Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Are we expecting a Z28 any time soon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Re: Are we expecting a Z28 any time soon?

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Even though I dont like the weight of the 5th gen, I would buy this car.
As would I.

As far as weight goes, there are already carbon fiber hoods, fenders and trunk lids on the aftermarket. Enough to drop a few lbs off to make things interesting.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Would an LS7 powered F5 be any cheaper than the ZL1?

I dont think it would be if this hypothetical Z/28 came fitted with all the stuff that made the ZL1 such a monster (mag dampers, 6/4 Brembos, track coolers, et al) or do you do the 1LE with the LS7 and call it a Z/28?

I suppose there is room for a Z/28 and a ZL1 to som extent, but if the Z/28 comes in under the ZL1 and its on track performance meets or exceeds the ZL1 then what? Does GM go nuclear like Ford and add 150hp and some other tricks to maintain the ZL1's top dog status?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 AM
West South Central Moderator

I like the idea of an LS7 M6 only Camaro Z/28. What else could they realitically do to differentiate it from the SS/1LE & ZL1?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Would an LS7 powered F5 be any cheaper than the ZL1?
If all they do is swap the LS7 with the LS3 in the 1LE? Yes.

The 1LE is supposed to be priced just under $40k. The ZL1 is $55K. The price difference between the LS7 and the LS3 is between $5k-$8k depending on who you ask.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 AM

That would certainly put the screws to the Boss 302....
Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
That would certainly put the screws to the Boss 302....
Sales wise sure. I am not so sure about on the track.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Sales wise sure. I am not so sure about on the track.
I don't think it would have a problem with the Boss. The ZL1 already reportedly cuts corners on par with the Boss, according to the Motor Trend comparo. Drop 200 lbs and add an engine that still outpowers the Boss by quite a bit, and...

Doesn't matter, though, as it isn't going to happen.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:33 PM

This is the same thread we have had since the 5th Gen was introduced.

People either don't want a 5th Gen Z28 because it doesn't seem to fit the heritage or the weight is too much or the constant calls for the LS7.... etc.

Point being nobody would be happy if GM called the 1LE as introduced a Z28 for one reason or another.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
If all they do is swap the LS7 with the LS3 in the 1LE? Yes.

The 1LE is supposed to be priced just under $40k. The ZL1 is $55K. The price difference between the LS7 and the LS3 is between $5k-$8k depending on who you ask.
That's a no brainer. If not LS7 then something with that spirit. Everything parts wise is there between SS 1LE to the ZL1 minus the motor.

I dont know why people keep saying Z28 wont make the 5th gen... Think about the way the 5th gen has been evolving.... Generally one thing tested and released at a time for both quality control and keeping things new in marketing by consistently releasing new trim levels to keep interest and keep the car from getting old.

SS and v6 CTF tested then hits production

Convertible "

ZL1 "
Simultaneously tested with
- ZL1 convertible as convertible tops already in production
- 1LE components simultaneously tested in ZL1 while the biggest difference the SS motor already proven in production.

Z28
Likely the basis lies between 1LE and ZL1 components however the motor will likely vary. Whether an LS7 or something else why test it at the same time you trying to perfect the ZL1? Not only does testing the ZL1 alone give you time to work out the bugs in that car, it gives you time marketing wise to measure the enthusiasm weaning for ZL1. As it dies down a bit start testing on Z28 CTF when its your sole focus.

I think that might be what is going on and if so I think it is smart marketing and smart quality wise to have your sole focus perfecting one thing. Even if you could wave a magic wand and release the ZL1 and Z28 at the same time people arent going to be twice as excited for twice the amount of time. They are only new once.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 06-12-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM

I agree the Z28 will not happen for the F5. I'm waiting until 2016, myself...when its the right weight, and they have the ***** to put the nameplate back on a true Z28-type vehicle, the money will be sitting in my account
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
This is the same thread we have had since the 5th Gen was introduced.

People either don't want a 5th Gen Z28 because it doesn't seem to fit the heritage or the weight is too much or the constant calls for the LS7.... etc.

Point being nobody would be happy if GM called the 1LE as introduced a Z28 for one reason or another.
Very true.

Originally Posted by Jason E
I agree the Z28 will not happen for the F5. I'm waiting until 2016, myself...when its the right weight, and they have the ***** to put the nameplate back on a true Z28-type vehicle, the money will be sitting in my account
I agree Jason.

The biggest thing that I don't a single person realizes here is that the 5th gen Camaro has already drifted past the halfway point of it's life cycle! It's going into it's 4th model year already, and it's got just 2 model years left after that, if the current time table sticks.

Also, there is no real reason (or plausable plan on which to even make a Z28) outside of nostalgia for the name.

An ultimate high powered Camaro?? That's the ZL1.

A track competitor to the Boss Mustang?? That's the 1LE.

If there was going to be a Z28 done after the model that became the ZL1, it certainly would have been the 1LE.

And forget about GM spending it's limited cash certifying a different engine for a Camaro that's not even going to be around 3 years, whose sales figures aren't likely to exceed 4 digits without canabalizing existing SS sales, and isn't going to sell for over $40K.

Short of sticking different style stripes and a few plastic Z28 badges to a 1LE and charging a couple grand more, there isn't a Z28 plan that makes sense. That means outside of that possible scenario, it aint gonna happen with the 5th gen.

The 2013MY is already underway.
The next Camaro is tentatively due in 2016MY.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Z28 till at least then, or maybe later.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I don't think it would have a problem with the Boss. The ZL1 already reportedly cuts corners on par with the Boss, according to the Motor Trend comparo. Drop 200 lbs and add an engine that still outpowers the Boss by quite a bit, and...

Doesn't matter, though, as it isn't going to happen.
So is it keeping MSRC / PTM or not?

With standard dampers and a 60HP advantage it is not going to beat a Boss around many circuits considering it still has a 300lb disadvantage even if you take 200lbs away from ZL1.

Maybe if it still had the shocks and same wheel / tire package. Guess we will never know.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Also, there is no real reason (or plausable plan on which to even make a Z28) outside of nostalgia for the name.

An ultimate high powered Camaro?? That's the ZL1.

A track competitor to the Boss Mustang?? That's the 1LE.

If there was going to be a Z28 done after the model that became the ZL1, it certainly would have been the 1LE.

And forget about GM spending it's limited cash certifying a different engine for a Camaro that's not even going to be around 3 years, whose sales figures aren't likely to exceed 4 digits without canabalizing existing SS sales, and isn't going to sell for over $40K.

Short of sticking different style stripes and a few plastic Z28 badges to a 1LE and charging a couple grand more, there isn't a Z28 plan that makes sense. That means outside of that possible scenario, it aint gonna happen with the 5th gen.
If GM followed that form of logic, they would have never built the Corvette 427 Convertible as they already had Z06 and ZR1.

However they did.

I still think there's more to come before GM is through with the 5th gen Camaro.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
If GM followed that form of logic, they would have never built the Corvette 427 Convertible as they already had Z06 and ZR1.

However they did.

I still think there's more to come before GM is through with the 5th gen Camaro.
Except that the LS7 is already certified for the Corvette but not for Camaro.

And from what we've been told priced out of the Camaro's range. Which is why GM used the lower cost mass produced LSA for the ZL1 and not the more expensive hand built LS7/LS9 from GM Performance Build Center.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
So is it keeping MSRC / PTM or not?

With standard dampers and a 60HP advantage it is not going to beat a Boss around many circuits considering it still has a 300lb disadvantage even if you take 200lbs away from ZL1.

Maybe if it still had the shocks and same wheel / tire package. Guess we will never know.
It apparently doesn't have the magnetic shocks, but it also doesn't have regular SS suspension. So I'm sure it won't provide the (relatively) gentle on the street / badass on the track combo of the ZL1, but that doesn't mean they can't tune traditional dampers to lean more toward the badass on the track side of the equation.

There have been (and still are) many, many cars with excellent handling and manners while using shocks that aren't magnetically adjustable. Like the Boss.

The 1LE has a better weight distribution than the Boss. Also, a 3900 lb 1LE with 505 hp would have had a better power to weight ratio than a 3600 lb Boss.

Alas, the ~426 hp 1LE will not. (But it will still be a badass car!)

Quick Reply: Are we expecting a Z28 any time soon?