Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What do I buy now?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:31 PM

I'd go with the GTO (as long as there is no make up, make up is BS) or find a like new 2002 WS6 with a few thousand miles on it.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:09 AM

Dude mod the 84 Z28 you're getting. For the other car get a used F-Body or something, doesn't gotta be new.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:23 AM

The LT1 is getting boring so you want to spice things up with a Grand Am with a special hood??? And the Corvette isn't mean enough??? It also doesn't sound like the best thing in the world to buy a car new every couple years; you'd be better off going the used route if you have to keep changing, or try leasing.

Though you seem to be hesitant to go the import route, after hearing the list of cars you are considering (Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Grand Am...), I'd definitely give them another look. There are certainly offerings out there with healthy exhaust notes. The 350Z/G35 immediately comes to mind as a fresh car that might fit the bill (new styling, performance). I'm also quite pleased with my WRX and it's horizontally-opposed boxer-turbo exhaust note (not to mention it's a helluvalot more fun to drive than anything you listed).

The LS1 route, as mentioned, would still make for a nice car...albeit it's an older look. If you like the traditional Pontiac styling (ala GP and GA) and want to power to go with it, the GTO is the obvious choice. If this fall is your target date, I wouldn't make a decision before getting behind the wheel of this car. Even if it runs a few grand higher, one drive might make that a non-issue. The CTS-V might also be worth a look if it's out, though probably pricier than the GTO.

Ultimately, I'd go out and drive as much as you can between now and then, even things you overlooked before or wrote off because of dubious reasoning...you may surprise yourself.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Z28x
I'd go with the GTO (as long as there is no make up, make up is BS)
Exactly! If everything we're hearing about the GTO is made up, forget it!!

Oh, unless it really does have hood scoops...
Old 01-18-2003, 10:11 AM

jrc... when I said the Vette wasn't mean enough I meant cosmetically... which is just as important to me as power... same with the Grand AM GT SC/T, I've always considered a GA GT for a daily driver, with the SC/T hood it looks pretty mean, even if it's not... I'd only go that route if I can find enough things to buy to beef it up... but it's definately NOT at the top of my list.

The imports just have no appeal what-so-ever to me. Though I've heard great things about the WRX, I just hate the looks. No offense, it's just MHO.

I do want to drive a GTO before making a definate decision...

Anyone know where I can find a lender that would allow me to do a short loan (2-3yrs) on a car like the 20th T/A? I want to keep my options open... and if it's not a reasonable option then I'd rather find that out now.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:30 PM

I've used J. J. Best before and they were great. My loan was $8100 over 45 months. Worth a try: http://www.jjbest.com/
good luck, GT