Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Volt production suspended

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Volt production suspended

I would think with the latest gas price spike that Volt sales would be surging but it appears that things are not going well for the car.

Hinting at weak sales, GM suspends production of Chevrolet Volt electric car for 5 weeks - The Washington Post

DALLAS — General Motors Co. is suspending production of its Chevrolet Volt electric car for five weeks amid disappointing sales.

A GM spokesman said Friday that the company will shut down production of the Volt from March 19 until April 23, idling 1,300 workers at the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.

The Volt was rolled out with great fanfare in late 2010 but has since hit bumps in the road. Sales have fallen short of expectations, and its reputation was bruised by an investigation into a possible fire risk.

It carries a high price tag — around $41,000 before a U.S. tax credit of up to $7,500. Rising gasoline prices should boost the Volt’s appeal, but there are plenty of other less-expensive cars that also get good mileage.

GM sold 7,671 Volts last year, below its original goal of 10,000 cars. The company stopped publicly announcing sales targets last year. It sold 1,023 Volts in February and 603 in January.

“The fact that GM is now facing an oversupply of Volts suggests that consumer demand is just not that strong for these vehicles,” said Lacey Plache, chief economist for auto information site Edmunds.com.

GM spokesman Chris Lee said the company was “taking a temporary shutdown” of the assembly line.

“We’re doing it to maintain our proper inventory levels as we align production with demand,” he said.

Lee said a decision to allow Volt drivers to use carpool lanes in California should help demand. “We’re just looking to increase sales, and we see a positive trend going forward,” he said.

Although the Volt has not been a big seller, the low-emission vehicle has improved GM’s reputation for innovation. Like its closest competitor, the Nissan Leaf, the Volt is rated at more than 90 miles per gallon by the EPA. The Volt is powered by a 400-pound battery pack on which the car can travel about 35 miles before it needs recharging. After that, a gasoline-powered generator drives the electric motor.

Battery fires broke out in three Volts after safety crash-testing last year, but federal regulators determined that the car was no more risky than vehicles with conventional gasoline engines. GM and federal officials believe that the fires were caused by coolant leaking from damaged plastic casing around the batteries after side-impact test crashes. They say that they don’t know of any such fires in regular use of the cars.

Alan L. Baum, an auto-industry researcher in West Bloomfield, Mich., agreed but said the perception of a safety risk has hurt sales.

“It is taking GM more time than they thought to reverse that sentiment,” Baum said. The good news, he said, is that buyers of electric and hybrid cars are probably willing to listen to GM’s side in the fire story.

Last year, GM offered to buy back Volts from any customers worried about safety. In January the automaker advised Volt owners to take the cars to a dealer for free repairs. Steel was added to plates that protect the batteries.

The investigation into the fires made the Volt a political lightning rod. Republicans accused federal safety regulators of going easy on the Volt because the government owns a stake in GM after giving it a $50 billion bailout.

The director of the highway safety agency denied giving GM favorable treatment.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Re: Volt production suspended

Fox news is the #1 most watched "news" source in the country. They have been bashing this car up one side and down the other with multiple false accusations. "it will randomly catch fire" and "who wants a car that can only drive 30 miles?" and the like. The largest shareholder of their parent company is an oil guy from the middle east. GM is fighting someone with much deeper pockets and their media campaign has been lack luster. I hate to see this car not selling like hotcakes, but the fact is it's expensive new technology with bad press. The average US car buyer is broke, and a $35k car with bad press just isn't going to do well. If I had the money I would buy one of these in a heartbeat, but the income just isn't there.

I would love to tell the gas companies to shove as I roll down the road in this:
Old 03-03-2012, 03:15 PM

I remember on this site being bitched out because I said this car was going to fail and it wasnt selling like they claimed. What happenrd to that 18 month back order and all the deposits people put down on the Volt. I guess that was all bs.
I was hoping I would be wrong, but the car is still to expensive and GM is not doing a very good job explaining how this car works.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by That Camaro Guy
Fox news is the #1 most watched "news" source in the country. They have been bashing this car up one side and down the other with multiple false accusations. "it will randomly catch fire" and "who wants a car that can only drive 30 miles?" and the like. The largest shareholder of their parent company is an oil guy from the middle east. GM is fighting someone with much deeper pockets and their media campaign has been lack luster. I hate to see this car not selling like hotcakes, but the fact is it's expensive new technology with bad press. The average US car buyer is broke, and a $35k car with bad press just isn't going to do well. If I had the money I would buy one of these in a heartbeat, but the income just isn't there.

I would love to tell the gas companies to shove as I roll down the road in this:
So Fox News is the reason the Volt isn't selling as well as GM had hoped?

Sure its not Bush's fault?
Old 03-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
I remember on this site being bitched out because I said this car was going to fail and it wasnt selling like they claimed. What happenrd to that 18 month back order and all the deposits people put down on the Volt. I guess that was all bs.
I was hoping I would be wrong, but the car is still to expensive and GM is not doing a very good job explaining how this car works.
I do remember that as well.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
No, but they probably spend as much air time bashing the car as GM buys advertising it.

IMO GM should start pushing the $350 a month lease deal more. I'd also like to see more adds talking about it getting 94 MPGe.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
slt

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
This. GM has done a horrible job marketing this car. There's so much misinformation out there and GM has done a **** poor job educating the public. People think it only goes 35 miles, or it costs $15 a charge, or it randomly catches fire, etc.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Seems to me, GM is just trying to drive up demand with $5 gas coming
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Bash me all you want, but the repubs have been tageting this car since the first dollar left the gov coffers and went to GM.
The repubs have a hard on for this car. They are bound & determined to ruin this car. They contiually blame the administration for the reason why this car exists, when we all know that's false. They had a hearing about the fires. They wanted to know who knew what & when regarding the fires. Fox had a BS piece about what they think the average salary of a Volt buyer is, bashing the car saying it's only for rich people when taxpayers are subsidizing it.
Why would a whole party be so hell bent on damaging the reputation of this car and a company? An AMERICAN company at that.

They are just pissed that GM got a government loan and that shareholders got shafted AND they see this as a way to attack the administration.

In the meantime, the competitors are probably busy readying their answer to the Volt and the repubs will probably support those cars & manufaturers but continue to bash the Volt & GM.

And it's really too bad. My cousin has one. I've driven it and it's a FANTASTIC car.

(And Jason, DO NOT lock this thread or delete it. The repubs have turned this car into a political footbal. Ackerson said it himself. The two are now tied together. Thank you.)

I guess the repubs are against American ingenuity.

Last edited by HuJass; 03-03-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
In the meantime, the competitors are probably busy readying their answer to the Volt and the repubs will probably support those cars & manufaturers but continue to bash the Volt & GM.
No probably about it. There will be a Prius version out soon and Ford is coming out with a Fusion PIHEV as well. The Prius will only go 15 miles on battery though, not sure about the Fusion.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM

No. I mentioned a few reasons it's not selling, Fox being a contributing factor.

Sure its not Bush's fault?
I have no idea where that came from or what you're getting at.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 PM

I have to agree that this vehicle has become a political punchline. I have hear so many times that the gov't gave GM 50 billion and we get the Volt.

Really, the car is pretty good, but at 40k, most people can't afford it. The people who can don't want to for political reasons. Green buyers don't want a GM product. GM is kind of in a bind with it.

I might look at one when the leases are up. Not before then.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM

As dissapointed as I have been with Fox News and conservative talk radio about the misinformation of the Volt, the math still just doesn't add up people. If you drive 15 miles to work in a 25mpg vehicle then a Volt is going to save you $1,000/yr in fuel... minus electricity increases. The car starts out at 32k??

Malibu Eco starts 7K cheaper and advertises 25 city...
Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by graham
As dissapointed as I have been with Fox News and conservative talk radio about the misinformation of the Volt, the math still just doesn't add up people. If you drive 15 miles to work in a 25mpg vehicle then a Volt is going to save you $1,000/yr in fuel... minus electricity increases. The car starts out at 32k??

Malibu Eco starts 7K cheaper and advertises 25 city...
The difference believing that the malibu is a $25,000 car, with all the bells and whistles of a $25,000 car. The volt is a $40,000 car, with all the bells and whistles of a $40,000 car.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM

I'll be the first to agree that the Volt does not make financial sense, right now.
But it's new technology. New tech costs money.
What did an IBM PC XT or AT cost back in the early '80s and what does a computer cost today?

But it's just plain wrong for the car to become a political lightning rod.
This car was debuted in concept form during the Bush administration. I bet a lot of it's development was done during the same period.

For people to say that the current administration ordered GM to produce the vehicle as a requirement for federal loans is just preposterous.

Quick Reply: Volt production suspended