Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Welburn: C7 Corvette To Get Split Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 PM

Aren't we over the MF'n retro stuff already?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Aren't we over the MF'n retro stuff already?
I think that's about all that Detroits got.....something that the imports can't copy...
Old 09-22-2009, 12:06 AM

So if the split window goes on a low production C7 then it sounds like the Vette will again offer a third body style like the C5's did. Hardtop, hatch and convert.

I wonder if by limited production do they mean something like ZR1 kind of production??
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Um, the Corvette has always had retro styling cues.
Not to the extent of putting a freaking body stripe down the back glass. The C6 does a good job of having evolutionary styling, yet still maintaining the corvette look. Why incorporate a styling element that so blatantly rips off the past? It just seems "forced". It shouldn't be put on there just for the sake of having it on there. A design should flow and progress organically. You shouldn't tell the designers: "hey, make it a split window so we can get some buzz on this car."
Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 AM

If they went back to pop up head lights would that be considered retro?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 AM
West South Central Moderator

I would say that going back to the quartet of round taillights is a heavy retro styling cue. The side coves, the styling on the roof, the Crossed flags emblems, bringing back old names like Z06, ZR1, and Grand Sport all very heavily draw from that model's heritage.

Maybe they got enough positive feedback from the Centennial Corvette Concept in Transformers 2 and on the Auto Show Circuit that they thought it might be a good idea to give the customer what they want?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 AM

a line down the back window does not retro make...but to make it more like an older vette???

Hey like the 5th gen why not it might turn out beautiful...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
Maybe it comes standard w/ a back-up camera?
Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
actuallyyyyyyy.....

OK, a back up camera might help you get around the fundamental functionality flaw on a rear window split... while backing up the car..... (though I still think it'd be annoying as hell)................ but, what do you do about it when you are going.... FORWARD... actually driving?!?!?

Lame. Lame... LAME.

There is a BIG REASON why the split window was a one-year thing...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 AM

I'm betting that a split-window C7 would have a larger rear view mirror than the one used now. Personally, I think a larger rear mirror is a good idea anyway.

The back-up camera idea is cool also.
I'm sorry, I don't understand the whole "intentionally handicap a car and then include expensive equipment to rectify it" idea of a split-window Corvette equipped with a backup camera. Talk about counterproductive.

This isn't a minivan or a Suburban.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 AM

I would say that going back to the quartet of round taillights is a heavy retro styling cue. The side coves, the styling on the roof, the Crossed flags emblems, bringing back old names like Z06, ZR1, and Grand Sport all very heavily draw from that model's heritage.

Maybe they got enough positive feedback from the Centennial Corvette Concept in Transformers 2 and on the Auto Show Circuit that they thought it might be a good idea to give the customer what they want?

Quad round tail lights, side coves, and crossed flags have essentially never left Corvette.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM

I guess I'll wait to see it, but I hate the idea of a split window. Leave the past in the past.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
OK, a back up camera might help you get around the fundamental functionality flaw on a rear window split... while backing up the car..... (though I still think it'd be annoying as hell)................ but, what do you do about it when you are going.... FORWARD... actually driving?!?!?

Lame. Lame... LAME.

There is a BIG REASON why the split window was a one-year thing...
Or they could have a TV screen in the dash that is always showing the view behind the car.

Corvette Racing started using a rear view camera with a TV screen in the cockpit back in the C5-R days and continued on with the C6.R. Since a lot of information and technology is shared between the two, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw this in the C7 split window version.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 PM

I'm just throwing this out there, but what if the rear view mirror was actually a screen for a camera? Sure, it's added cost and complexity, but it wouldn't be any less safe. Or rather, is it less safe to look down at a monitor than it is to look up at the mirror? In either case you are taking your eyes off the road.

I have a sliding window in my Silverado, and I've had an Econoline and neither are bothersome while driving.

I don't think it'd really matter unless you had a motorcycle dead center behind you, and then the camera would cover the void.

My M3 had a removeable rear view mirror in 1997, it was great for track days. So, heck, you can put that in the Vette and let others take care of themselves...visibility is for the birds! LOL!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 PM

I'm looking forward to a heritage inspired C7.

Corvette has ALWAYS been heritage inspired and so has Every OTHER exotic car.

You guys kill me with the anti-heritage attitude. *shakes head*

(And I said HERITAGE, not retro rip off)

Last edited by FUTURE_OF_GM; 09-23-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM

The car in the Transformers movie WAS a preview of what to expect in the C7. GM and Chevy can say "no it wasn't" all they want but ask yourself one question: Why would they do the car if they weren't going to actually DO the car?"

You're talking about the Corvette here people. GM does not just do a car like this for "no reason" at all.

I thought you folks were smarter then this.

Quick Reply: Welburn: C7 Corvette To Get Split Rear Window