away was recently rehired by GM.

By the way, to address your issue on a "Chinese company buying the Pontiac name" - it was never available as being "for sale." As I said......the guy recently rehired, probably tried to buy it
I hate to say it but Bob Lutz will be lucky to be breating in 4 years that alone heading up any kind of effort whatsoever.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by falchulk
I hate to say it but Bob Lutz will be lucky to be breathing in 4 years that alone heading up any kind of effort whatsoever.
This.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM
slt

I know a lot of girls that loved Grand Ams. That was great middle aged chick car. Had just enough power to make them think it was a sports car with a little bit of pizazz. The G6 was too watered down. I think they abandoned a large demographic with that move.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by falchulk
I hate to say it but Bob Lutz will be lucky to be breating in 4 years that alone heading up any kind of effort whatsoever.
Good point.

Speaking purely as a "lowly" outsider I know that Bob had (has?) great power and influence over product at General Motors. But does one man have the kind of clout that would be necessary to resurrect a superfluous brand? I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 AM

Although I think it's highly unlikely for Pontiac to return. I would love the chance to buy a new firebird again.

Mike
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 AM

This thread gives me the chuckles.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ehaase
With 54 mpg CAFE coming, there is no need for Pontiac to return. 10 years from now, I doubt we will have Mustangs or Camaros - or if they are around - they will be extremely expensive cars. The future is cars like the Volt, Prius, C-Max, whether you like it or not.
That's not my future...

Speak for yourself.

As for an answer to the original question: I would tell you that I might consider a new GM product again.

Quick Reply: What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...