Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

USA Today Review: There should be more cars as nice as Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
Here is the Lexus ES 350 without NAV.
I was talking about the 2006+ Lexus GS which has the same full color LCD touch screen with or without nav.

Or maybe you just provided the picture not because of my statement but rather to show its competition... if so, I do think the LaCrosse definitely has a more attractive interior, although the pic you provided was a little bit too close to show the lines shown in the LaCrosse pic (for a more even comparison).
Old 10-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Here is the LaCrosse without NAV.

Here is the Lexus ES 350 without NAV.

GM has lexus beat here also. Without nav is fine imo.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM

LOL at the Corolla . . . er, I mean Lexus.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 AM

I was at a sports event where they had a LaCrosse out for people to sit in. I was, hands down, blown away buy it. The exterior styling, the interior.....the everything, for a car in that price range.

I think styling is going to be the most (as if it wasn't the most already) important aspect for new GM. Sure, that Lexus radio works. It gets the job done, just like most of GM's former products. But people want to be wowed. At the end of the day, its still a radio and HVAC, but for the car mags and masses to change over, they want to see an immediate, visual difference, and the styling of this car is proof of that.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by centric
LOL at the Corolla . . . er, I mean Lexus.
If you seriously think the Corolla interior is anything like the ES350 than I can only 'LOL' at your observation skills. The LaCrosse interior is nicer than the ES350 for sure (just confirmed that in person today at my local Buick dealer) but ES350 still isn't bad for its class and is definitely nicer than anything in the classes below it.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 PM

ThreXX,

Having seen the Lacrosse, do you now wish you had waited to get it vs the Aura?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
ThreXX,

Having seen the Lacrosse, do you now wish you had waited to get it vs the Aura?
Oh it's WAY nicer than the Aura for sure and comparing the sticker prices, a comparably equipped LaCrosse is only a couple grand more... I can't imagine who in their right mind would go for the Aura or Malibu with the LaCrosse there assuming the deals are about the same on both cars. The dealer I went to also had the Malibus so we could compare them side by side and it was just amazing the difference between the two cars.

Honestly LaCrosse feels like a legit contender to the Hyndai Genesis and that's a big compliment IMO. I mean it's priced nearly as expensive as the Genesis, but still, the Genesis is a stellar car for the money. For GM to create that sort of value is pretty impressive.

Having said all of that, I got 10 grand off sticker on the Aura... 26k down to 16k. If I wanted to buy that LaCrosse today given the same outlets, I'd probably be able to get a 32k sticker (for a lightly optioned CXL) down to 28.5k best case scenario. So while 32k vs 26k in sticker price, it'd be a no-brainer for me to go with the LaCrosse, comparing 16k to 28.5k... it definitely would still be tempting to go with the LaCrosse, but I think I'd choose the Aura, especially because with this purchase I was focusing on buying a car that was cheap enough for me to not worry about dings, scratches, rattles, etc...

Only two things I didn't like on the LaCrosse... stupid chrome port hole things on the hood (my dad didn't like them either) and the stupid choice for them to make the 3.0L V6 the standard engine despite the fact that it gets WORSE economy than the 3.6 and makes less power and probably costs almost the same to produce as the 3.6 since they're practically the same engine.

Oh... first time I've seen a nice cleanly integrated navigation unit into the center stack. Kudos to GM for actually finally including nav, and for making it look like it came from the factory and not my local best buy installer.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
Like Joe knows anything about Automatic Transmissions

Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 PM

I'm sorry, but this....

just looks very cheap. I thought green backlighting of simple LCD displays went out of style in the 90's?
Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 AM

I saw my first one in motion today. It looked great.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've been pleased with the 6AT in my 09 Aura XR 4cyl. The 2-3 shift is a bit on the firm side but I don't mind firm shifts at all and I once heard an explanation for it... something to do with fuel economy that makes everything except the 1-2 shift more or less instant rather than gradual... something to do with the clutches but I forget.

What's odd is that the title of the review is very positive but the review itself mostly focuses on negatives.
I rented the exact same car and the transmission drove me absolutely crazy. for an every day driver I would rather have an automatic but if transmissions are gonna be like that I want a manual.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zigroid
I rented the exact same car and the transmission drove me absolutely crazy. for an every day driver I would rather have an automatic but if transmissions are gonna be like that I want a manual.
Really? What drove you crazy about it?

Maybe it needed more time to learn your driving style. Ours seems to have adapted to mine pretty quickly... but I prefer my vehicles to upshift early and be hesitant to downshift. I'm economy-minded, though. Then again how can you not be if you're driving a 160-something horsepower 4-cyl mid sized sedan.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I was talking about the 2006+ Lexus GS which has the same full color LCD touch screen with or without nav.

Or maybe you just provided the picture not because of my statement but rather to show its competition... if so, I do think the LaCrosse definitely has a more attractive interior, although the pic you provided was a little bit too close to show the lines shown in the LaCrosse pic (for a more even comparison).
I was posting ES b/c it was a competitor. I think that having LCD's with or without NAV would be good. I also think that it would be coming soon as well.

Yes, and the pics are stolen from another forum. The pic of the ES is too close for an even comparison, but that is all I had

And it seems that no manufacture wants to show their radio systems without NAV.