Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:20 AM

What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...

What would you want?

Now, factor in fuel economy, etc.

Ready.......Set....GO
Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 AM

Re: What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...

Not sure what you're trying to do being that is certainly not gonna happen.

Is this just a pointless "What If"???

Is this a effort to start a new internet rumor??

What's the issue of asking what someone would want Pontiac to be when these threads are chock full of answers to that very exact question, simply a search away?

Are you going to next ask "What if Plymouth comes back in 4 years...".

How about " What if Mercury comes back in 8...?"

Or Oldsmobile?

Or Saturn?

Studebaker?

How about a question about what we'd want if Hudson was coming back in 5 years?

Of course, there's going to be some gullible soul who's going to read your heading and damn near climax because he thinks by the way you chose your words that youare hiding some secret that Pontiac's coming back.

For the record, it is not.

And, again... I'm not sure what your purpose is.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 AM

If Pontiac were ever to come back I'd like to really see an "excitement" division and an explosive collar equipped around the neck of any Pontiac dealer that would detonate when they start whinnng about not having an economy car or bland mobile or whatever would amount to a tarted up platform lacking any real performance substance.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 AM

What if pontiac came back in for years? I think you should be more concerned what if GM isn't around in 4 years They are a pathetic company and will eventually go under simple as that. Then the UAW can build you a whooper and fries then serve it to you with a frown.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 AM

What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...?

I'd click on this thread. GM still seems a bit 'naked' without Pontiac.

Not sure if I'd buy one though?

Jeff
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jproz1167
What if pontiac came back in for years? I think you should be more concerned what if GM isn't around in 4 years They are a pathetic company and will eventually go under simple as that. Then the UAW can build you a whooper and fries then serve it to you with a frown.
Hate much? And please annotate what makes GM so pathetic? Would it be the Cruze (one of the best selling cars in America)? Would it be the CTS-V, The ZR1? The ZL1? The Camaro overall? The LSx? Would it be the governemnt loans? You know the ones that helped keep America from slidding into one giant ****ball because GM would have taken the domestic car business with it? Is it because Chevrolet doesn't turn the Corvette into a 250k mid engine Aventador fighter? I'd really like to know?

Last edited by bossco; 10-31-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM

Some real negative nancys in here.

I'd look for RWD turbocharged applications, midsize coupes, 6-speed option in everything.

Return of the Grand Prix too.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Hate much? And please annotate what makes GM so pathetic? Would it be the Cruze (one of the best selling cars in America)? Would it be the CTS-V, The ZR1? The ZL1? The Camaro overall? The LSx? Would it be the governemnt loans? You know the ones that helped keep America from slidding into one giant ****ball because GM would have taken the domestic car business with it? Is it because Chevrolet doesn't turn the Corvette into a 250k mid engine Aventador fighter? I'd really like to know?
I think it might have something to do with GM begging the government for money, filing bankruptcy and then bailing on warranty and recall issues, ugly cars, shakes rattles and recalls. Do you need anymore reasoning to justify pathetic car company? The economy has nothing to do with their demise, that started back in the early 80's when they couldn't satisfy customer service relations etc etc. GM will go under it is just a matter of time, nobody really cares if the ZL1 has 100k horsepower or the ZR1 and cadillac have a 100k horsepower. Those cars are has beens now and the market is for practical cars that serve multi-purposes and with gas at 4 bucks a gallon get extremely good gas mileage. Sorry but performance can't save GM, this isn't the era that that is a strong point in sales.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM

Delta II coupe
Alpha sedan
GTO that has a larger back seat and is more practical than the Camaro.

Throw a convertible into the mix too. Probably doesn't matter what car it is based off of. Delta would be more affordable, but he GTO would be more exciting.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM

IF Pontiac were to come back, EVERY car they made would have to be RWD. Even the small ones. They could offer AWD as an option.
They'd have to run corporate engines of course, but there's no reason why those engines couldn't be a more aggressive version.
Styling has to scream Pontiac. And NOT the Pontiacs from the '80s & '90s with all their plastic cladding. I'm talking about the Pontiacs from the '60s and early '70s. Just about every Pontiac wore Coke bottle inspired sheetmetal and there's no reason why they couldn't today.
Need to have awesome power, great handling, excellent brakes - just great driving dynamics. Nothing that any other GM devision could provide.
They'd have to have things that would make them unique amonst all the other GM vehicles (and not just a grille).

If Pontiac were to return today, they would HAVE to hearken back to their heyday of the late '60s in order to be successful. Look how poorly the new GTO was received. If that car was given bodywork and other elements that was inspired by an earlier GTO (much like the Camaro is), that car would have been a huge hit (much like the Camaro is).
Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 PM

The real point of this thread is just to make Pontiac enthusiasts sad again
Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=jproz1167;6813254]I think it might have something to do with GM begging the government for money, filing bankruptcy and then bailing on warranty and recall issues, ugly cars, shakes rattles and recalls. Do you need anymore reasoning to justify pathetic car company?

Certainly...loans aside, you can dig up any number of companies that haven't done the same? My brother recently had trouble (as in no help at all) getting a computer replaced because the company went **** up and the company that bought the remains wouldn't honor the warranty. Try and get a warranty through Saleen performance on vehicles after Steve Saleen's ownership (its only because Steve Saleen is a stand up guy that he still warranties them through his new Business SMS, not Saleeen Performance)

On the subject of loans, Chrysler took them (you can say they were washed up but Chrysler was done in by the asshats at Diamler and Cereberus) Ford would have certainly took them had they not mortgaged every thing they owned which by Mullaly's own admission was just plain dumb luck rather than an sort of patriotic notion or knowledgable planning ergo if Ford had not done so they to would have had to take the loans. Furthermore because of the loans GM is in a better long term position than Ford when it comes to overhead since its about 350.00 per car versus Ford's 1200.00 per car (not to mention IIRC Ford has among the highest labor costs in the industry) and by the way, car companies outside the US regularly recieve huge financial support from their governments on a regular basis even before any sort of economic crisis occured.

The economy has nothing to do with their demise, that started back in the early 80's when they couldn't satisfy customer service relations etc etc. GM will go under it is just a matter of time
Not entirely but the economy did certainly have an effect on GM, to say otherwise is like saying gravity had no effect on getting your eyebrows wet while swinging upside down on a branch and taking a ****.

nobody really cares if the ZL1 has 100k horsepower or the ZR1 and cadillac have a 100k horsepower. Those cars are has beens now and the market is for practical cars that serve multi-purposes and with gas at 4 bucks a gallon get extremely good gas mileage. Sorry but performance can't save GM, this isn't the era that that is a strong point in sales.
Yet by May of this year performance cars outsold hybrids source Certainly doesn't say washed up to me?

I'm no GM fanboi (I've purchased nothing but new Mustangs since 1994) and I'd call GM anything but pathetic (after all how pathetic is GM when Ferrari liscences suspension technology from them?). Sure they could run thier business better and it would have been nice if they wouldn't have taken those loans, but this pathetic car company is a big part of the economic and creative process (GM is a top 50 patent producer) in this country

So hate all you want along with all your super capitalist buddies who like to think GM evaporating would be nothing but a good thing because frankly I'm begging for it to happen too, not that I want to see GM disappear but I sure as hell want to rub it in your face when your standing in line to get your government cheese due to GM's demise taking your job with it.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM

Where did jTROLLS1167 come from?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 PM

It would need to be a modern performance car division that really set itself apart from every other brand. I'm not really seeing a place for it, though, since Buick is delivering European performance under an American name, Cadillac is still wrapped up in the luxury market, and Chevrolet is the bread/butter of the GM brand with something for everyone.

Bring it back as an all-electric lineup, or a rechargeable electric like the Volt, but maybe with a small diesel powerplant?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 PM

I'd like to see some cars that were engineered as Pontiacs instead of hand me downs from Chevy, Holden, etc.

I'd to see Pontiac be a true excitement division, ie actual performance, not ugly boy racer body kits grafted onto a chevy appliance.

I'd like to see a division that doesn't need to have a full line-up, but just a few vehicles that concentrate on doing it right. I don't want to see a Pontiac minivan, or a Pontiac subcompact economy car, etc.

Quick Reply: What if I told you, that in 4 years Pontiac would be back...