CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Welburn: C7 Corvette To Get Split Rear Window (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/welburn-c7-corvette-get-split-rear-window-712169/)

95redLT1 09-21-2009 07:43 PM

Welburn: C7 Corvette To Get Split Rear Window

Just over a month ago we brought you the first reports that the C7 Chevrolet Corvette is due to arrive in 2012, and now Ed Welburn, GM's product design head, has revealed that the next Vette will get a split rear window along with some other vintage styling cues.

The split rear window, though often considered an iconic Corvette element, was actually only fitted to the 1963 Corvette Sting Ray. It was also featured on the Stingray Concept car shown off for the Transformers movie debut, though GM and Welburn have both reiterated that the Stingray Concept is not the C7 Corvette.

While the stingray us undeniably Corvette, the next-gen Vette will be a bit more retron in its styling, not unlike the current 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, according to the report.

Our own previous reports also confirm that the mid-engine rumors for the C7 Corvette are just that--the next car will retain the traditional front engine/rear drive layout. It will continue to push forward with the use of high-tech materials including carbon fiber, aluminum and magnesium to help further reduce weight.

As we noted earlier today, the Corvette will also have to become somewhat more emissions-conscious thanks to new standards being implemented by the federal government. GM won't let that sap the car's legendary performance, however, vowing to do whatever it takes, including going hybrid, to keep the Vette alive and kicking.

One potential direction to help maintain performance and meet emissions targets is a reduced displacement forced-induction V-8 engine not unlike the LSA fitted to the current Cadillac CTS-V. Rated at 556 horsepower, that engine would be no slouch for even the Z06 application in the Corvette range, especially with a lighter curb weight than the C6 Corvettes.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...it-rear-window

95redLT1 09-21-2009 07:49 PM

Corvette Could Go Hybrid To Survive Strict Fuel Rules

It's not very likely the Corvette will go hybrid, says Tom Stephens, GM's vice chairman of global product development, but the company will do whatever it takes to keep the Corvette around once the recently announced fuel regulations raise the national standard to a company-wide 35.5 mpg average in 2016.

Stephens also says it's not likely that the Corvette will have to adopt a smaller six-cylinder engine either. Instead, a high-tech V-8 engine should be able to meet the fuel efficiency floor with the assistance of low rolling resistance tires, a lighter curb weight and electric power steering.

The engine itself would get direct injection, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation to boost fuel economy. The current Corvette would need to nearly double its combined efficiency rating to meet the 35.5 mpg standard. Since the 35.5 mpg figure is a company average, however, GM could shoot for a more realistic target, say 30 mpg, and let its more efficient, higher-volume models pick up the slack.

CLEAN 09-21-2009 08:05 PM

Purported Welburn quote or not, I find the possibility of a split rear window very remote. It was a bad idea from every vantage point except styling, and even then its subjective. I'd need to see the actual source before believing it, not just some guys blog that said Welburn said it.

SSbaby 09-21-2009 08:10 PM

http://cache-foo-03.gawkerassets.com...ept_Ext_06.jpg

Josh452 09-21-2009 08:17 PM

It will be available on a special edition C7. One that will see VERY limited numbers.

It's been on the table since shortly after the C6 debuted....when work on the C7 started. Glad it's going to come to be.

Darth Xed 09-21-2009 08:22 PM

I still say there isn't even a snowball's chance in hell of this making production.

Z28x 09-21-2009 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452 (Post 6115266)
It will be available on a special edition C7. One that will see VERY limited numbers.

Yeah, there is no way that would be standard on a Corvette. Special edition makes sense.

Sixer-Bird 09-21-2009 09:05 PM

This is a dumb idea. Corvette doesn't need retro styling. Especially if it hurts visibility and aerodynamics.

Z28Wilson 09-21-2009 09:13 PM

Split window is an idea better left in 1963. Please.

Does GM believe people don't want the ability to SEE out of their sports cars? (Camaro, now C7?)

95redLT1 09-21-2009 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson (Post 6115327)
Split window is an idea better left in 1963. Please.

Does GM believe people don't want the ability to SEE out of their sports cars? (Camaro, now C7?)

Maybe it comes standard w/ a back-up camera? :lol:

AdioSS 09-21-2009 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird (Post 6115318)
This is a dumb idea. Corvette doesn't need retro styling. Especially if it hurts visibility and aerodynamics.

Um, the Corvette has always had retro styling cues.

I'm betting that a split-window C7 would have a larger rear view mirror than the one used now. Personally, I think a larger rear mirror is a good idea anyway.

The back-up camera idea is cool also.

formula79 09-21-2009 10:17 PM

Hybrid with batteries would suck for weight.

Is there a way to do a split window that you can see through from inside the car. Maybe like those one way mirrors.

Caps94ZODG 09-21-2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1 (Post 6115332)
Maybe it comes standard w/ a back-up camera? :lol:

actuallyyyyyyy.....;)

95redLT1 09-21-2009 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG (Post 6115403)
actuallyyyyyyy.....;)

That's what I figured.

CLEAN 09-21-2009 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS (Post 6115377)
I'm betting that a split-window C7 would have a larger rear view mirror than the one used now. Personally, I think a larger rear mirror is a good idea anyway.

I don't know, the current sized mirror already blocks plenty of forward visibility. Unlike most cars, where the rearview mirror is above eye level, in the corvette, it hits you right at eye level, and blocks anything off to the front right of your car. You get used to looking "around" the mirror for things, but if it were bigger, it would start getting into the major PITA category.