Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What if Ford got a version of the next-gen Miata to compete with Solstice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by johnsocal

I never stated I wanted a V8 Miata (check all my posts if you like) I only used the V8 Miata reference to show the possibilies.
I guess what we have here is a failure to communicate

... and if a name is not activiely being used for a certain length of time it can become publically available again.
Great news for Camaro lovers. Because of this fiasco with CAW / union this is a perfect solution - keep it dead long enough until it won't matter, and then resurrect it. Possibly on a Aveo platform
Old 07-16-2003, 06:50 AM

The last car I owned before my SS was a 92 Miata. I modified everything possible on that car. The engine swaps that were done were the 5.0 Stang engines and there is an LS1 swap underway but I dont think it has been finished YET! He was going LS1 vs because of the aluminum and weight but once again there are fitment issues. My goal was to swap out the engine but in the long run I put a turbo on it, aftermarket ECU and she would fly. I surprised many many people, it was the ultimate sleeper. It was a fantastic car, But the need for speed was still there...
So late June along comes the 97 SS and the Miata found a new home..........so after a few weeks of LT1 ownership my only comment is....................There is no replacement for displacement!
Old 07-17-2003, 12:41 AM

Here's a cool pic of a next-gen Cobra that won an amateur design contest for Motortrend @ http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/20...nemeth3809.jpg
Old 07-18-2003, 12:01 PM

I have swaped a 5.0L into an RX7, not quite the same, but it did destroy everything that the car was. Don't get me wrong the car is fun as hell, but it is no longer the lightweight car I used to love to throw into the corners on the canyon roads. It oversteers like a bitch and feels nose heavy, it is more like my Mustang than it is to an RX7 anymore. If the Miata turns out like that it will be a flop, how can it increase in size and not be compared to the new Ford GT? Mazda does not need to add a exotic to there line up, I think a turbo car would be more appealing to todays market anyway. Bottom line a V8 miata would be cool, but not totally practial. In a day of Mini Coopers and other super compacts, I don't think increasing size is the answer.